Dodge Ram 5500 motorhome

GNTY

Adventurer
Ward, I wish that I got on expo more as I would have loved to meet up with you since you were in Lethbridge. Man, I would sure love to see your beautiful build and meet you, the brains behind it.

Jeep

Supporting Sponsor: Overland Explorer Expedition V
Sorry I never checked back here for a bit but if you need I have a ton of Espar and Wallas pick up tubes, let me know if you need and I'll pop one on the Poro truck, no charge. Fits any tank.

Healeyjet

Explorer
Thanks Mark. Just to make this as information heavy and because I simply don't know, do the different companies use their own fuel tank pick-up tubes?
Ward

busbart

Observer
Hi Ward, what if you push the pick-up tube a bit lower, so in the night it can use some more diesel (less than 1/4 tank in the main tank), and then in the morning when you start up, the transfer system (automatically) fills up to the 1/4 tank level or more?
I guess your truck still starts whith a little less than 1/4 level of fuel in the tank?

Jeep

Supporting Sponsor: Overland Explorer Expedition V
I see the Oasis needs a 1/4" fuel line ID, Espar and Walas use 1.5, 2, and 2.5 mm so they are much smaller. .250 is almost 6.5mm, I will look around and see what I have for a 1/4" pick up.

18000 Lbs.

Read through 49 pages with interest.

Question (obviously you can't answer this until you have significant road miles behind you):
How will those tires do on the highway? Noise? Rolling friction? Fuel economy?
Obviously, off-the-highway those tires will be exactly what the doctor ordered, but I am wondering how they will be at cruising speed (60? 65? 70 mph?)

I occasionally go off road (sand, mostly) and have thought about this route, but would love to get some real-world data.

What pressure do you plan to run on the highway?
Does your factory TPMS system work with these tires?

^Bernie

Healeyjet

Explorer
Thanks Bernie.

I have only driven about 1000 miles on the highway with the tires but so far so good. No appreciable road noise that I can hear. The truck has lots of pickup off the line considering the weight. I don't notice the tires being a factor at all on highway. The larger diameter means on rougher roads they roll over some of the small holes easier. The truck drives great even at higher speeds although I am hoping to be a 58-60 MPH guy while driving the truck if I can. The larger tires throw off the trucks fuel mileage calculations and odometer so I will have to do it the old way.
As for pressure I had no idea what to run so I reached out to Jeep (Mark) and he said around 78 on the highway and wouldn't go under 70 off road. He said to watch tire temperatures if running lower pressures.
The truck I ordered does not have TPMS built in although I hope to add it. Both for the truck tires as well as for our towed vehicle should we have one. We will tow our Jeep LJ and I would hate to have a blowout on the towed vehicle and not know it and TMS will help us there.
We are heading out on a 4000 mile trip to Expo in a couple days so I ill have more real world data when we get back.

Ward

S2DM

Adventurer
Thanks Bernie.

I have only driven about 1000 miles on the highway with the tires but so far so good. No appreciable road noise that I can hear. The truck has lots of pickup off the lines considering the weight. I don't notice the tires being a factor at all on highway. The larger diameter means on rougher roads they roll over some of the small holes easier. The truck drives great even at higher speeds although I am hoping to be a 58-60 MPH guy while driving the truck if I can. The larger tires throw off the trucks fuel mileage calculations and odometer so I will have to do it the old way.
As for pressure I had no idea what to run so I reached out to Jeep (Mark) and he said around 78 on the highway and wouldn't go under 70 off road. He said to watch tire temperatures if running lower pressures.
The truck I ordered does not have TPMS built in although I hope to add it. Both for the truck tires as well as for our towed vehicle should we have one. We will tow our Jeep LJ and I would hate to have a blowout on the towed vehicle and not know it and TMS will help us there.
We are heading out on a 4000 mile trip to Expo in a couple days so I ill have more real world data when we get back.

Ward

I have the same tires and can attest that of the 41" tires I've driven, Conti MPTs and Michelin XZLs, these have the best road manners. They are also speed rated to 81mph at load, as opposed to 68 for the conti. Road noise is almost absent. I own vehicles with both currently and the GSAs are quite a bit quieter.

S2DM

Adventurer
Ward, we put in a small recalibration unit in our truck that resets the speedometer. Its specific to ford, but there are quite a few options out there. Ours is programmed via a pc, you input tire size and gear ratio. GPS and car drive along confirm we are within 1mph.

Here is a link to one options product page.

http://www.hypertech-inc.com/products-speedometer-calibrator.aspx

Ford system is kinda unique (PITA:) But I'd hope one of these would get your odometer and mileage calcs back to normal? I haven't been able to do a side by side thats super accurate, but it seems like we lost about 1-1.5mpg with the larger tires.

Healeyjet

Explorer
Our first trip starts tomorrow.
We leave here tomorrow morning bound for Expo, well, with some stops along the way.
We are heading from Saskatoon to Regina then over to Kalispell, MT down to Missoula, MT then over to Salt Lake City and down to LA and possibly San Diego. Then over to Overland Expo and home. All in all a trip of over 4000 miles so should be a good break in for all of the systems as well as Annie and I.
We will update as much as we can with action photos etc. If you are along the way let us know and we will try to get together.
I do have to say, after having camped in our Jeep with the AT Habitat that prepping an RV for travel and camping is way different !!
Ward

Photomike

White Turtle Adventures & Photography
Have a safe trip. Need anything around southern Alberta and I will be out and about.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior