2005 suburban z71 with a knocking noise inside the dash....?

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
There is a knocking noise inside my dash on the suburban. Anyone know what it could be? I know this is a total crap shoot. Hopfully someone has an idea...

rayra

Expedition Leader
At a wild guess, an XM radio receiver antenna module plugged in-line behind the factory stereo unit? They're often held in place by two-sided tape and come loose.

Lot of stuff in there, but it's not generally anything that's loose to knock about. Is there any 'mass' to it, or is it more of a clicking? Do all your ventilation controls work as they should, in both output locations and temperature mixes? There are several solenoid / actuators that control air direction and temp mix, they can get thrown out of range and the plastic gearing makes a repetitive click / minor knock as it tries to re-engage.

Need more info about when specifically the noise occurs (turning, hitting dips or bumps, braking, etc) and where it sounds like it is coming from. Could just as easily be a busted front shock mount, heard THRU the dash in front of you. Or even a broken front coil spring. Not enough info in the OP to really make a qualified guess.

I've been up in my '02's dash a few times in recent months, exploring a stereo swap to double-din in-dash DVD, looking at the OnStar panel for aux switch installations, excising a dead backseat entertainment system and changing the cabin air filters. And replaced an air temp mix actuator in the missus' '05 Tahoe Z71, so I've got some passing familiarity with what all is going on in there.

surgery04_zps638ec35a.jpg

I'd seriously suggest inspecting the front shock mounts. I have a similar knock in my old C-10 that turned out to be the upper mount bolt on my front left shock, loose in the frame. The nut on the shock side was solid, things LOOKED good. But had a neighbor bounce the front end around while I looked at things and viola I could see the top mount flop around loose at the frame.

kojackJKU

New shocks etc installed. its up behind the 4wd controls, and you can feel it in the steering wheel when you hear it. its' def. inside the dash not a transmitted clunk. sounds metallic, and all air functions work as intended. I guess im going to have to dive in and figure it out. I am just waiting until I get a new headunit for the rig as mine now comes in and out at interesting times. The other thing that does not work is the rear wiper, it was working intermittently but now theres nothing.

rayra

Expedition Leader
^
That's the next culprit and a common issue.

https://www.bing.com/search?q=chevy+truck+steering+coupling+clunk&pc=MOZI&form=MOZSBR

There's not much else up in that area besides all the wiring looms and connectors. Pull the fuse panel cover on the left end of the dash, look for a loose relay / flasher switch? If it was central / steering wheel right, I'd suggest looking at the upper attachment of the vertical tubular dash support. Between the instrument cluster and stereo. The bottom end of that pipe is by your right shin on the tunnel, when your foot is on the gas pedal.

Last edited:

kojackJKU

The steering shafts on these trucks have been known to "clunk". Removing the shaft bolt underhood and sliding the sleeve towards the firewall a few times usually redistributes the grease and stops the clunking for a few thousand miles.

I will try that out and look at all the brackets under the dash when it stops raining. I will add a bit of grease in the shaft as well. I know that has not been touched since it was in our possession.

kojackJKU

Hopfully I wil get at it today. I installed my new pro comp wheels on my Jeep yesterday. So that ate up much of my day there. Hopfully I will get at it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94