What about BOB?

RobRed

Explorer
@rayra

I pulled together the items and bag i have to deal with a few different contingencies. Stranded off road somewhere. Earthquake is another. General travel etc.

To your point - much of this I had "laying around" The major new items were the bags to carry it all - probably $400 worth. The items you have laying around all have a cost to them - $2 here, $4 there starts to add up. It did for me. ON other fronts some of the gear I happen to own is more expensive then what you have. Big deal. I can live with whatever the cost is. My point in mentioning it was that it can ramp up pretty quickly no matter what your setup is.

What do you think I should ditch out of the list?

jscusmcvet

Explorer
I refer to mine as a "get home bag". Primarily, it has anything I feel like i would need if I was on foot for the 17 miles from home to work, through rural NC. I do not try and define the disaster. I change some contents for seasons.

I recently attended a weekend wilderness survival school for veterans and first responders. One of the more useful concepts was the rule of 3's...
3 minutes without air
3 hours without shelter in extreme weather conditions
3 days without water
3 weeks without food

Helps prioritize what you need.

gmwelder86

Adventurer
Great idea on the post rob, I do understand you and your gadgets after the moab trip it makes a lot of sense. Both the jk and my girlfriends truck have bags of sorts. More of a get home or for her find a place to stay till I can get there. Both have water and various ways to purify it. Well stocked but what I consider basic first aid kits, bandages, common meds, butterfly bandages, and such. Fixed blade knives. Decent large flashlight and a few 5 buck LEDs that work fairly well. A few days food for the dog and a bowl for her. In the jeep I also have a more extensive first aid kit, shovel,axes, jumper cables, case of water, ft60 radio as well as a 2m rig in the jeep,5 gallons of fuel and a hi lift. If a quake does hit my only worry is to get myself and her home where we are better situated. Some people get by with more others with less. I know my bag weighs roughly 40 pounds. Not lite by any means but that's fully loaded with 4 liters of water.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
This is sort of interesting. Some friends and I were having conversations a while ago about ease of travel in the truck versus jeep. Truck is one cavernous space and lends itself to having one box or bag, while the jeep is tons of little nooks and crannies, and seems like more of a travel system.

While I've thought about the BOB concept before, I've sort of realized that the Jeep is a BOB.

For additional thought, I would throw down these ideas:

1) I know 2 people who've had their BOBs stolen. 1 smash and grab and 1 entire Cherokee stolen. It sort of makes you think about carrying all those personal documents.
2) From my brief time in Search and Rescue, I've come to a firm belief that you are always easier to find if you STAY WITH THE CAR. I would much rather have a vehicle set up to live in or near for a few days than have a plan to walk away from it. This multiplies as I usually have little kids with me, and a forces march into the unknown is unlikely to end well.

Just my random musings on the issue.

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
I thought it was going to be about Bob.
Bobdobbs.png

I don't hear much about him anymore.

RobRed

Explorer
NatersXJ6

Good points. I'm also an advocate of staying with the vehicle and would do so unless dire circumstances required evac. I've given myself and my passenger all the advantages to avoid an evac with supplies and extensive comms options. There may come a time and that's the point of the BOB.

Theft is a concern and I take some precautions as I can to deter smash and grab...frankly there is so much gear in the vehicle where would a meth head start his shopping spree? :) The documents are a good point. I carry mine on 2 CF cards in a small crush proof/water proof case. The data on these cards is encrypted with a strong cipher.

OCD

The bag was $169 actually. Sorry I left my Illuminati cards at home.

General Thread

I asked rayra above to suggest items to leave out of the bag as the implication was it's overdone - No response directly. I published the contents list so I'm asking the general thread to chime in on it. Should I leave something out? Add something?

In general I'm kind of shocked that Expo members would focus on the cost of the bag as stated. I certainly was surprised at how it added up but grabbing this or that from the house to build this was not magically free. Maybe someones change of clothes came from goodwill for 3 bucks. I calculated the value based on a street retail price for the gear thats in it. Be it 6 or 8 things I bought for it or what came out of the house that was previously purchased.

If its a badge of honor to have the least expensive go bag nobody told me. If you have a costco flash light because that's your budget so be it - I happen to pack a couple of expensive bad A$S surefires.

Do an inventory/value of your gear and see how quickly it adds up. Perhaps you'll be surprised.

