Do I really NEED a 7.3L E350?

Good evening,

I have been looking at Ford Econoline cargo vans to transform into a stealth camper as many of you have done. Got all crazy about it several years ago but decided to stick with my Tacomas instead. Van bug has bit me again though I have decided on an Econline.

From what I have read and through all of the builds here I see the 7.3 is the most desirable engine. I am having a good bit of trouble finding a good 7.3 E350 for sale. There a a bunch of vans with other engines out there though. So my question is how much do I really need the big diesel?

My plan is to put an decent interior set up in and trying to take several months off to travel around the country. After I get back a U-joint 4x4 conversion and someone's pop top roof. I want something in pretty good shape so that I won't feel like I am wasting money putting the pop top and 4x4 in.

I do not have anything to tow or plan on it in the future. I have always had smaller Toyota pickups so not a HP junkie.

I am not in a big hurry so do you all think I should just wait and keep my eyes peeled or be happy with another engine in a well taken care of van?

Thanks for the help!

Joe

This whole engine debate started after reading several builders that seemed happy with the smaller gas V8's. The last one was DirtyHippy something another's thread.

Arctic Travelller

Adventurer
The whole gas / diesel topic has been beaten to death many times over, but here's my take on it. Diesels need expensive modifications inorder to be reliable, cost more to maintain, and parts are more expensive. Plenty of folks love them for thier towing ability, huge gobs of torque, longer range and better fuel economy. For me, the simplicity of a gas motor, the minimal cost of maintenance and the long life they can provide don't make a diesel attractive enough. There are plenty of V8s and V10s that have gone well over 200K miles and even on to 300K. Change the oil regularly, put in plugs every 100K and perhaps a water pump, fuel pump or alternator and your on your way. I think you could buy all of those for just the cost of one HPOP. If you buy a diesel that is stock, expect to invest thousands to make it reliable. Not to mention, vans for sale with gas motors greatly seem to outnumber diesels. Still, given the choice between a properly upgraded diesel and an equal van with a gas motor, I might go for the diesel, but the cost's will most likely be far higher. ................

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
I found a E350 in good shape with a 7.3 PSD for much less than any gasser you'll find... I couldn't be happier. Given your long term plans, I'd hold out for a diesel 6.9 or 7.3. 7.3s are super reliable out of the box.

6.0 diesels are money pits. They can be built, but they'll cost you several thousand to make them reliable.

Mines got over 15k hrs and 200,000+ miles , it's very reliable. I expect to get lots more.

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
I've had three 7.3 PSD and only one 6.8l V10van.
with the v8 gas motors your limitation is rather small, the v10 has nearly the same or the same limitations as the 7.3 PSD but I found personally the v10 needed way more maintenance than all of my 7.3s put together.
besides the cool factor of a 7.3 is nearly unbeatable. and getting 20-22 miles per gallon is just plain awesome.

JCTex

Observer
I have a white cargo E350 7.3 RB w barn doors that I'm just about to list as soon as I get pix off camera. Bought it to do exactly what you want to do. It is ready for the insulation phase. It already has an Austin-SMB built Electric Penthouse. PM or call me: tu-one-fore, 5-sevun-ate, sixtee9, sixtee3.

Jerry

Heloflyboy

Adventurer
If you buy a diesel that is stock, expect to invest thousands to make it reliable.

That is a very funny statement.
I have 190k on my 7.3 E350 it is completely reliable and stock. I just got back from a trip towing 11k pounds, we got 14mpg in mountains as high as 9k feet. I had a V8 4x4 van that my family loved, but it could not tow 6K in the mountains and when it did it got 8 mpg.
Find a van that suits your needs and go for it. Gas or diesel both have there ups and downs. The 7.3 takes almost 4 gallons of oil so that it is big hit compared to 5.5 quarts when it comes to changing the oil. If you are not towing you probably have no need for a diesel.
I stealth camp in the bay area 4 days a week for work and it works great for me, it is pretty well set up with a sink,microwave and a comfortable bed, other then not having a shower I find it more comfortable then a hotel.

Good Luck

workerdrone

Part time fulltimer
I love me my diesels and just bought a 6.0 liter in fact, but if I was primarily building a stealth camper I'd go gas no question.

Part of stealth in my book is being able to creep into a cozy spot after hours, or leave early, without waking up the neighborhood. Gassers are nice and quiet for that, might enable repeat use of the same spots without arousing suspicion - sounds just like anyone's car starting up and leaving.

VANMAN

Observer
Anyone who makes a blanket statement about diesels being unreliable does not know what they are talking about....6.0 PSD well maybe not the best in the world but 7.3 PSD? great engine...keep the oli clean....6.9/7.3 IDI great engines...I have one for many years no issue....

86scotty

Cynic
Skipping all the other posts I'll answer your question objectively
"Do I really need a 7.3 E350"
My answer is no. They are nice of course. They are also rare and demand quite a premium these days. I'm super happy with my 95 460. 10-11 mpg but basically no maintenance. You might get a few more mpgs out of a 7.3 but oil changes will be 5x as expensive, and other maintenance higher too, additives, etc. They're also louder, which is a turnoff dormant as a camping vehicle.
For my next e350 I'll look for a V10 instead of the exhausting search and price of a clean, cheap unicorn 7.3
If my next door neighbor had one for sale my answer might be different.
Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
I prefer to say, 7.3 is making sound not noise.
as far as stealth capabilities with a diesel, there's so many people running diesel these days it's a non-issue even if you sit and idle it for a little while to get power or AC.

oh yeah, must invest money to make a diesel reliable... I'll give you my first hand experience with my current van.
I bought it droving home 800 miles, built interior a little bit, drove it to Florida... 6 months pass and a few thousand miles so I give it an oil change. I moved to a different location in Florida and travel back home a few times moved around Florida some more and decided to give her an oil change. I did have a problem with the belt from autozone so I put back the belt I had, never a problem since.. so in a little over a year I did two oil changes and that's it.
I'm about to order the water pump on Monday morning because it has weapage, and I'm tired of constantly filling it up lol other than that nothing else.
and don't get me started in my past vans, diesels to me require less maintenance less overall cost and less problems then one gasser van I had.

Last edited:

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
I prefer to say, 7.3 is making sound not noise.
as far as stealth capabilities with a diesel, there's so many people running diesel these days it's a non-issue even if you sit and idle it for a little while to get power or AC.

oh yeah, must invest money to make a diesel reliable... I'll give you my first hand experience with my current van.
I bought it droving home 800 miles, built interior a little bit, drove it to Florida... 6 months pass and a few thousand miles so I give it an oil change. I moved to a different location in Florida and travel back home a few times moved around Florida some more and decided to give her an oil change. I did have a problem with the belt but why not being the belt I replaced it with from autozone was the problem. so in a little over a year I did to oil changes and that's it.

I've put in a 'monster' glow plug relay, rebuilt the fuel bowl, have a new set of glow plugs, new alternator... What do I need to do to make my 15,500 hr PSD reliable? I'm not trying to derail the thread... Just trying to be sure OP has all the facts.

BTW, <$500 for alternator (215amp), and above maintenance. It also had a newish starter, and I replaced the batteries in it under warranty.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94

Members online