A Look Back at 2016

Overland Alaska: Atlin, BC – Glaciers, Lakes, and Mining Roads

Landcruising Adventure: A Glance into the Lives of Paraguay’s Mennonites

36 Hours of Adventure: Hills and Hydrolock

Overland Alaska: Haines and the Haines Highway

Page 63 of 63 FirstFirst ... 1353616263

Thread: Expedition Overland - 2015 Season

Quote Originally Posted by Dalko43 View Post
    I don't know why this is a surprise to anyone here. I don't know how you expect them to do these kinds of adventures in foreign countries and film them without some sort of sponsorship. As for parts of it looking choreographed, well to be honest I didn't notice too much of that. But they do have an obligation to their viewers and their sponsors to make interesting content that is captured on camera. If they aren't getting good shots of their rigs in action, then what exactly is the point of the whole show?

To be fair, they've got to condense a journey that was what, weeks-long, into several 45 minute video clips. They're not going to capture every nuanced detail about every country they visit. And there was a lot about border crossings in their CA series. But then again, every time I read some after action on this forum from an overlander who is travelling through CA and SA, the border crossings seem to receive a lot of attention due to the complexity and logistics that are sometimes involved. As someone who is looking to travel down to SA at some point, I'm glad that the XO crew spend time covering those crossings.

I do get what you're saying on some level. The first season in North America really drew me in with is novelty and great story and camera shots. The CA season wasn't as entertaining, but still well-made. The return to Mackenzie was good, I just wished there had been more content. I hope that the next season they produce captures my attention the way the first one did. But I'm in no position to judge their abilities and decision-making and, with the exception of a select few on here who have planned and conducted large-scale expeditions in foreign countries, neither is anyone else.
    Cheers, sir! It's not about judging, it's about giving feedback as a viewer to a series that is open to the public and obviously intended to draw an audience. You touched on that in your first paragraph.

If you travel through Guate--and I'm still here--give me a buzz. Happy to hit some trails and off-the-beaten tourist spots with ya. Take care!

As probably a target demographic for the what I think to be a very awesome and informative series, I find Expedition Overland to be very cool! Lots of folks that I can esily relate to - they are personable, honest, seem to be hardworking and work together as a team. There have been a few instances where I observed the team really rally and solve a very serious problem. No, I have not been to the jungles of Central America and no, I have not been on an expedition of that length or intensity. Would I like to? HELL YES!! It's why I watch the show and guess what? It's why so many watch this and TV shows and movies -- we would like to be the people on the screen -- we find a vicarious thrill in what they are doing and realize we are not likely to do it.

Oh, and shiny rigs, lots of gear and gadgets and exotic places.....count me in!! High production value, good editing and cohesive and well told stories. Am I a cheerleader? Yes - and I readily admit it.

Happy wheeling!

cruiseroutfit is offline Sponsoring Vendor Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
    Quote Originally Posted by NetDep View Post
    As probably a target demographic for the what I think to be a very awesome and informative series, I find Expedition Overland to be very cool! Lots of folks that I can esily relate to - they are personable, honest, seem to be hardworking and work together as a team. There have been a few instances where I observed the team really rally and solve a very serious problem. No, I have not been to the jungles of Central America and no, I have not been on an expedition of that length or intensity. Would I like to? HELL YES!! It's why I watch the show and guess what? It's why so many watch this and TV shows and movies -- we would like to be the people on the screen -- we find a vicarious thrill in what they are doing and realize we are not likely to do it.

Oh, and shiny rigs, lots of gear and gadgets and exotic places.....count me in!! High production value, good editing and cohesive and well told stories. Am I a cheerleader? Yes - and I readily admit it.

Happy wheeling!

Thanks for watching!
    Kurt Williams
    Cruiser Outfitters
    Your original outfitter for OME - ARB - AA - Safari - Helton - Engel - Since 1992
    Join us on Facebook
    ExpeditionUtah - A lifelong project of exploring Utah
    kurt@cruiseroutfitters.com

Hltoppr is offline Overland Training Alumni
    Expedition Portal Moderator
    El Gringo Spectacular!
    I hope that one thing viewers take from the entire Expedition Overland series...from Alaska to Central America and the MacKenzie, it that they're inspired to go do this sort of thing. Yes, Clay and the crew busted their butts to get some amazing sponsors to support the grand adventure, but in reality the vast majority of these trips could be done in a stock...whatever you've got.

The thing I've found about "sponsors" is that it does add planning...not "staged" events, but planning for those shots that the sponsors can use; there's that expectation with each item given. Can't fault the companies for expecting a return on the investment, even if it's just photo shoot type of stuff. This happens in every sponsored event or trip, even if you're just an "Instagram Product Ambassador." It's quite normal to have a very extensive list of exact photos or video you'll expect to get for each sponsor.

Yes...this can take away some spontaneity, but that is the price to play at that level sometimes. In my experience, even the expectation of writing an article or post about the trip can do that, as I'm always taking notes and writing as I go.

What I can say for this group is that they're all genuinely great folks to travel with and truly passionate about these experiences. There's a absolute ton of hard work that goes into each and every episode that's produced, and I think they're doing an amazing job of bringing some really great drives to their viewers.

-H-
    Andrew

Page 63 of 63 FirstFirst ... 1353616263