Last edited:

rayra

Expedition Leader
RobRed, nothing in particular, just a lot of high-end / more expensive versions of things. Quality does matter in some things. Many things not so much.

On the 'stay with the vehicle' theme, I've been working up a multi-configuration vehicle awning setup in the awnings subforum. Almost all my excursions are in the deserts. One idea that came to mind was shading the vehicle itself, and from that, the idea to make the fabric panel two-sided. One side my awning color choice, the other 'safety orange', essentially a huge marker panel that can make the vehicle more visible from above or afar.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...eas-for-a-lightweight-compact-flexible-design

awning34_zpse0320znc.jpg
awning35_zpsijl1yhz4.jpg

awning37_zpsjhftbkck.jpg
awning36_zpsj1apgrpq.jpg

it would be a simple thing to make a lightweight highly compressible shelter tarp using 1.1oz silnylon. Water resistant, wind proof, make it about 8'x8' so it can be folded in half to be both ground tarp and lean-to, close to teh wind and your fire on the open side. It would weigh all of about 8oz and roll up smaller than a soda can. That and several lengths of fine cord or stripped paracord could be used any manner of ways.

Last edited:

RobRed

Explorer
@rayra

I'm not trying to fight with you but I am trying to understand your reaction when you said "...Yours is a list to cross crap OFF of. " I wrote that blog post and posted in the two forums i frequent most to get some constructive feedback and to possibly inspire others who hadn't considered such bag. If it was a reaction to the overall cost that's fine but you more than imply that gear list wasn't right.

On to other points - your Safety Orange tarp idea is very good. Shelter and signaling all in one.

@peneumbra

Those plutonium cores might come in handy. Don't doubt yourself :)

rayra

Expedition Leader
I'm sorry, not wanting to argue about it with you either. Expensive gear choices. Glad you can afford it. Glad it works for you. It's an unattainable level / standard for many, thus I don't think it's a useful guideline. A more useful discussion would be about categories and types of gear. 'buy once, cry once' and 'what's your life worth' are luxurious absolutes. Life is about all manner of competing demands, priorities / goals and compromises. A BOB is way down the list, down far enough that $4000 for it is just strikes me as ludicrous. That sort of money is probably better spent elsewhere. Like moving somewhere where such an expensive BOB is unneeded. A BOB is a transitory thing, its materials to get by with while relocating / moving to a location of relative safety. If that's expected to take more than a few days and a few hundred dollars, then the whole strategic situation / balance of the equation ought to be completely reassessed.

To each their own. I've said my piece, we aren't going to change each others' positions, so no point in going back and forth about it.

WeLikeCamping

Explorer
I live in the desert. a "BOB" seems silly to me too - carrying around 40 pounds of gear will prolly kill you before anything else does. The example was given - what if your vehicle breaks down in the wilderness and you have to hike out? I've grown up carrying survival gear in my vehicle at all times, including a gallon of water and a handheld CB radio, as well as a first aid kit and a water-filtration system. That's just for daily driving around the city. If I head to the outback, I have a whole 'nuther set of gear. Survival methods are somewhat specific to regional conditions, for example, I'd pack different gear for Alaska than I would for Arizona, but ultimately, If my vehicle were to become disabled, I would not simply abandon it, as it provides a great deal of safety through shelter and visibility, and can carry more gear than I can. Besides, I typically wear camo or colors that would make me practically invisible to SAR, while my truck is a big red, silver, chrome and glass beacon.

coastwatcher42

That sort of money is probably better spent elsewhere. Like moving somewhere where such an expensive BOB is unneeded.

Please, tell me where this place is and I will move there immediately. The Earth is a dynamic, everchanging place and nowhere on it is immune from one sort of natural disaster or another. Of course, the chances of a natural disaster occuring at any given place during a person's lifetime are extremely remote but some locales have a higher probability of disasters (i.e. California= earthquakes, Florida=hurricanes, etc.) than others. Then you have to figure in man-made disasters (nuclear meltdowns, train derailments involving toxic chemicals, etc.). It's no wonder that prepping is becoming more and more mainstream every day.

I do agree that $4000 is a bit excessive for a BOB. This is due to the brands that the OP chose, not the actual items themselves. Has anyone priced the Surefire lights he has listed or the Benchmade 162 Bushcraft knife? You could assemble a well-stocked BOB for the cost of these items alone. I have built several extensive BOBs and my most expensive one is around $1300 and that includes a GPS, Iridium satphone, and phone card. I already had most of the items needed, though, because you tend to accumulate a lot of gear after 26 years in the Army and 35 years of backpacking, canoeing, and other outdoor pursuits. Just remember, you don't have to choose expensive brands for your BOB, buy what you can afford. Just make sure that it is reliable and durable. Pre-assembled BOBs can be had for less than $100. Of course the quality and completeness of such a bag might not be up to snuff, but it would sure beat nothing.

OP, I have several suggestions for your BOB that you might wish to consider. These come from a lifetime of military and outdoor experience. Of course you might incur the wrath of even more people if you implement them because they will increase the cost of your bag, unless you sell the Surefires to finance the changes.

Random Thoughts on RobRed's BOB
1) Ditch the jeans and get a pair of technical outdoor pants such as those made by Outdoor Research. Cotton is heavy, dries slowly, and is useless as an insulator when wet. The new technical garments are light, dry quickly, and are available with varying degrees of insulation. Some are even available with zip-off legs for summer use. Merino wool pants would also be another good option. The same goes for socks and t-shirts, no cotton. Wool is best for socks and technical synthetics for t-shirts. Darn Tough and Smartwool are good choices for socks and Patagonia Capilene t-shirts are awesome.
2) I see that you have first aid items scattered throughout your pack. Consolidate them into one container so that you will not have to dig through the whole pack during an emergency medical situation.
3) Get rid of the Coleman poncho as it does not breathe and doesn't offer complete coverage. Replace it with a set of propper rainwear such as those made by The North Face, Marmot, or Patagonia. Get the packable kind, not the expedition type stuff. My preference is for the Marmot Precip jacket and pants. They pack small and are breathable and light.
4) Ditch the Cyalume light shield, you don't need it. If you need to conceal the light for some reason, stick it in your pocket. I bought one when I was in the Army and threw it away after my first time out with it. I never throw away anything if that tells you anything.
5) I see that you have a cookset but nothing to cook on. Look at the Emberlit wood burning stove. It uses small twigs and sticks for fuel, folds absolutely flat, and weighs almost nothing, especially the titanium version. They also work much better than you might think. http://www.emberlit.com/en/
6) Speaking of your cookset, ditch it. Get a stainless GSI Glacier cup or a Snow Peak titanium cup. You don't need a whole cookset as this is a survival situation not a weekend camping trip. Don't forget a plastic or titanium spork.
7) The cup will nest on a 32 oz. Nalgene bottle and I suggest that you get one. Then get a MOLLE carrier that the bottle and cup will both fit in and attatch it to your pack. Maxpedition, Condor, and 5.11 Tactical all make such carriers but the fit will be snug with the cup.
8) A few energy bars aren't going to get you very far. Go out and get some freeze dried backpacking meals by Mountain House or Backpacker's Panty. If you feel that water to hydrate the meals might be hard to come by or you don't mind the extra weight, add some field stripped MREs to your pack. Powdered Gatoraide is also something good to have.
9) You need some way to supplement the food that you carry. An emergency fishing kit (http://www.bestglide.com/survival_fishing_kit.html) and snares (http://www.thompsonsnares.com/Replacement) will help you do this. *You have to scroll down the page on the snare site to get to the survival snares.* Also, get a good book on edible wild plants in your area and get out in the wild and learn them or put the book in a ziplock bag in your pack.
10) I don't know what your emergency bivy consists of, but a good, lightweight tarp is indespensible. Get a good quality one such as Kelty's Noah's Tarp or, my favorite, a BCUSA Multicam tarp from Bushcraft Outfitters (http://www.bushcraftoutfitters.com/BCUSA-Tarps_c.23.htm). You already have 550 cord but don't forget to add some tent pegs. MSR titanium are the best.
11) Get a small bottle of Purell hand sanitizer. You never know what kind of germs and viruses you might run into during a survival situation. If you want to stay with the tactical look that you have established, get the military version in the foliage green bottle. Also get a small bottle of Campsuds or a similar concentrated camp soap.
12) I see that you have maps but no navigational aids. First, road maps are fine but get yourself some USGS topographical maps of your area and the adjacent areas and get yourself a good compass. Suunto and Silva are good choices. Second, learn how to use them properly. I don't know how many times over the years that I've seen people on the trail carrying a compass that have absolutely no idea how to use it. A good resource is the book Be Expert with Map & Compass by Bjorn Kjellstrom. You can help protect your maps and make them more durable by treating them with Map Proof made by NikWax. You can also carry a GPS if you wish (I use a Garmin Oregon 600) but never rely exclusively on technology.
Sorry. I re-read your list and saw that you have a Suunto compass listed. I missed it the first time.
13) A synthetic base layer is a good idea to carry. You can vary the weight by season but they should always be available. Patagonia's Capilene base layers are highly recommended.
14) A USGI VS-17/GVX signal panel is another good option to carry. As you have gone for the tactical look, you might be hard to see in a S&R situation. The panel can be attached to you pack while you walk or laid out on the ground to make you more visible from the air. A smaller, lighter version of the military signal panel is available from Battle Systems LLC (http://www.battlesystemsllc.com/Marker_Panel,_Individual,_LW.html).
15) You have fire starting gear but nothing to aid you in geting it started. You can't always assume that dry tinder will be available. You know what they say about the word "assume." Adventure Medical's SOL brand, Zippo Outdoors, and Ultimate Survival Technologies (UST) all offer prepackaged tinder. Coghlan's makes a fire starting paste that comes in a tube and they also make fire starting sticks. You can make your own tinder by saturating cotton balls with petroleum jelly and keeping them in an empty pill bottle. These work very well and burn a long time. A plain old Bic lighter is also extremely useful. Lastly, get out and practice making a fire in various conditions and by various methods. It's easy to make a fire in your back yard on a sunny, dry day but another thing to make one when you are cold and everything is wet in a life-or-death situation.
16) Ditch your chainsaw and get a Bahco Laplander saw (http://www.amazon.com/Bahco-396-LAP-Laplander-Folding-9-Inch/dp/B0001IX7OW). In my experience, they are much easier to use, especially on smaller branches, because they don't require both hands. The Swedish made Bahco is the top-of-the-line when it comes to this type of saw. MOLLE pouches are also available for it from SORD USA (http://www.sordusa.com/Laplander-Saw-Pouch.html).
17) Get yourself some backpacker's toilet tissue like the kind offered by Coghlan's.
18) Get a small diamond or ceramic knife sharpener. A combination of the two would be best. Smith's and Lansky both have combination models available.
19) You don't need two pairs of gloves. Carry the Mechanix in the warmer months and the others when it's cold.
20) Make sure that you have a well-broken-in, comfortable pair of waterproof/breathable hiking boots available.
21) This point will be the most controversial to you but...ditch the Surefires. Surefire makes excellent lights, possibly the best in the world. I have owned or been issued many Surefire lights over the years and can find no fault with them but all of your other electronics evidently take AA batteries. There are many great lights out there that also take AAs, with the Fenix E20 (http://www.amazon.com/Fenix-Edition-Camping-Upgarde-3-mode/dp/B00R06NRZ2 and HL30 (http://www.midwayusa.com/product/3326858966/fenix-hl30-headlamp-led-with-batteries-2-aa-alkaline-aluminum-polymer-plastic) coming to mind. That way, you won't end up having to carry two types of batteries and all of your batteries will be interchangable. Also, AA batteries will be much easier to come across in a scavenging situation than CR123s will. Heck, CR123s are hard enough to find anyway. Every home, convenience store, drug store, variety store, and grocery store in America have AA batteries in them. How many locations do you think have CR123s in them?

Those are some of my initial impressions of your kit. Overall, I'd say that you did an excellent job and it's obvious that a lot of thought went into it. Remember too that survival is not just about having the things needed to survive, it is also about knowledge. You need to develop a mindset that you are going to make it, no matter what. Knowing how to properly use the items in your BOB is also extremely important. Get yourself some good surival books and read and study them. Whenever you are in the woods, try to put as many things from the books as you can into practice so that you wll be familiar with them. If you have no medical training (do you know how to properly use your Halo chest seal?), contact your local Red Cross to see when they will be giving courses. Depending on where you live, courses in wilderness survival may be available in your area. Check out the instructor's qualifications and take the course if he checks out.

Like you, I intentionally didn't include firearms because of their controversy in some circles. I personally am armed everytime I leave the house (I have a CCW permit) and my BOBs do contain arms and ammunition. I hope that some of this helps. I've spent many years aquiring my survival skills and knowledge but I too still have much to learn.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94