Home brewed rear bumpers w/ swing outs

adventr

Adventurer
Thanks guys.

That's actually spray-on bedliner that was mixed with OEM Jeep Sahara Tan basecoat to give it that color.

stioc

Expedition Leader
Here's mine. I'm looking for a strut kit for the swing out so it's easier to open/close especially on a slope, anyone have any suggestions?

E15A74EC-F7CA-4CDF-9BE9-DCCA9AE25EAF_zpsbtvxdhkp.jpg

23F3E0EE-D769-4252-B083-FFB523A99378_zpsv6ak1tmn.jpg

48380A9C-B981-4804-8844-60F3CAC11D21_zpsdgnxaegg.jpg

rayra

Expedition Leader
Strut's going to have to be very short and very strong, has to sit near the pivot so the strut itself doesn't get in your way. Maybe some form of coil spring in / on the pivot would be better, a la self-closing door hinges.

might just have to go with an arc of plate at the pivot and a locator pin so you can pin the arm open at different angles.

eta see you are in SoCal, if you're running on a lot of washboarded dirt / desert roads you'll probably want some real good gussets on your spare tire mount stanchions. Your welds might be good, but they might just work / tear out the thin walls of the tubing itself.

Last edited:

HARDTRAILZ

Certified
Used a 560 lb and a 90 lb strut from McMasterCarr. They work well and we placed them so that they are over-center when closed so if you forget to latch they keep some pressure on the arms to stay closed.

Video my buddy that built it made.

bartonmd said:
Got 'er all finished up and in the truck to go to powdercoat in the morning... Been working on it since 4 this afternoon.

Here's a video I uploaded to show the swing-outs in action:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=kwdEor2TTeA

Box Rocket

Here's mine. I'm looking for a strut kit for the swing out so it's easier to open/close especially on a slope, anyone have any suggestions?

E15A74EC-F7CA-4CDF-9BE9-DCCA9AE25EAF_zpsbtvxdhkp.jpg

23F3E0EE-D769-4252-B083-FFB523A99378_zpsv6ak1tmn.jpg

48380A9C-B981-4804-8844-60F3CAC11D21_zpsdgnxaegg.jpg
Turned out great. As for the strut, I used one from the liftgate on my Land Cruiser. You could probably find a junkyard one from anything with a liftgate as most are capable of handling more weight than you have on the swingout. Or you could probably find a replacement one at any parts store. Most liftgate struts are fairly short and meant to fit in a tight space so they work well on swingouts.

stioc

Expedition Leader
Strut's going to have to be very short and very strong, has to sit near the pivot so the strut itself doesn't get in your way. Maybe some form of coil spring in / on the pivot would be better, a la self-closing door hinges.

might just have to go with an arc of plate at the pivot and a locator pin so you can pin the arm open at different angles.

eta see you are in SoCal, if you're running on a lot of washboarded dirt / desert roads you'll probably want some real good gussets on your spare tire mount stanchions. Your welds might be good, but they might just work / tear out the thin walls of the tubing itself.

Thanks. Good tip on the gussets, I did gusset it around the tire mount, hopefully it's enough. I do want to add some additional gussets/support at the bottom of the tire mount upright.

Used a 560 lb and a 90 lb strut from McMasterCarr. They work well and we placed them so that they are over-center when closed so if you forget to latch they keep some pressure on the arms to stay closed.

Video my buddy that built it made.

Cool, any links to the McMasterCarr part# or item?

Turned out great. As for the strut, I used one from the liftgate on my Land Cruiser. You could probably find a junkyard one from anything with a liftgate as most are capable of handling more weight than you have on the swingout. Or you could probably find a replacement one at any parts store. Most liftgate struts are fairly short and meant to fit in a tight space so they work well on swingouts.

Thanks for answering my noob questions Adam, I'm happy with the results. I was thinking about the lift gate struts too, I may even have the strut sitting around but didn't quite know where to source the hardware i.e. the ball studs etc.

rayra

Expedition Leader
If McMaster doesn't have it, try northerntool or Tractor Supply.

and yes, gusset down at the bottom of the spare tire stanchions at the swingarm. That'll be the spot with the most stress / front-rear motion stress. Don't worry about the side to side forces as much. The A-frame design you used supports in that direction fine. The 'moment arm' in the front-rear axis is the bigger problem for so much weight on a tall vertical support. The flexing will put a lot of stress at the root of it. A triangle plate down low on the side facing the tailgate, and well overlapping the swingarm and stanchion, should do well. And on the outside face as well. Trap the stanchion in there.

2scars

Adventurer
Here is mine. A little inspiration from Boxrocket and my brother built the original base bumper for his '00 TRD that got crushed.

I think I would like to eventually add another side to it with a vertical Hi-lift mount and an ammo can for recovery items.

Brandon

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior