Montero 2.5 gen e-Code headlights

BEG

Adventurer
I just picked a '00 Endeavor package about a month ago, parked it, and I've been slowly catching up on all the maintenance. While I was checking out the front end, I took a closer look at the headlights and noticed they had markings I'd never seen before. There's no "DOT" anywhere. There's a big 'E' and a small '13' in a circle, the letters "HC/R", the word "JAPAN" and an arrow pointing to the drivers side. My preliminary research says that these are e-code headlights, which is usually a good thing since they tend to be a great deal brighter, but the arrow has me concerned. Do I have headlights made for left hand traffic? It's not currently running so I can't test them and I didn't drive it at night before parking it so I don't know what the cut off looks like. Anyone else come across this issue? Thanks.

Brian

Eric M

Adventurer
Those are the normal headlights. The arrow is pointing to the driver's side, correct? It says DOT on it.

BEG

Adventurer
Well, you're right. I checked again and the very last thing it says along the bottom is SAE and DOT so I guess I don't have to worry about them being legal. The arrow threw me off based on the info on this page:
http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/lights/codes/codes.html

However, the rest of the markings are consistent with what I've seen for ECE compliant headlights. Is that typical for all Monteros or did some come with a U.S. spec headlight?

KyleT

Explorer
It looks to me like they are both compliant. Typically ecodes flare up on the right side and don't illuminate reflected light upwards to light signs.

On my discovery the ecodes are waaaay different than the dot, but they are very similar to my monteros headlights as far as pattern and throw.

But to be certain I would look in the parts book.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
No need for e-codes on a gen 2/2.5, there are plenty of bulb upgrades that put out more light than 90% of the vehicles of that era, you can find such options via a quick search.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94