LR4 Roof Rack Flooring and EO2 Case mount project.

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
To remove my EO2 mounts, I would have to take up the flooring (held on with zip ties) and undo 4 bolts for each mount.
Ah, ok, thanks.
Good idea for a long trips where I'm using the same cases in the same locations day after day. I may get one and see what I can rig up to easily remove it without having to undo the flooring. It's been on for about 10 years and I'm not really interested in having to remove it.

iowalr4

Adventurer
Great thread, trying to figure everything out now that we have a 6 mo old and large dog. Have you noticed any issues with the shark fin antenna and satellite radio since installing flooring?

I use sat radio all the time. Works just fine, even with the cases mounted.

ralston

I need to take some shots with the cases on the rack in its final form.. but here is roughly what they look like. This is before the mounts, so they are sitting 3/4" lower here.

osHsieJAdDI2zbIVWaKbmaD9SqzI_39wQrhnwWi77FOd=w1201-h892-no

z2RsLVkfJTk3ULz1qQ1JYrNU2ia1r106-gGRYBZzdD4p=w1201-h892-no

I know that the Expedition Portal LR4 had EO2 on it at one point, but I never saw it discussed or featured much. I am curious what they thought of it.

With all due respect, it looks like about 10 or so zip ties are all that hold your polymax to the rack. Am I mistaken?

Ray_G

Explorer
Depending on the strength of the zip ties (& how often they are changed for uv degradation) I wouldn't stress on that too much. After all zip ties have held some pretty dynamic weights well enough for 'govt' work....like this shot of the antenna mount on my 1st HMMWV in Ramadi (2nd tour to OIF)...
b33be5c3b91400d81ae9b503cea035eb.jpg

iowalr4

Adventurer
About 15 very stout heavy duty ties, but they only support the polymax. They have nothing to do with the EO2 mounts which attach directly to the rack. No load is put on the polymax.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Jason911

Adventurer
Depending on the strength of the zip ties (& how often they are changed for uv degradation) I wouldn't stress on that too much. After all zip ties have held some pretty dynamic weights well enough for 'govt' work....like this shot of the antenna mount on my 1st HMMWV in Ramadi (2nd tour to OIF)...
b33be5c3b91400d81ae9b503cea035eb.jpg

As the Brits would say - that's one hell of a good botch job. Was your HMMWV shot up or just beat to ****? Looks pretty rough, and a M1151A1 model?

Ray_G

Explorer
As the Brits would say - that's one hell of a good botch job. Was your HMMWV shot up or just beat to ****? Looks pretty rough, and a M1151A1 model?

Little bit of both; but the bulk of the damage was from an IED strike on the left rear of the truck (I wasn't in it at the time, we inherited her like that from 3/7). At the time the proliferation of factory UAH's, at least to line USMC units, was still trying to catch up with demand so we kept her in the fight for awhile. I always figured it was a good luck charm...useful since she was always vic1 in movements.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A.J.M

Explorer
Actaully, I think we would class that as a superb temporary repair.

And by temporary repair I mean the following saying "there's nothing more permanent than a temporary repair"

If those cable ties were still there 6+ months later. The saying is proven correct once again.

Over to Ray for the answer.

Ray_G

Explorer
Truck didn't live six more months...but the zip ties were still there when she went!

For the OP, how did you mount the brackets to the roof?

iowalr4

Adventurer
This doesn't actually show the final hardware I used, I was just looking for alignment and where things would go here. I wanted them long enough so I could use big washers to support the underside of the plastic mounts, and lock nuts, but not long enough that they were too close to the glass. A full sized adult, 200+ lbs can stand and bounce on the rack and it deflects about 1/4". (dynamic test load was my father). I didn't want a bolt to touch the glass under big dynamic loads.

IMG_20150509_152838_zpscccgs47v.jpg

IMG_20150604_200006_zpsijsromy5.jpg

I think this was the final fitting. We then cut out the flooring to fit around the mounts.
IMG_20150604_193854_zpsikvhkibc.jpg

iowalr4

Adventurer
here is a better shot of the yakima (i think) mounts. again, not the final bolts/nuts that i used and no washers shown.

IMG_20150509_151732_zps5dkttah9.jpg

ColoDisco

Explorer
Not to take away from the OP. I secured my 50l indel b with discovery 2 rear cargo tie downs (x4) bolted into the center seat with the bolts from the seat and Tenbo tusk straps. Been there for over a year with no movement. You can still buy the tie downs from Land Rover.

Ray_G

Explorer
How did you secure the fridge in the middle seat slot?

Brad's explanation works great, I did much the same (it is somewhere in my build thread) using bolt plates and cut down straps to keep things in place. Off the shelf from scratch the Dii tie downs + the ARB fridge restraint kit bolted into the middle seat bolts and you are done with a solid and good looking setup.
r
Ray

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94