Kayak Weight capacity?

digdug18

I'm looking at THIS ******** Sporting Goods Kayak, it's on sale for $199 for fathers day. I'm 300lbs, I figure that since it's rated at 275 that I'm fine, do you agree? Or should I wait for one of the higher rated ones to go on sale?

I'm losing weight, and will be using it on flat water, lakes mostly to further my weight loss, but just saying.

Andrew

BushHead

Adventurer
I wouldn't if I were you. I've never been in that boat, but I'm 275 and the yaks that I have rated for 275 I sink them pretty low... I mean they work but its not comfortable. I would look at a Old town Vapor, pretty cheap and loads up to 325 or 350 I think and mine carries me well, plus entry and exit is a lot easier.

digdug18

Ok, thanks, I'll keep my eye out for another cheap boat with a higher rating, or just buy a canoe.

vicali

Adventurer
Wait for a bigger boat. You don't want to spend your time on the water worrying about those 25lbs and how big those waves are, etc.. Plus the extra margin can be for gear!

jaxyaks

Adventurer
That kayak will not be comfortable for you that close to the weight capacity, I work for a kayak company and i would recommend something that has at least 100 pounds higher capacity than your weight.

01tundra

Explorer
Not sure how you feel about SOT's, but we just added two Perception Pescador 12.0's to our collection and they are wonderful boats at a great price. We got ours from Academy Sports. They are rated for 350 lbs, paddle very good and are stable.

kayak%20rack%202_zpsdzdv7ejp.jpg

shopkins

aka Glitch
I would avoid the ones from dicks. Friend of mine was looking at them but the bottoms are VERY flimsy. I can stand up in mine and fish without the bottom moving even the slightest, I have an Ascend fs12 from bass pro. The ascends are a really good bang for your buck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste