Flatbed and composite panel build on Dodge 2500

Jeep

Supporting Sponsor: Overland Explorer Expedition V
Great stuff as usual Mark!! I forgot to check in on the this when you mentioned it to me a few weeks back. Glad I finally remembered. :)

Thanks guys, I'm doing some homework for you Shane! How's you project coming along?

xtremexj

Adventurer
Thanks guys, I'm doing some homework for you Shane! How's you project coming along?

Which one? LOL!! I haven't touched the buggy for at least six months and I decided I needed a teardrop trailer to pull behind the JK instead of towing the daily driver. Check in the expedition trailers section for updates on that. :sombrero:

Jeep

Nothing new to report on the camper construction other than panels will arrive next week. But in came a package of 5 Mercedes Sprinter 4x4 1 ton vans! We have done several builds on these for different industries but these are the first 4 wheel drives. These will be built into high angle rescue units.

4x4 Sprinter.jpg

I really like these units, and will most likely look at building one to test the market......so easy with these.

Jeep

We are building high angle rescue units, will be fully equipped for rescue on structures, confined space, etc. staffed with 3 paramedics. They will also double as an ambulance pending situations, so a lot of equipment and storage systems on board, we do a lot of work for fire and rescue. I have been involved with Sprinter builds for a lot of different industries, I love em, very well built. The new Dodge offerings don't hold a candle to them, I haven't had a new Ford Transit yet but I'm looking forward to getting my hands on one.

Jeep

Finally!

Back under way! Truck came in with a nice shipment for me and a few other jobs. Got all of the CAD files pounded out and the cutting should start in the next day or two, just have to find time to print out the drawings, not much but we have been busy! All the plumbing and electrical are en route, going to size tanks once I get the floor plan taped off and get a real feel for the space. Heating will be Espar hydronic with a Isotherm hot water tank, Webasto diesel cooktop, I generally like to stick to one manufacturer when I can but we have had such good success with Espar in the last 15 years that I am hesitant to stray from the product. We have replaced competitor products with Espar, but never the other way around. Magnum Energy 2800 watt pure sine inverter, Samlex 300 watt solar, for batteries I will be running 3 group 31 AGM's for ease of replacement and service anywhere, Thetford C403 cassette toilet, all pumps are Whale, Nova Kool compressor fridge, and I'm also adding an induction cook top to see if it's a feasible alternative for a cook top with a mid sized power supply. Built a few rolling vertical storage racks for panels too, at 7' x 17' they eat up the floor space pretty good.

Image.jpg

Hopefully it will take shape quickly.

Healeyjet

Explorer
You have it well planned out it should go together quickly. What do you use for tanks? Looks great and as always nice to see progress.

Ward

Gifu

Observer
Great build here. Really like your attention to detail.

Question: is there a build up somewhere on your other camper? F650 was it? Or F-Something?

E.Roy

Aspiring Explorer
Sub'd. This is excellent engineering and information, thank you for sharing. I recently had opportunity to examine the Dodge 5500 chassis up close. I am not surprised that it held up well with its 5/16" thick frame. The leaf spring hangers are very robust, well pretty much everything is on it

Jeep

For tanks I am going with HDPE, we have a local plastic manufacturing company that does really high quality rotational moulding, their tanks are real heavy duty with very substantial threaded connection points. If I can't get an off the shelf unit, we will design a tank and fabricate a mould for them, there is a really nice place to suck up some room with a tapered tank and I'd like to use it, so very likely one will be custom. I have built aluminum tanks in the past but prefer poly.

My F-650 build can be found here, started out as a F-700 4x4 but ran out of power. http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/expedition-vehicles/933305-f-700-4x4-camper.html

And yes, the Dodge 5500 has one tough chassis, we just did destructive testing on a F-350 chassis, and it held up very well. Thanks for the comments guy.

Jeep

Thanks for the track saw tip Victorian, definitely speeds the cutting up, nice edges, and accurate.

Image 1.jpg

Floor and walls are cut.

Image 2.jpg

Even the scraps are accurate!

Image 3.jpg

locrwln

Expedition Leader
I seriously need to check with you to see what a "shortbed" version of that flat bed would run me. I have an extended cab shortbed 2007 Chevrolet and I have been trying to find something like yours and haven't had any luck. I am also anticipating your camper and I watched the F700 build on Pirate, so I know the quality of your work.

Jack

Jeep

The floor is 3" thick, and all my extrusions are set up for 1 1/2" panels but I did design them to be easily manipulated, so I trimmed off 1 edge and formed a 90 degree flange from 3/16 5052 aluminum. The flange gets riveted to the extrusion and it will accommodate the 3" floor and the 1.5" wall panel nicely. Pulled it apart to get the extrusions powder coated and they will be installed tomorrow night, after that, the walls go up!

Image 5.jpg

Lower rear corner, cnc router makes nice work of the funny corners.

Image 6.jpg

Also whipped up a nice 304 stainless grill, had to do some product testing on the weekend, you can cook a lot of food FAST!

Image.jpg

And…..hopped on the ultimate exploration vehicle and caught a view of the first snow to stay on the eastern slopes of the Canadian Rockies, 30 KM of single track in from the nearest road, was a great day.

Image 2.jpg

Cheers everybody!
Mark.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94