Roaming Rally 2015 - Overland Edition

deadly99

Explorer
Tagged, very interested

The Start is only a 6 hour drive from Cambridge, MA (presume that's where you are based on your profile). Come on up and discover some of Canada's backcountry :wavey:

Two more vehicles to add to the growing list...

more.jpg

REDrum

Aventurero de la Selva
The Start is only a 6 hour drive from Cambridge, MA (presume that's where you are based on your profile)

Yes, a portion of the year I'm at latitude 10 and a portion of the year I'm at latitude 41, in sept will be the later.

Been hoping the event open up to 4 wheel devices for a while now, so this is great news and would love too join in. Yes I know the area a tad, used to run BRS stage rally just south of there. I'm working on a team and my schedule, working quickly...

This is the truck I would run (grey FZJ80):

IMG_0362.jpg

While perhaps a bit overkill in stance, its most important feature is Engle fridge to keep all the post drive beer cold ;)

deadly99

Explorer
An email was just sent to everyone who signed up. Looking forwarding to meeting everyone on Friday the 25th

Cheers
Ted

Last edited:

deadly99

Explorer
The route has been finalized, gps files distributed along with a detailed route description and relevant information.

Look forward to meeting everyone next Friday evening :victory:

2.jpg

3.jpg

IMG_20150622_164633.jpg

IMG_20150622_154835.jpg

REDrum

Aventurero de la Selva
Very sad to say, but not going to make this one... :(

Got some bad news this AM, both of our trucks, capable of making the the trip from Boston, are delayed in the shop. As much as I love exploring in our Series 2A, it tops out at 40MPH, so I'd have to leave today to make to across the river into Johnstown by Friday AM...

People who do make it please post up photos and stories. Have a great trip!

Cheers,
Niall

deadly99

Explorer
Very sad to say, but not going to make this one... :(

Got some bad news this AM, both of our trucks, capable of making the the trip from Boston, are delayed in the shop. As much as I love exploring in our Series 2A, it tops out at 40MPH, so I'd have to leave today to make to across the river into Johnstown by Friday AM...

People who do make it please post up photos and stories. Have a great trip!

Cheers,
Niall

Hopefully next year then. Will post some photos next week.

deadly99

Explorer
Here's my take on the weekend.

We ended up with 7 trucks for the rally. We were expecting more but it turned out this was a nice number. We (GravelTravel.ca ) have been hosting the Roaming Rally each year for the past five years. It has always been done for the ADV bike crowd. This was our first try and doing something similar for the overland truck crowd. It was done as a bit of an experiment to learn what works, what people want, etc. In the end we have a pretty decent idea of what changes should be done to better suit the feedback we received and what we observed. All in all folks had a great weekend, the route seemed good, the weather was perfect, etc.

We spent 12 hours in the trucks on the Saturday and covered approximately 270 km's. Sunday 2 trucks headed south to the Overland Expo East, 2 headed north following the route as they live up that way and 3 of us headed south to finish a part of the day one route we didn't finish due to time.

Sitting around and checking out the various modifications folks have done...well I could spent hours doing this. Some of the folks are very well traveled, one lives out of his vehicle and some of us are just weekend warriors. People from different backgrounds but all with a common interest...makes for good times.

A whole bunch of photos in no particular order. Hope everyone enjoyed themselves. We intend to this again next season and look forward to seeing you again and hopefully a bunch of new folks as well.

2.JPG

3.JPG

8.JPG

9.JPG

DSCN5779.JPG

DSCN5792.JPG

DSCN5797.JPG

DSCN5799.JPG

DSCN5802.JPG

DSCN5816.JPG

DSCN5817.JPG

DSCN5895.JPG