Journey to The Lost Coast

t-rex grrr

Adventurer
This past weekend, my buddy and I took a trip to The Lost Coast. It was a long drive to get there filled with traffic stops and twisting roads that go up and down, but it was well worth it. We only spent 2 nights and 3 days exploring, but will plan to add additional days in the future...and more beer! We prematurely ran out.

Trip Destinations

Usal Beach
I've read the horror stories about crazy locals shooting guns and driving around at night, but I think we got lucky b/c there were only three other small groups around, and everyone was quiet. We found a sweet spot that offered a circular opening in the trees to allow for some epic night gazing. I think dropping the kids off while gazing into the beautifully starlit sky was one of my favorite moments of the trip.

Sinkyone State Park
If you like to hike, this is a cool place to start. However, out of our entire trip, we experienced all oncoming traffic on this road only and ironically, it was also the narrowest road that may require someone backing up.

Shelter Cove
Cool little town. That's it =P Oh, and the road to the town is pretty harsh on your brakes.

Tolkan Campground
A nice small campsite that is nestled in the hills. Just watch out for the damn mosquitos there b/c they're relentless.

Road Conditions
Rugged, but nothing a stock SUV can't handle. There were some large mud puddles, but one could easily opt to drive around them. However, I would advise traveling on Usal Road after a rain storm b/c there are some steep sections and it would suck to break down anywhere on that trail.

1pJNWR0.png

cO6G83l.png

klU0p9w.jpg

I made it in, but had to back out b/c the truck was too tall for the exit
q3PIFhE.png

1nDY49q.png

3X3d3NI.jpg

hNd6uv8.png

O8l7JzS.png

For the surfers, I can only image how awesome this place could get with the right swell
o9FE5Eg.png

Camping buddy
i8tGGyr.png

YHNBb2v.png

NBsJnLD.png

The bridge just before the Usal Beach campground
E31yEWT.png

safoqss.png

When we arrived, we were greeted by this huge guy
yaqqnYe.png

4GkSVek.png

How one packs when they don't have a spare tire carrier or drawers =)
y5BxMfG.png

DI5JoQ6.png

One of my favorite parts about exploring rugged terrain is airing down.
jwnnkDn.png

tvy0aHt.png

JKuap9c.png

Don't forget to put out your fires!
U8AhiuL.jpg

On our way to Shelter Cove via Usal Road
s8oPSgd.png

Most of the trail throughout The Lost Coast looked like this
XCyB9Iq.png

T5rizE4.jpg

Last edited:

t-rex grrr

Adventurer
34's stuff fine with no rubbing
etIttn3.png

The trail is long and can get boring, but random mud puddles like these quickly brought back the fun
z8KpjX3.png

M46rZFw.jpg

H3p4DjD.png

wHbGO4i.png

i0Gybc8.png

gliHoPY.png

Beware of the ONE donkey. He's vicious...
0UINI5M.jpg

The trail to Sinkyone State Park
KZt6eoc.jpg

kBlPkyf.png

3NKSHl2.png

nwWXxuD.png

l4GNm1x.jpg

ykb6y44.jpg

YTN7XlE.png

QihXkn0.png

Airing back up before heading to Shelter Cove
pVLsbfR.jpg

E8G7QA4.png

PWUVgwg.jpg

hBWgq6s.png

zphklsm.png

ZvKXbO6.jpg

Onto King Road for our final night
h7lD4HG.png

edlBRCR.jpg

N3jJh6e.jpg

t-rex grrr

Adventurer
R5AI8Gn.jpg

After leaving the campsite to head home, we had to pull over b/c Mike was experiencing some nasty metal clanking. It was about 85 degrees and not the most ideal place to stop. After some tightening and tinkering, it turned out to be something in his drawers :rotflmao:
puG5SJ6.png

So while Mike was investigating the sound, I found a small trail and led to...
IAs67fN.jpg

This amazing view
RUi0Nsd.png

Partner-in-Crime
YpA7aAH.jpg

We sure did and we'll be back!
pY3qxi4.jpg

Back to reality, people, and traffic...
gMXaTiW.jpg

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Thanks for sharing. I love it up there. I ran the first 6 miles into Usal Beach during a wet June. Beyond that it was impassible except by foot per the folks we talked too. We were driving the 2001 Legacy GT Limited 5spd which had zero issues getting into Usal Beach. To give you an idea how wet it was the section of road running across the flat area just past the camp area with marked sites was all under water about 100ft of the road had about 10 inches of water running across it. We drove through to the other side North side of the beach and drove out to the sand by the cliff side and had lunch with some Thule Elk grazing no more than 100ft from us. Actually that was the weekend I proposed to my now wife ;-) but not at Usal beach. That was just a side adventure we both wanted to go check it out on our way back to 101.

I really want to get back up there and try riding the Royal Paradise MT bike Trail.

t-rex grrr

Adventurer
Thanks for sharing. I love it up there. I ran the first 6 miles into Usal Beach during a wet June. Beyond that it was impassible except by foot per the folks we talked too. We were driving the 2001 Legacy GT Limited 5spd which had zero issues getting into Usal Beach. To give you an idea how wet it was the section of road running across the flat area just past the camp area with marked sites was all under water about 100ft of the road had about 10 inches of water running across it. We drove through to the other side North side of the beach and drove out to the sand by the cliff side and had lunch with some Thule Elk grazing no more than 100ft from us. Actually that was the weekend I proposed to my now wife ;-) but not at Usal beach. That was just a side adventure we both wanted to go check it out on our way back to 101.

I really want to get back up there and try riding the Royal Paradise MT bike Trail.

Cool!

I didn't know about that mountain bike trail until we got there and looked at a map. I don't mountain bike, but the trail looks amazing and looooooong.

mkitchen

Explorer
Been There, Haven't Done That!

Been through there on bicycle, motorcycle (not a dual sport) and car and have yet to get out to the lost coast area. I am just going to have to make another trip and this time with my Tacoma or my KLR. Lot's of great things to see. Thank you for the report.
Mikey

zelatore

Explorer
Not sure how much stagecoach action Usal ever saw. It was a loging road. U S A Logging (company) - USAL
Did almost the exact same trip you did last fall, including the big elk. It's very 'entertaining' to get up in the middle of the night to do some buisness, stumble out in search of a good tree in the dark, then look up to realize you're about 20' from one of those guys. Gets the heart rate up.

t-rex grrr

Adventurer
Not sure how much stagecoach action Usal ever saw. It was a loging road. U S A Logging (company) - USAL
Did almost the exact same trip you did last fall, including the big elk. It's very 'entertaining' to get up in the middle of the night to do some buisness, stumble out in search of a good tree in the dark, then look up to realize you're about 20' from one of those guys. Gets the heart rate up.

The Death Valley donkeys are cool, but there's something more majestic about the Usal Beach elk. Definitely wouldn't want to get on the bad side of one of them that's for sure.

As for the stagecoaches, one of our guide books mentioned that the road was originally used as a gateway between Eureka and SF in the 1800's before the loggers started using it. I wish there were some pics to show this.

TomOwen

Observer
Great write up!. Nor Cal Land Rover club does this trip annually and it's great to read other peoples experiences! Thanks for sharing!!

t-rex grrr

Adventurer
Great write up!. Nor Cal Land Rover club does this trip annually and it's great to read other peoples experiences! Thanks for sharing!!

Nice! My buddy and I definitely want to head back to explore the areas North of Tolkan Campground, so maybe we join your group for a day or two during your next trip.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I did a bunch of research on that area a long time ago. I recall the stage coach and the logging were both active at the same time. Those little towns and very tight rugged inlets were chuck full of lumber people cutting old growth down to meet the building demands needed in San Francisco before and after the great fire. Actually SF burned down more than once it was after the big quake 1902 and the big fire that the SF folks decided to get a handle on their water issue and the Hetch Hetchy plan was developed.

My 1920's place in SF is built of heart wood Redwood lumber thats blood RED amazing stuff you will never EVER see legally sold anywhere today. LOL Usal Rd was pretty important to that hey day logging and wagon haul road back then. The lumber was hauled down the coast by boat and some seriously insane salty sailors. Northern coast from SF all the way up to Washington is some of the worst coast in the world to transit by boat, hundreds of ships have been lost along that coast. I've raced enough up and down the coast to tell you the only time I've been beyond scared was racing a 27foot racing sailboat in 50knot winds and 32foot swells down the coast. We did just fine but DAMN you feel small when there is a 30+foot strait vertical fall to the water from the bow of the boat when your coming off the crest of a swell that big! Surfing them at 20+knots for 30hrs strait is one of the most epic rides one could ever have in their life! Been there done that. Maybe I'll do it again after my kids are grown and out of the house ;-)

Given how damn dry our winter was I bet my Subaru could do the whole trip. Its actually advised that you start at the north end and run South vs going North. Given choice between a SUV or Jeep etc or a bike - I would go with the bike hands down. Very enjoyable ride except when its wet which case its a hate mission you will never want to do again period. The big issue is with water and rutting of the road and mud making it a major hate mission but this spring and summer its probably the nicest that road will be given we are slated to have another 1997 winter this next winter which case very possible that Usal Rd could be washed out or wiped out by a slide and be closed much of next summer.

Last edited:

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Another spot to check out is Gold Bluffs its an easy dirt road into a sandy dune area with primitive camping no trailers allowed and right on the water. A short hike from there is the Fern Grotto trail where I recall they shot one scene for the Jurassic Park Movie.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier