Go Pro mounts for GPS and iPad

BurbanAZ

Explorer
I have tried a few different mounts and arrangements over the years and have found things that I liked and hated about each way I tried.

I'm sure someone else has tried this, but I am mounting an iPad and a GPS unit in my 4Runner and decided to slightly modify some Go Pro mounts. By using a Go Pro mounting system it opens a lot of options for accessories, plus I know the Go Pro mounts are very good quality. I know the 3m tape is insanely strong so I'm thinking it should be enough for the iPad and garmin. Plus the way I figured, if it doesn't work and the tape fails or something then I can try something else since I'm not drilling holes or anything.

I found that to make it so I have a sticky attachment point on both ends I needed to cut one of the pieces off of the 3 side and file it down a tiny bit to fit.
image.jpg
image.jpg

After modifying the mounts a little bit everything else just connects like it's designed to
image.jpg

The I just picked where I wanted each unit mounted, prepped the surface and stuck the mount on.
image.jpg
image.jpg

We're going on a trip for a few days tomorrow, so we'll see how they hold up

Airmapper

Inactive Member
Interesting. I'm not knocking it, but I did everything in my power to avoid GoPro's mounting system.

Hope it works well for you, I'd be interested to see how it turns out.

BurbanAZ

Explorer
Interesting. I'm not knocking it, but I did everything in my power to avoid GoPro's mounting system.

Hope it works well for you, I'd be interested to see how it turns out.

I'm curious what u dont like about the Go Pro's mounting system? I've always been happy with anything that I've had that was made by Go Pro.

Airmapper

Inactive Member
How did it turn out?

I remembered this as I will probably be setting up some GoPro mounts on my Kayak very soon, the adhesive type you are using and came with the unit. In that application I think they will be okay.

I'm curious what u dont like about the Go Pro's mounting system? I've always been happy with anything that I've had that was made by Go Pro.

Sorry I didn't see this earlier.

First off, adhesive. I've rarely had good luck with a permanent reliable bond. I work with some adhesive tapes and have access to high quality 3M tapes, and have used them in a few applications where they do well, but overall I never trust it to hold anything that is not extremely light and has no force on it.

Second, plastic. I work with ABS plastic on a limited basis, and while I admire it's stronger than it looks, when it does fail it fails quickly. A bump or a sharp accidental blow and it's done.

Most of it comes from using RAM mounts for a long time. It's made from high grade materials (Usually aluminum or composite) coated with rubber so when assembled it's vibration resistant, strong, rigid, can take some accidental blows without damage. I'm confident enough with those mounts to use them on the vehicle exterior with no safety cords.

Another bias on my part is I already accumulated a variety of RAM components prior to owning a GoPro, and a extra piece here and there to fill gaps is much cheaper than buying GoPro branded parts and in my opinion thus far, a much superior design. Although the last time I compared GoPro to RAM mounting systems, I found the price difference was negligible.

smiper

Observer
Love this idea, and I have a shoe box of assorted mounts. Talk to me about the goose neck- what is it holding, and is it stable on the trails?

BurbanAZ

Explorer
I know this is an old thread but I've been using the go pro mounts for my iPad and my garmin on thousands of miles and months of trips since this thread and I can say that I love the mounts. Even with the heavy iPad 1 it holds great, stays stable and the nice thing is when we're done with a trip or if I don't want my nav stuff visible I can just take the mounts off really easy and I just have the small flat mount on the surface.

So just in case anyone was debating using these I've personally had a great experience and it was a lot more affordable than a lot of the options out there.

smiper

Observer
I know this is an old thread but I've been using the go pro mounts for my iPad and my garmin on thousands of miles and months of trips since this thread and I can say that I love the mounts. Even with the heavy iPad 1 it holds great, stays stable and the nice thing is when we're done with a trip or if I don't want my nav stuff visible I can just take the mounts off really easy and I just have the small flat mount on the surface.

So just in case anyone was debating using these I've personally had a great experience and it was a lot more affordable than a lot of the options out there.

Thanks for the report! You have more miles than I do, but I can confirm that my similar setup is working well and is quite stable.

Kevin108

Explorer
I think I spent about $13 on a giant assortment of generic mounts made to Go Pro specs. Everything from selfie sticks to floating handles with a dozen 3M adhesive pads and mounts or so. I avoid the Go Pro branded mounts simply because they are overpriced, but the system works quite well.

MOguy

Explorer
I think I spent about $13 on a giant assortment of generic mounts made to Go Pro specs. Everything from selfie sticks to floating handles with a dozen 3M adhesive pads and mounts or so. I avoid the Go Pro branded mounts simply because they are overpriced, but the system works quite well.

Where did you get your mounts?

itshanney

Looking at your pics, it looks like your A-pillar has the standard bolts you can remove and add a RAM ball. I did this in my 2008 Tacoma to hold my iPhone. Below is my thread with the parts list and instructions. It's the best mounting option I've ever had since it's literally bolted to the vehicle!

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/136396-2nd-Gen-Tacoma-iPhone-5S-Mount

As for the mount of the iPad in the center console, there's a product for the Tacoma's called the TechDeck that's designed to hold multiple electronics. Maybe there's something out there equivalent.

http://www.birddawgindustries.com/tech-deck.html

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94