Antenna Questions

AlbanyTom

Adventurer
I think your observations on CB are pretty accurate. 1/4 wave is best, but is really long, and a huge PITA, so most don't do that. Typically people use shorter, loaded antennas in the 4' or so range. They don't work nearly as well, but are much more convenient. For antennas that long, a spring is a good idea to reduce the chances of body damage if you hit something. And yep, I'd put front fender or roof as the two best spots. Roof being better, but a long antenna on the roof means you might hit things. For mounts, the best (in my opinion) mounts for 2m/440 are NMO, but for CB I would switch to 3/8", and a stronger mount, again to reduce potential body damage.

I don't run CB anymore, but I've done 10m mobile and that's about the same frequency. I used a 10m hamstick on the roof with a big 3/8" mag mount. That put the top of my antenna at about 16', which is over height for a commercial vehicle in most locations, so I had to be careful when driving that in many areas.

All that said, if you just want to talk to people really close, than a little antenna on the roof might work fine. Either mag mount or permanent. Best option? I'd probably put a 3/8" mount on the roof rack, and a little tiny flexible whip on for daily driving. Then switch out to a ham stick type if you want more range. Run a short (6" or less I'd suggest) ground wire from the antenna mount to the truck body.

I wouldn't put the antenna on the bumper, I honestly believe that mounting it underneath the truck might work better than that. Spare tire carrier works OK if you have a cloth or fiberglass rear top, like some jeeps or the old broncos, but I wouldn't do it with an SUV with a full metal roof.

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
I can't say much on the ham antennae, but for CB, I run dual firestiks on fender mounts and that seems to work pretty good. Not sure on the exact ranges for that setup, but I can pick up truckers from 2 or 3 miles away on a smooth highway. I definitely recommend spring mounts as well. Otherwise, you'll snap the antennae quick in wooded terrain. So long as more than half the antenna extends above the roof, a fender or tire rack mount should be fine.

If I didn't drive through wooded terrain, I would go with a roof mount, simply because you get better range, but the physical constraints of my Bronco prevent it.
When you ground the antenna, try to connect it to a common ground on the rig, or directly to the frame if possible.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94