Gnarvan AWD Express build.

North

Observer
Any extra info on how you attached your rear pillar trim panels? I'm trying to hide as many fasteners as possible and it looks like you've achieved that on those pieces.

kntr

Observer
As far as I know there is no complete body lift kit available. I bought the spacers individually off ebay and then ordered 2" longer bolts (1" in your case) from McMaster. You will have to work out the fan to shroud clearance. I lowered the bottom half of the shroud with 1x2 rectangular aluminum tube (1x1 in your case) and longer bolts. It did require a little minor shroud trimming around the frame.

Do you have a link? How many 1" pucks do I need? What size bolt hole do I need?

cmarcus

Replacing the foam on the used bench seat/bed to get ready for new upholstery. I went with 70 density 3" foam on the seat and 70 density 4" foam over the back platform boards. I built up the edges wrapping the frame with 1/2" 40 density (green in photos).
04feefdafacfe9dd5400a7dac27eef6a.jpg

b68ad5991d2197ab00631f0e5c5b79ec.jpg

While the seats and cushions were at the upholstery shop I worked on the rear door panels and speaker install.
Building the box for the cubby hole and wrapping it with carpet.
65548ded5172c99e2ac1defeca33e67f.jpg

The panels are 1/4" Baltic birch wrapped in vinyl. the door curves where I wanted to mount the speakers so I made tapered trim rings wrapped in gray carpet.

68159447dfbf72025e63e51d66a50710.jpg

6cff47cb1c5b2a54db2068da77ad9593.jpg

The upholstery shop knocked the seat and cushions out in two days and I just picked them up this afternoon. I bought OEM neutral wicker to match the front seats. I googled and printed out some pictures of factory express bench seats so they could make the seat look factory. I wanted them more flat with no bolsters so it would be flatter in bed mode.
I am pretty happy with the outcome.
31b781d0fd4a8ab9149d9caa0b402345.jpg

a50d3a33657c2d369cd2bdd891e5a3af.jpg

2f5eb7c7ba5fd2cd8ba24a4cdc0d6261.jpg

de0cc93aee0523a3da530f55d78277de.jpg

46e31e226909b021526124e299a1ae77.jpg

The rolls you see under the seat are the black out window screens I made by sandwiching Reflectix with black foam lined headliner on one side and automotive carpet on the other. All three layers were glued together with contact cement and then I sewed 1" nylon webbing all around the edges. I will post some more pictures when I can, it's been raining and snowing here lately.
The wood pieces next to them are the start of the rear corner trim pieces.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Love your van! Planning to possibly purchase an AWD van next year, and have been lurking here to see some builds. So far, I think you have made the most of the space and also allow for passengers. Curious - what sort of seat did you use for your fold down bed, and would lit also be safe enough for seatbelts? How large is the bed once folded down?

TeleSteve

Adventurer
Love your van! Planning to possibly purchase an AWD van next year, and have been lurking here to see some builds. So far, I think you have made the most of the space and also allow for passengers. Curious - what sort of seat did you use for your fold down bed, and would lit also be safe enough for seatbelts? How large is the bed once folded down?
Not sure who the seat manufacture was it was a take out from a van Sportmobile Fresno was redoing. It was setup to run seat belts. My only complaint with the seat is that the frame and sliders consume a lot of the under seat space limiting some storage.

kntr

Observer
I used 3" diamater. It takes 12. 14mm bolts so at least 9/16" holes, 5/8" woukd work.

What length 5/8" bolts will I need?
Are all 12 bolts the same length?

I wanna have all the parts before we tear into this. I have twelve 1"x3" pucks with 5/8" holes.

cptjak

Kntr are the 1x3 blocks going to give you any lift since the original body mounts are about 3/4 inch thick or are the new blocks 1 3/4 x 3

kntr

Observer
Kntr are the 1x3 blocks going to give you any lift since the original body mounts are about 3/4 inch thick or are the new blocks 1 3/4 x 3

Oh crap, I dint think about that. I just got 1" body pucks.

So if I want to lift the van 1" I need 1 3/4" blocks? Maybe TELESTEVE can clarify.

Last edited:

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Oh crap, I dint think about that. I just got 1" body pucks.

So if I want to lift the van 1" I need 1 3/4" blocks?

I'm coming to this late, but generally you want to use the lift pucks in combination with the original body mount. Here's a shot of my 2" puck on my Astro body lift:

lift_puck.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior