Roaming Rally 2015 - Overland Edition

deadly99

Explorer
Rr2015logoverticalsmall.png

Hi Folks, I hope this isn't considered spam...

More information can be found here

LINK

I run a small website called www.GravelTravel.ca that provides free gps files for overland routes. For the past 5 years we host a rally called the Roaming Rally. The concept is simple, folks sign up and are provided a suggested route. There is a registration process on the first night where a waiver is signed, decals and some swag is given out, there is a drivers meeting then folks are on their won for the remainder of the event.

There is no one leading the ride, no sweep, no sign out or sign in each day. Participants rely on their team mates and themselves. This is what differentiates the Roaming Rally from club events or other organized events, it is a true adventure where being self reliant is critical, peoper preparation is vital, etc.

To date we have only done this for motorcycles. Given that driving off road and exploring the back country is my other passion in life we have decided to attempt to do a trial run this fall of trucks only. This is being done to get a feel for the distance a truck can travel in a day, whether the people are compatible with the bike crowd, etc. If all goes well, and I suspect it will, 2016 will see the Roaming Rally have trucks and bikes attending.

Navigation is done via provided GPX files (Tracks and Waypoints)

The rally roams, hence the name. This means that each night is spent in a different location. For this first "Overland" edition the rally will be a 2 day event taking place in late September (Normally the rally is 3+ days in length). The location for the Overland Edition will be in south eastern Ontario, Canada.

3.jpg

Looking forward to meeting everyone in the fall

1.jpg

Last edited:

Jeremy P.

Adventurer
This looks like a lot of fun and I will have to see if I can make it. What towns will it be near so I can figure out how far it would be to get there?

deadly99

Explorer
The route starts in Kemptville, Ontario and ends somewhere near Bancroft, Ontario

By no means is it a hardcore route, more of a back country gravel roads and some easy trails type of a day.

Hope you can make it, should be a fun weekend

smurf40

Observer
For those who have not checked out this site, do it! The Trans Canada Adventure Trail is crazy! and its in our backyard. It is on my "to do" list and have begun completing legs of it in my truck.

Fundy Rider

Good luck and great to see your Adventurous spirit over on this forum.

A year or two and lots of money away from completing my truck. Hope this event will be around like your Roaming Rally.

Your a great contributor to the Adventure World!

deadly99

Explorer
Thanks for all the interest. Been hard at "work" putting the route together.

We pre rode the first gps track for the rally. Let me just say that Adam is one heck of a fast driver

It took us about 1.5 hours. My guess is it would normally take me 2 hours and very slow moving vehicles taking photos, etc will take 3 hours.

RR2015OE_Track1A.jpg

After much reflection on how long and what kind of terrain to make the route I have come to the conclusion that this track file is just about perfect. Easy trails, no need for spotters, no major obstacles just fun driving out in some remote areas. I had originally intended to add a few trails later in the day that would have obstacles that require spotting and four wheel low. I have decided to remove these sections of trails and keep the route much more "overlandish" than offroad 4x4 stuff. I have gotten some feedback from a few folks and the general consensus seems to like this concept much better. There will be some trails where the trail is a bit narrow, so some scratching of the gel coat will likely happen if you aren't careful.

I hope this change in the terrain doesn't disappoint some and hope it makes others come out to the rally knowing they wont be getting their trucks stuck in the mud of scraped up on some rocks.

A few photos from our pre drive last week.

IMG_20150625_190327.jpg

IMG_20150625_191142.jpg

IMG_20150625_191211.jpg

IMG_20150625_191244.jpg

IMG_20150625_192701.jpg

IMG_20150625_193125.jpg

We ended up at a local pub for some grub and sitting around chatting about trucks, gear, etc.

IMG_20150625_202027.jpg

I'm quite stoked as there seems to be enough interest to make this happen. I'm looking forward to sitting around a campfire, meeting some like minded folks and driving some scenic and fun trails and roads.

In two weeks the next section of the route will be pre driven. This part of Canada has an abundance of back country trails and roads to choose from. This combined with our years of exploration are enabling us to put together a rather unique route designed especially for the overland crowd.

Cheers and hope to see you in September

carbon60

Explorer
Hey, that's my truck! :)

I ran the track, which was a great time. Very nice route with a lot of variety.

I'm sure anyone in most any vehicle with some clearance will enjoy it.

A.

deadly99

Explorer
The second track of day one has been ridden. 1-+ of trails and 1-+ hour of roads (gravel and paved). Starts in the town of Merrickville and ends near White Lake.

The trails are straight forward, one section is a bit overgrown so I intend to get out there with some trimmers and cut down the "scratch branches" as best I can.

Travel time is 2-+ hours.

IMG_20150629_122227.jpg

IMG_20150629_122942.jpg

IMG_20150629_123138.jpg

IMG_20150629_123831.jpg

Day1 track 3 has been created and its a real gem as the route enters into the "Lanark Highlands". Lots of twisty trails and roads with lots of elevation changes.

Day 1 track 4 has also been created which pushes the route even further north into the Ottawa Valley terminating just south of Algonquin Park.

In two weeks these tracks will get driven and altered as the terrain dictates.

The route is coming along quite nicely, the years of exploring the area are paying off in terms of creating a very unique route that brings you deep into the back country on remote trails that would be difficult to discover on your own.

deadly99

Explorer
The first day of the route is now complete and has been pre driven. It will take folks approximately 7-9 hours to drive. Add in a trail side lunch somewhere and its a full day. A lot of the route consists of cruising gravel roads with some fun, easy trails here and there. The route is suitable for trucks with 4x4 (may not be required but if its wet it could get slick), AT tires and decent ground clearance. We haven't put together a an "off road" route, rather a back country "overland" route.

IMG_20150717_115000.jpg

A few washouts here and there...

IMG_20150717_124843.jpg

A few nice lakes along the route that warrant a stop

IMG_20150717_120424.jpg

IMG_20150717_114955.jpg

IMG_20150717_115301.jpg

IMG_20150717_124921.jpg

IMG_20150717_131725.jpg

The route begins at the Canada/USA border, just north of Ogdensburg, NY.

So far we have a couple of Landcruisers, a Fourrunner, a Tacoma, a Canyon, a JKU and a JK signed up. 6-9 trucks so far and a bunch of folks who seem interested but haven't committed yet. Depending on the group size we may just travel all together, or split up into two or three groups.

Cya in September

Judoka

Learning To Live
Fun

That just looks like some serious fun! Back when I was a kid the St. Lawrence River had some decent fishing near Ogdensburg. It has been 25 years since I have been in that country. We sure did not have events like this back then. Fishing, Travel, Good Beer and Great People... Sounds like a fantastic time in store for those lucky enough to make this one!:bike_rider:

deadly99

Explorer
A wide variety of vehicles signed up so far....

Like this vw van with front and rear lockers, 13 inches of ground clearance and 32 inch tires

IMG_20150724_095701.jpg

This Jeep as well as another 4 door jku

jeep.jpg

A bunch of Toyota's (Tacoma, 4Runner, Landcruiser)

unnamed.jpg

IMG_20150625_202027.jpg

Things are starting to take shape, should be fun exploring the back country with a bunch of like minded folks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles