Home brewed rear bumpers w/ swing outs

MTWheeler

Observer
Looking for some inspiration on some plan for a rear bumper/swing out for my pickup. Post your pictures of your garage built bumpers! Thanks guys!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LR Max

Local Oaf
Back in college a bunch of my friends built them. The "bumper" was a piece of 2"x4" box steel and then they bought the hinges, trailer hitch, and catch. Then used 2x2 for the tire carrier frame.

Always looked good and of course worked great.

HARDTRAILZ

Certified

Dual swing outs to clear stuff like trailers or in parking lots when someone tucks in the spot behind. Arms on heims for adjust-ability. 3x3 tube spanning frame-rails for hitch to mount through. Struts to help with open and set-up so they are over center and help hold closed if you forget to latch.

TommyG

Adventurer
I am tinkering with the idea too. I have it roughed out but have not gotten any further yet. It is sort of a copy of the Aluminess bumper, two short swing outs instead of one big one. The spare is a 35x12.50.

Rearpic1.jpg

Bedpic3.jpg

Bedpic4.jpg

jlocster

Explorer
Here's my dual swing out tire carrier. It's a rudimentary design but stout. Read up on the advantages of double shear hinges over single shear hinges before you plan your design.

xWyrjrZHWm1Pb3Gn_ow188i6cHRhSQs5caTvaxIqUIM=w946-h532-no

It made it from Los Angeles to Prudoe Bay and back.

PEN_9NfY40Z-lTzARh4EdbG7mzNoGe2MzBROagXf63o=w794-h1058-no

More info on the bumper build here --> link

Good luck!

Last edited:

zelatore

Explorer
Just in case you were wondering, there's a reason there aren't many aftermarket bumper options for the LR3/4 Land Rovers. This thing was a PITA to build, but it's been going strong for a year now with nothing but a lot of scuffs from being drug over rocks.

I've posted build pics here before but would have to do some searching to find them. Here's a gallery of the completed bumper-
http://s816.photobucket.com/user/ze...Rover LR3/completed rear bumper?sort=3&page=1

daddyusmaximus

Explorer

Dual swing outs to clear stuff like trailers or in parking lots when someone tucks in the spot behind. Arms on heims for adjust-ability. 3x3 tube spanning frame-rails for hitch to mount through. Struts to help with open and set-up so they are over center and help hold closed if you forget to latch.

Never seen a close up detail shot of your bumper before. Very nice! Looks strong as hell. Where do I get one made? Was that done here in Indiana?

rayra

Expedition Leader
Don't have a picture of it handy, but a nice detail on a homebrew setup I saw here had a trailer axle bearing cap with lubrication fitting on the pivot of the swingout. Thought it was a great idea.

$%28KGrHqZHJF!E88evqLyQBP%28rz4LjjQ~~60_35.JPG

theBostonianX

Adventurer
Ditto, get quality builders parts.

I got my weld through recovery tabs, latch, swing arm greasable spindle, 2" tow reciever, and other parts from comp4x4.com.

It saves a ton of time, isnt very expensive and is like a big jig saw puzzle.

I used 3/16" steel on the bumper face. And 1/4" on the frame mounts and gussets
And 5/16" on the swing arm. Which seemed industry standard for my vehicle when compared to other aftermarket manufacturers.

Also gusset and reinforce everything. Be prepared for flex during heavy trails and long towing situations.

I added a secondary locking pin to the swing arm to reduce flex and create a redundant system.

65863286ac0801ec4ed01e773e31b4bc.jpg

4x4junkie

Explorer
Bumper is made from 2x5" .120 box tubing, the swingout is various pieces of 1x1", 1x2", and 2x2" tubing (also .120 wall). Gussets are used in key places such as at the frame brackets (2" x 3/16" angle), and around the hinge area. Weight is probably somewhere around 70lbs, guessing (without the tire or jack of course), so only a little heavier than the stock bumper w/o carrier that it replaced.

rear1.jpg

rear2.jpg

TommyG

Adventurer

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online