motorized boating

DoiNomazi

Two Nomads
We added a smaller inflatable boat ( KaBoat) to our flotilla. It fits in the back of the 3rd gen 4Runner. The 9.8 HP outboard fits on the back seat. So far, it seems like a good combo for going places and exploring some water destinations.

We finished breaking-in the motor and we tested the boat's limits in the surf...

[video=vimeo;129852840]https://vimeo.com/129852840[/video]

Last edited:

zelatore

Explorer
I'm not familiar with KaBoat - I usually work with stuff more like the Azimut that passed you early on and left you pumping water after crossing his wake. FWIW, he's probably got about 1500 hp, so it wasn't really much of a contest. :) What sort of hull is it? Roll up? RIB? HP air floor? Anything short of a full RIB is just a bucking bronco in a chop. She also looks extremely narrow for an inflatable - most of the smaller ones I deal with are about 10' long and around 5' wide.
And what's with Fire Island not having any dinghy docks?
Although standard boating practice is 'bow into the waves', on a small dinghy when I encounter wakes from large boats I usually run at them then turn to take them nearly broadside at the last moment. I can stay on plane and just sort of ride over them without too much rolling, though again I'm usually running a RIB in the 10-15' range. If I head into the wake at the usual 30-45*, I'll either launch myself hard into the air if I'm on plane or likely take water over the bow if I idle into it. The side-on approach isn't exactly textbook but works well when running such a small boat.

refried

Adventurer
Nice trip, I lived/worked on the south shore and haven't been thru there in close to 20 years. I was taking a small boat back from R.I. in heavy fog, was running low on fuel and wanted to stop at Captree to fill up. This was before GPS and I stopped outside the inlet to get my bearings (and find the inlet), I could see the light and hear the bell but they were not where I thought they should be. I sat for a few minutes longer, Then the fog started to clear, I had been sucked into the inlet without knowing it. I finished the trip inside in bright sun.

DoiNomazi

Two Nomads
I'm not familiar with KaBoat - I usually work with stuff more like the Azimut that passed you early on and left you pumping water after crossing his wake. FWIW, he's probably got about 1500 hp, so it wasn't really much of a contest. :) What sort of hull is it? Roll up? RIB? HP air floor? Anything short of a full RIB is just a bucking bronco in a chop. She also looks extremely narrow for an inflatable - most of the smaller ones I deal with are about 10' long and around 5' wide.
And what's with Fire Island not having any dinghy docks?
Although standard boating practice is 'bow into the waves', on a small dinghy when I encounter wakes from large boats I usually run at them then turn to take them nearly broadside at the last moment. I can stay on plane and just sort of ride over them without too much rolling, though again I'm usually running a RIB in the 10-15' range. If I head into the wake at the usual 30-45*, I'll either launch myself hard into the air if I'm on plane or likely take water over the bow if I idle into it. The side-on approach isn't exactly textbook but works well when running such a small boat.

The KaBoat is narrower than regular inflatable boats, it has a HP bottom and no keel, which makes tracking a full time job... :) Our boat is 15' long.

Yes, the higher, closer to each other, waves caused by a strong wake can cause very hard jumps at higher speeds and yes on negotiating under an angle, other than 90 degrees., almost graciously dancing on it sideways. Steeper waves jump the gunwales at any angle and keep one busy pumping. The boat has certain limitations but it is a light fun craft that fits in the trunk and it's easy to deploy.

@refried yes, the fog can be a bit tricky, but all the fun is gone when using the GPS. We still had a bit of fun with the sand bars, but the GPS with a nautical chart chased the mystery away. The wind can blow quite a bit in the area.

refried

Adventurer
@refried yes, the fog can be a bit tricky, but all the fun is gone when using the GPS. We still had a bit of fun with the sand bars, but the GPS with a nautical chart chased the mystery away. The wind can blow quite a bit in the area.

Yes, The fog combined with the narrow channels/moving sand bars always kept things interesting. I found The Nassau county police boat (Marine 5?, The big Scopinich designed boat) up on the marsh high and dry one morning just east of the first Wantagh bridge in Seaford. I have a great picture of it somewhere but haven't seen it in years. I had fun with the Coast Guard one night, they kept me at the Jones Inlet station one day past dark (long story) and I didn't have working running lights, so when I left they insisted on following me in the RIB. I took them over the flats at 60+ mph until I heard them run aground and stop. I kept going knowing they'd be there for quite a while.

DoiNomazi

Two Nomads
Yes, The fog combined with the narrow channels/moving sand bars always kept things interesting. I found The Nassau county police boat (Marine 5?, The big Scopinich designed boat) up on the marsh high and dry one morning just east of the first Wantagh bridge in Seaford. I have a great picture of it somewhere but haven't seen it in years. I had fun with the Coast Guard one night, they kept me at the Jones Inlet station one day past dark (long story) and I didn't have working running lights, so when I left they insisted on following me in the RIB. I took them over the flats at 60+ mph until I heard them run aground and stop. I kept going knowing they'd be there for quite a while.

I'd never ride without functioning navigational lights. I need to stay visible, so bigger boats don't run me over. I always have all the items on the list, fire extinguisher, emergency flag, horn, whistle, anchor, nautical charts, VHF radio, strobe, PFD's. As you know, the boat traffic can be significant in the area, why risk a collision, when it can be avoided? Safety is always a priority.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Seal Team 1.5! HA HA
We have hauled our 9ft Avon Redcrest up to the lake the past few summers and putzed around some with the kids. Its our tender for our sailboat we run the old school original 4cycle direct drive 2hp honda on it no keel its no fun and just a barge to putz with. I've considered a nesting dinghy the PT11 nesting dinghy would increase our putzing range and offer much better performance than our rubber ducky.

Your rig looks pretty good are you using a 5hp? Moves pretty well for not having a keel.

DoiNomazi

Two Nomads
Seal Team 1.5! HA HA
We have hauled our 9ft Avon Redcrest up to the lake the past few summers and putzed around some with the kids. Its our tender for our sailboat we run the old school original 4cycle direct drive 2hp honda on it no keel its no fun and just a barge to putz with. I've considered a nesting dinghy the PT11 nesting dinghy would increase our putzing range and offer much better performance than our rubber ducky.

Your rig looks pretty good are you using a 5hp? Moves pretty well for not having a keel.

I guess, putzing around is the term that describes best our boating style... lol We're running a 4 stroke 9.8 HP Nissan on it, the maximum power/weight allowed by the manufacturer. It is fun in the breeze on a hot sunny day, no high expectations. We still love our tandem folding kayak. That yak is made to go places, rain or shine... :)

refried

Adventurer
I'd never ride without functioning navigational lights. I need to stay visible, so bigger boats don't run me over. I always have all the items on the list, fire extinguisher, emergency flag, horn, whistle, anchor, nautical charts, VHF radio, strobe, PFD's. As you know, the boat traffic can be significant in the area, why risk a collision, when it can be avoided? Safety is always a priority.

It was my work boat/shop boat , It never went out at night. I was just headed to Short Beach to start a boat, It should have been a fast one hour trip during the middle of a Sunday to save somebodys afternoon but instead they kept me at the coast guard station giving me tickets for having life jackets in the original plastic bags (to keep them clean) and throwing a wake in a no wake zone (it's impossible not to throw a wake under a bridge during a flood tide). I did get to spend the afternoon with one of the mechanics showing me around their shop and the boats they were working on.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I guess, putzing around is the term that describes best our boating style... lol We're running a 4 stroke 9.8 HP Nissan on it, the maximum power/weight allowed by the manufacturer. It is fun in the breeze on a hot sunny day, no high expectations. We still love our tandem folding kayak. That yak is made to go places, rain or shine... :)

I really like what these guys are doing regarding designs and kit boats.
This video was more about testing a propane OB engine but you get a sense of the PT11.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oit_Nq7OrWQ

This is the whole boat in all its configurations
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsWtDD_pl6o

I wish they made the same one only about 15ft long vs the 11 footer.
I also like the 600lb PT skiff - yes I have boatitis. Currently have a RS Feva and a 28foot Ericson sailboat out at the club.
PT skiff
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K61LAuwElKk

Neuner

Observer
Came across your thread after checking to see if anyone does any exploration with their inflatable boats, kayaks, etc and glad I did. Really like the video.

This year we got a 15' inflatable with a 20 hp 4 stroke and love taking it out on the bay and ocean. Lots of fun fishing, dolphin watching and hunting for seashells on some of the more remote islands. Fits easily in our van so we're taking it to a lot of other places that we wouldn't have with a larger towable boat.

Handles the waves really well, but like you, am just as prepared.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94