Tongue Jack w/ Pneumatic Tire

FlagRS

Gone to the dogs.
I want to replace the tongue jack with plastic wheel on my Jackwagon. I unhooked at my last campsite and the ****ty plastic wheel didn't move well in the dirt. So I'm looking for a nice heavy duty tongue jack with a pneumatic tire like this one available from the AT gang.

I worked my google foo and can't seem to find it anywhere else. Anyone know where else this type of tongue jack might be available?

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
Nice. I had a welder modify my tongue jack to fit two tires. Works great but I will have to check out the croft trailer system. IMG_20150306_181803_572.jpg

FlagRS

Gone to the dogs.
Does yours have a removeable foot? This might work: http://www.crofttrailer.com/croft-pneumatic-wheel-kit/#page=page-1

Edit: Or cut the old wheel off and drill a hole in the tube to accept the kit.

It's a Fulton with a snap ring mount. The wheel and it's housing are welded onto the inner tube. I don't really like the snap ring mount either. The mounting bracket that holds the snap ring has bent a little from moving the trailer around on the tongue jack, now the tongue jack has a little wobble to it. I really should replace the whole unit.

FlagRS

Gone to the dogs.
I'm still looking for a new heavy duty tongue jack and I just saw this unit from ArkPak.

[video]https://youtu.be/W7F1VHaMqhE[/video]

Looks pretty good.

RagnarD

Adventurer
Northern tool sells wheels like that. I just bought a metal one can made a bracket to attach it to landing gear. A pic of your current landing gear would help.

They had up to 8", I picked the 5" because I just needed to roll it around on concrete.

i-7L5qhw6-L.jpg

Bulldog also makes a jack that is just a flat foot with holes drilled to allow bolting a wheel.

http://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Jack/Bulldog/BD195368.html

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Air filled tongue jack tires never work well. I've had them on boat trailers, camp trailers, horse trailers, gear trailers etc. I always end up replacing them with a solid wheel or two side by side etc. The big issue is that very very very very few small tires are of any decent quality and simply lack the rating to carry the weight, that and I was always having to air them up. The only advantage I could see having them would be on soft ground where you could lower the PSI a little to keep them from digging in.

FlagRS

Gone to the dogs.
Air filled tongue jack tires never work well. I've had them on boat trailers, camp trailers, horse trailers, gear trailers etc. I always end up replacing them with a solid wheel or two side by side etc. The big issue is that very very very very few small tires are of any decent quality and simply lack the rating to carry the weight, that and I was always having to air them up. The only advantage I could see having them would be on soft ground where you could lower the PSI a little to keep them from digging in.

Good advice - I like the ability to unhitch the trailer and move it around either off pavement or on. I have recently found that after unhitching lowering the jack helps with maneuverability of the trailer. But my crap Fulton jack and cheap plastic wheel still should be replaced with something a little beefier.

PCO6

Adventurer
That's been my experience too. I'm going with a 1,500 lb. marine jack on a trailer I am currently building (thread upcoming!). It has a plastic wheel - 4" wide & 8" dia. It "should" work.

picture.php

Last edited:

brian90744

American Trekker
Home made job on my M416

I don't think any jack dolly wheel rolls easy in sand, A little better on dirt. I found a 8"solid tire on aluminum wheel with ball bearings someplace and it works OK=brian

Attachments

• dolly wheel.jpg
    dolly wheel.jpg
    364.4 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:

changed4ever

Observer
That happens to me when my little kids happen to pick my phone up as I am looking at threads lol. Sorry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brentbba

Explorer
I built my own borrowing the idea from AT when I saw it on Paul May's trailer. Works great on hard surfaces and soft dirt/sand.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne