Landcruiser 6x4 + Ambulance body + convert to extra cab from 12,000 km away = ???????

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
This is not a build thread. I am too lazy and uncoordinated for one of those. Think of it as a random gathering of bits and pieces related to the project.

Summary of the current situation and thought process behind the build.
1- We have made the decision that we will not be returning to Australia to live.
2- We have not explored Australia to the full (we always figured we would do it when we were old and living back there).
3- I do have a 6x4 landcruiser FJ75 that has been sitting in Australia awaiting my return for the last 17 years.
4- It still starts and sort of runs but every seal is dried up an weeps/leaks fluids.
5- Our old method of travel (17 years ago) was outside living and RTT's. My bladder and older bones do not want that method of travel anymore.
6- Its 12,000 km from Phoenix to Brisbane.
7- We do have great relatives and friends who want us to do the outback/deserts with them and are not afraid of a challenging project or hard work. (beer budget will be rather large on this one)
8- Vehicle needs to be comfortable for 1 - 3 month trips in remote locations. (1500 km all road fuel capacity) 10 day water and beer supply.
9- Comfortably carry 2 adults and 1 child (pre-teen)

So somehow I was cruising the Gumtree (Australia's craigslist) and came across an ambulance body that looked as though it would fit onto the 6 wheeler to give me the level of comfort I have become used to with the Freighliner or ford ambo's. The stars aligned, not only was the price right but it was just up the road (Aussie term for within 100 km's). The guys checked it out and deposit paid waiting on availability of truck with crane to pick it up on the weekend.

The initial plan is to:
  1. pull the tray off the 6 wheeler.
  2. retrieve the ambo box.
  3. take lots of photos and measurements.
  4. chase down a wrecked landcruiser to get a 1HZ diesel and all the bit that are currently leaking.
  5. preferably an extra cab cruiser so we can have a more comfortable cab for 3 people.
  6. Google sketchup for both the body fitting and interior build/outfit.

And now the bit you really clicked onto this thread for, the photos.

The cruiser as it sits now.
IMG_1608.jpg

The ambo box.
Ambo Box Australia.jpg

Candidate cruiser for the engine/cab/running gear.
Landcruiser extra cab australia.jpg

Fugly

Adventurer
Ozrockrat

I am going to watch this space ....
Going to be a good build ...
Been looking at the Ambo crusers...
Thinking they would make a good camper....

Cheers Fugly

Last edited:

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
Another piece of the puzzle is in place (well at the right location anyway). Waiting on some interior shots and dimensions to start playing sketchup with.

Ambo Box Australia 2.jpg

Ambo Box Australia 3.jpg

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
Well someone beat us to the extra cab landcruiser. So as an alternative I think we will initially get another single cab and place the box back far enough so that it can be extended later. Probably in a country other than Australia because complying with the ADR and Queensland motor regs will be a PITA. Another alternative I am investigating is getting a troop carrier and shortening up the cab to be basically a dual cab configuration. That has some potential failure points in that it may cause the box to sit too far back and the other issue will be roof height.

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
Some progress. Picked up a cab chassis in bits. My cab had a fair bit of rust starting and was an FJ. So we grabbed a HZJ75 that someone had started to restore. This will supply the cab, engine, tranny tbox and axles plus the dual tanks, snorkel etc. Probably just bundle the leftovers together and sell them off when we have finished.

But while I was chasing land cruisers I also came across this troopy. I liked the fact it was a 3 door which will make the shortened up troop carrier idea more useful. So I grabbed it to. It came with a heap of extras that I can throw straight onto the 6 wheeler like the winch bar, winch, side rails and best of all a turbo engine (Mike Vine Turbos). Hmmm do I want 75HP or 135HP. Let me consider the options for a millisecond.

11017226_707794915989439_7721707455942272534_o.jpg 11536445_707794855989445_2340276816004999718_o.jpg

11543027_711758602259737_947202565_o.jpg 11663947_711758725593058_1197292706_o.jpg

This is what I am thinking of building.

Troopy crew cab.jpg

Last edited:

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
Landcruiser 6x4 + Ambulance body + convert to extra cab from 12,000 km away =...

Progress at last. Managed to get to Oz for a couple of weeks. And for a quick summary I now have a troopy that is on the road and my run about. I originally grabbed it to use it for a donor. But it is too good to wreck. So throw in a spare motor and cleanup the front hubs etc plus a few minor repairs and its registered again.

Then onto the 6 wheeler. Made up a subframe to mount the box to. Just using rubber (land cruiser body mounts) and rigid mounting the subframe at the moment but have allowed for a 3 point mount if it is needed. A couple of days spent chasing the wiring in the box. I wish this one was like the American ones where they name every wire.

Fitted the one of the water tanks and the air tank before putting the box on. There will be 2 water tanks (130 liters approx 30 gallons) and flushed the auxiliary fuel tank (120 liters) plus a heap of scale/dirt/who knows what removed from the chassis etc and

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440015725.492708.jpg

Than the big moment. Putting the box on. Ran into some interesting issues. Excavator would not work as it had a hydraulic problem. Some the theory was to drop off the rear drive wheels and back it under the box using the front axle. Hmmm driveshaft turns but the wheels do not. Seems like a free wheeling hub issue so hooked up a hilux and pulled it under. The used the highly unstable hi lift jacks to lower it into place. Anyway let the pictures tell the story.

https://vimeo.com/136151179

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440015775.474097.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439416712.261068.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439416712.261068.jpg
    304.5 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles