HELP-Electrical Problem from Hell

walley_eye

I have run into the electrical nightmare I didn't want in buying a used 2012 F-150 XTR 5.0L 4x4 w/ factory tow package.

This nightmare first began this year after it had rained outside.

After starting up the truck in the driveway the dash showed the battery light. Then it got worse.

We took the truck in to a Ford dealer and they replaced the alternator. Well that turned out not to be the problem.

Now whether it's sitting in the driveway or driving the whole dash will die out then come back binging, showing the battery light and the radio cuts out with it. Sometimes the radio and climate control cuts out while the dash still works and then comes back and then the dash and radio go all haywire cutting in and out. Every time it does this I hear a click from the computer behind the kick panel, but the wife says it's coming from under the dash.

It's been back to the dealer twice now and the last time they said they took out and took apart the harness checking it for water and or corrosion and found nothing. Then the mech said he found the problem in the computer by the passenger side kick panel saying the harness wasn't plugged in all the way. That made no sense to me but ok.

Turns out that wasn't it either and the problem continues. So back to the dealership it goes Monday.

Worst part is the Ford Factory warranty is over(was shocked to find out it's only a two year warranty) so this is covered by my extended warranty I bought with the truck from a private insurer.

Any ideas?

Here's a video to show what we see on the dash. https://vimeo.com/130046698

Sent from my Grizzly 700 somewhere in the Canadian wilderness.

Jkenosh

Observer
I'm no expert but I would be checking all my grounds And maybe the connection on the main harness and bcm

Watt maker

Things I recommend checking; make sure all the fuses are plugged in all the way in both fuse panels, also check the main 12v feed to each fuse panel is secure, check all the grounds ( I would remove the ground and thoroughly clean the grounding point to bare metal than re-assemble), check the battery voltage while this is going on, check for water intrusion at the trailer plug, check for signs of mice/rodents.

Hope this helps.

Last year I traded my 2012 F150 ecoboost in because of excessive fuel in the oil, engine knocking, and an electrical problem very similar to your issue. Unfortunately, both myself and the Ford dealer were unsuccessful at fixing any of the issues. Although, after cleaning a few of the grounds the problem did happen less. Honestly, between me and the Ford dealer we probably could've fixed it but I was swamped with work and just couldn't see changing my schedule around my truck and Ford dealer so I traded it not long after the electrical issues started. I had already been living with the engine troubles for a few months.

Good luck!

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
If the truck has this history, the warranty/dealer/Ford should still cover it. If the dealer won't, then you can call Ford directly and lodge a complaint. Save and organize any and all documentation you have for the work done to prove the problem has been ongoing and Ford should work with the dealer on either getting the problem fixed or just replacing the truck. Ford really does tend to stand behind their trucks, especially when you can prove that its been a lemon for you from the dealer. Heck, I drive a 91' Bronco and there are still things a Ford dealer can do for me for free just for taking it in.

walley_eye

Well it turns out it was a wire in the harness that had a crack in it and when it got wet I guess it was shorting out somehow. Wire replaced and problem fixed apparently. Drove the truck tonight and it didn't happen. I guess I'll wait for the rain and see if it happens again or not.

Mechanic said this one was the toughest issue to solve of his career and he's an old guy.

I feel better about my Ford once again.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
<--Master Gen Tech: Yes, a broken wire hidden in the harness of a non critical component is a serious B to find and repair. Even worse, yours was intermittent. If it don't stay broken, we can t fix it.

FordGuy1

Adventurer
The dealer will not be able to warranty the repair. They can however use there CLP funds and help you with what we call a P18 repair. They can also request help from there CSM via FMC360.

walley_eye

And what do all those letters mean?

The factory warranty was done so the private warranty we paid for when we bought the truck kicked in and after a $100 deductible all is good.

FordGuy1

Adventurer
And what do all those letters mean?

The factory warranty was done so the private warranty we paid for when we bought the truck kicked in and after a $100 deductible all is good.

Dealers receive funds from Ford to use when customers are outside of warranty as a good will tool, CLP, which stands for "Customer Loyalty Program" The dealer has discretion with this money. CSM stands for Customer Service Manager which is a contact person that is assigned to dealers to assist with customer issues. You can also call 1-800-392-Ford and start a case.

Rich

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles