Old YJ versus new Rubi

quickfarms

Adventurer
Watching that video has shown me there is no reason to buy a new rubicon. I am not a fan of electronics in an off road vehicle. I do like the AC, power steering, cruise control and stereo in my LJ.

My almost stock LJ can do it without a problem.

Actually the video is making me think about taking the restored stock 1964 jeep out, the only things that jeep lacks it the AC, stereo and power steering.

Garbinator

SeekTheMoneyTree
As a small child, i broke a tooth in 1961 getting smacked by the rear seat frame while traversing farmland during hours of darkness. In retrospect, it was thrilling to be a part of such an event, yet, older thinking has me realizing such a small land vessel was nothing other than a relic ATV. Slow, uncomfortable, no rollover protection, could not stop during after water crossings. Little to no shock absorpsion, yet played a key role in stopping world fascism.

The Jeep

If I were able, I would really like to have an original parade condition M151A2 MUTT, not because I wish to bash it, no, I would like it mainly to carry the aging Nam Veterans an the Cold War guys whom have trouble getting around. I find it sad the very vehicle that we troopers realied on for so many years were ordered cut in half by Governmental Authority. But, I guess thats a whole other story.

As for me and my modern Jeep, it does it all for me. I can only afford one toy, and my toy seems to do it all, only in an ultra modern sort of way.

Garbinator

SeekTheMoneyTree
Watching that video has shown me there is no reason to buy a new rubicon. I am not a fan of electronics in an off road vehicle. I do like the AC, power steering, cruise control and stereo in my LJ.

My almost stock LJ can do it without a problem.

Actually the video is making me think about taking the restored stock 1964 jeep out, the only things that jeep lacks it the AC, stereo and power steering.

I can totally understand your position here, in past years I too thought about building an entire older jeep frame style rig here in my garage. It would incure an expenditure totally incompatable with the wife as I am a Dave Ramsy grad and every dollar is accounted for. To a large degree I lack mechanical skills plus the fact I suffer from several nerve disorders.

As the future approaches, this build your own may become a reality just as the private aircraft industry of yesteryear. Over the years, I witnessed my father and his brother get totally bogged down with new regulations to such a degree it lead to the formation of co-ops being formed so as to spread the cost of ownership. Then came the sport pilot and kit planes to relieve some of the burden such regulation encroached upon. Just to stay in the air.

So it will be soon, the ending of the present form of multi use vehicles such as the Jeep. It just will not meet future up and coming regulatory mustard as I read it now. I was also blown away when I read big car makers are required to actually pay carbon credits to the U.S. department of Energy for X-amount of noxious gas emmitted into the atmosphere. Ozon.

So? Yes, soon, I believe the creation of your own utility vehicle will become mandatory.

Then, of course, are the open land issues tied directly into the topic matter at hand as well. Another thread maybe?

gps4

What I took away from the video is that the $5-10k yj went everywhere the $35-50k rubicon went. I'm sure there are places the rubicon can go that the yj can't, but for my entertainment purposes, I'd be just as happy with the yj.

quickfarms

Adventurer
I can totally understand your position here, in past years I too thought about building an entire older jeep frame style rig here in my garage. It would incure an expenditure totally incompatable with the wife as I am a Dave Ramsy grad and every dollar is accounted for. To a large degree I lack mechanical skills plus the fact I suffer from several nerve disorders.

Then, of course, are the open land issues tied directly into the topic matter at hand as well. Another thread maybe?

I am fortunate that my wife does not keep track of my accounts, she does not want to deal with them, she has her own accounts and it works great for us. Before we got married I tough her all about money.

It is funny you bring up the open land issues. The truth is that my work truck sees many more trail miles than my jeeps. When you take a work truck down these jeep trails you really learn how to drive off road. It is more enjoyable to be paid to run trails than do it when I want to be with the family. The added benefit is I have yet to have any issues with the work truck, it is usually the opposite.

Last edited:

Garbinator

SeekTheMoneyTree
Quickfarm, I am right there with you. Raised up exactly the same, only we had a high mountain cabin to boot. I lern't by way of Okie ingenuity at it finest!

This is what you got... Learn to use what it is you got, cause boy! Thats all we got!

Which, by todays standards is or has turned into a multi-billion dollar industry of whackadoodles! Including training classes folks can buy.

Far as money/accountability? It was a handshake contract deal we made together. A story most would not care to hear I suppose. But, nearing the end of our highest productive years it has proved "Wished I'd done that" long long time ago. As I (read We) made dum decisions during our 41 years together. Now we standby and watch our own kids do the struggle.

Last edited:

shays4me

Willing Wanderer
Thanks for posting the video, I for one enjoyed it! As it was previously mentioned it would be nice to compare a two door JK with a stock YJ with identical tires to take that out of the equation. As far as that goes, throw a TJ, CJ7, CJ5, MB etc in and do some real evaluations on a test course designed for that sort of thing. It would be cool to see how far we've come, or haven't really. That would be awesome............

lumpskie

Independent Thinker
Wow, the spring rate on the YJ is way too high; it didn't flex at all! Replace those springs (and probably the over valved shocks) and you'd get a nice smooth ride with way more flex. Better yet, just pull the 2nd leaf out of all the packs and try again. All the talk of comfort or jarring ride can be fixed for free that way!

MTSN

Explorer
Those guys are painful to watch. They don't know how to drive very well, and their understanding seems pretty shallow in everything I've seen them do. The comparison is a fun one but a little silly as you can take virtually any new vehicle and compare it to something designed in the mid 80s and the new one will make the old look half baked. Also the totality of what makes a vehicle good or "better" is a lot more than if it can drive up and down a slightly rutted unpaved road particularly considering most Jeeps don't get taken off road regularly. The JK beats all prior Jeeps in the totality area, and I have litttle doubt whatever replaces it will be better than the JK.

Garbinator

SeekTheMoneyTree
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/rollover/unsafe/cron.html

I was able to pull this off the Internet which gives a good synopsis of regulatory governmental interference with multipurpose all-terrain vehicle regulation. I am sure I could find information regarding the development of the YJ and how it was supposed to be a rollover compliant jeep able to meet the new standards that the insurance Institute and other all new federal compliance laws mandated.

Back in 1988 when I purchased my Jeep Sahara I had no idea that jeep completely redesigned it's suspension system under such circumstances at the time. It wasn't until I took it off road that I started realizing the serious flaws the factory suspension presented not only with the ride but the Constant problem of little to no contact of rubber on a simple trail. It really had nothing to do with driver expertise. It was a suspension system designed only to meet new traffic and safety rules otherwise I believe the Jeep Corporation faced total extinction of the jeep. This is exactly what happened to the famous Suzuki samurai when it came out in its original form.

Yes in the video it did show the YJ with a lift and larger tires which I never had. But as I said previously this is the only comparison I have seen since my ownership days.

Many years later once to TJ came on the scene – in 2000 I believe, backyard customizer started employing the TJ coil suspension over to the YJ completely doing away with all factory components that took away from their off-road go anywhere ability.

Regards to modification to the engine/carburetor it was nearly impossible during that year due to California air resources regulations hindering modifications to the existing factory approved system.

For Californians, it has worsened over the years.

Last edited:

lumpskie

Independent Thinker
^I know what you mean about living in California... I'm glad I moved away from that state. Good points about Jeep's OEM suspension as well. My comment was only pointing to the fact that you can set up a leaf spring suspension to ride just as well as a coil suspension... and flex almost as well. My old Wagoneer doesn't have a Cadillac ride, but it's comfortable and flexes well over terrain. I'd go so far as to say that my Wagoneer with a 2" lift will flex as well as a stock JK Rubi.

I guess my point is they're right to say that the new Rubi has a better suspension but don't sell the YJ short.

Garbinator

SeekTheMoneyTree
^I know what you mean about living in California... I'm glad I moved away from that state. Good points about Jeep's OEM suspension as well. My comment was only pointing to the fact that you can set up a leaf spring suspension to ride just as well as a coil suspension... and flex almost as well. My old Wagoneer doesn't have a Cadillac ride, but it's comfortable and flexes well over terrain. I'd go so far as to say that my Wagoneer with a 2" lift will flex as well as a stock JK Rubi.

I guess my point is they're right to say that the new Rubi has a better suspension but don't sell the YJ short.

Keyword in my post regards my 1988 YJ, is the fact it was all stock, at the time no aftermarket suspension was available then. As the years went by more aftermarket suspension solutions came along to include the all-important electronic fuel injection system that vastly upgraded not only the horsepower but the usability at higher altitudes eliminating the problems that the carburetor suffered. At the time being a subscriber to Four-Wheel magazine there were many options a wrangler owner could do to upgrade the carburetion system but sadly none of those options were available to California Jeep owners at the time. The only way we could've had such upgrade would mandate swapping out the carburetors whenever smog testing came due.

I also believe it was the first jeep I ever owned that came with factory air conditioning. I will never forget my right knee being frozen stiff on hot days. Now that's truly jeepin' boys

Yeah, sitting here in the comfort of my own air conditioned home, makes me laugh at those thoughts from yesteryear. I thought then I was riding in the most amazing jeep I'd ever been in. Then realizing just after coming out of my favorite greasy spoon coffee shop yesterday, I stood at the exit and pushed my remote start so as to crankup the engine and air conditioner on high so as to cool it down by the time I reached the JK. Call me spoiled if you want, I really don't care, because I think I am spoiled.

��

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz