new recovery tracks for large offroad vehicles

alan

Explorer
I hope there hourly rate is not to high:)
two sets went out in Australia, and 2 to the US and 1 to Canada, i have not heard if the overseas sets have reached there destinations yet.

Well Allan, it looks like you sent them to 5 testers that get paid by the hour...:coffeedrink:

biggoolies

Adventurer
Recovery tracks arrived

Well the recovery tracks arrived. I would have gotten them much earlier but I missed the shipment since I was away. Now, I have never seen recovery tracks in person before so I am no expert on them but with the purpose for the tracks in mind, I will try to help those who are interested in purchasing a set. I took a series of pictures of the tracks with close-ups so I will include these in the description.
On the box the tracks shipped in, it states the tracks weigh 11.6 kg or about 26 pounds. They come strapped together with velcro straps in four spots. The tops of the tracks have oval protrusions to help your tire to grip onto the tracks while you drive over them. On the base of the track is cross type protrusions the would help prevent the tracks from moving in the sand or mud you are in. The long side of the track has wavy sides to help keep the track firmly in place while your truck "climbs" over it. The short ends of the track have ramps to help get the track under your tire and to aid getting your track onto the track. The base is also quite indented so you can dig them in well to keep them in place. I would imagine that the waves on the sides and the ramp ends along with the indentations and square pattern would help to reinforce the track and keep it from breaking. I would expect them to be quite robust and resilient to damage. For those who would like the dimensions in inches. About 60 inches long or 5 feet and about 17 inches at the widest spots. About 2.5 inches at the deepest but of course hollow.

In the next couple of weeks, I will take them to a nice sandy area, get my fuso stuck and use them to get the heck out of dodge.

Attachments

• DARCYTABLET - WIN_20150730_142759.JPG
    DARCYTABLET - WIN_20150730_142759.JPG
    350.8 KB · Views: 49
  • DARCYTABLET - WIN_20150730_142811.JPG
    DARCYTABLET - WIN_20150730_142811.JPG
    174.3 KB · Views: 40
  • DARCYTABLET - WIN_20150730_142820.JPG
    DARCYTABLET - WIN_20150730_142820.JPG
    174.5 KB · Views: 39
  • DARCYTABLET - WIN_20150730_142738.JPG
    DARCYTABLET - WIN_20150730_142738.JPG
    336.8 KB · Views: 42
  • DARCYTABLET - WIN_20150730_142711.JPG
    DARCYTABLET - WIN_20150730_142711.JPG
    158.1 KB · Views: 42
  • DARCYTABLET - WIN_20150730_142651.JPG
    DARCYTABLET - WIN_20150730_142651.JPG
    171.8 KB · Views: 43
  • DARCYTABLET - WIN_20150730_142642.JPG
    DARCYTABLET - WIN_20150730_142642.JPG
    221.3 KB · Views: 42
  • DARCYTABLET - WIN_20150730_142629.JPG
    DARCYTABLET - WIN_20150730_142629.JPG
    189.7 KB · Views: 40
  • DARCYTABLET - WIN_20150730_142624.JPG
    DARCYTABLET - WIN_20150730_142624.JPG
    194.1 KB · Views: 42
  • DARCYTABLET - WIN_20150730_142604.JPG
    DARCYTABLET - WIN_20150730_142604.JPG
    192.2 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:

westyss

Explorer
Well the recovery tracks arrived. I would have gotten them much earlier but I missed the shipment since I was away. Now, I have never seen recovery tracks in person before so I am no expert on them but with the purpose for the tracks in mind, I will try to help those who are interested in purchasing a set. I took a series of pictures of the tracks with close-ups so I will include these in the description.
On the box the tracks shipped in, it states the tracks weigh 11.6 kg or about 26 pounds. They come strapped together with velcro straps in four spots. The tops of the tracks have oval protrusions to help your tire to grip onto the tracks while you drive over them. On the base of the track is cross type protrusions the would help prevent the tracks from moving in the sand or mud you are in. The long side of the track has wavy sides to help keep the track firmly in place while your truck "climbs" over it. The short ends of the track have ramps to help get the track under your tire and to aid getting your track onto the track. The base is also quite indented so you can dig them in well to keep them in place. I would imagine that the waves on the sides and the ramp ends along with the indentations and square pattern would help to reinforce the track and keep it from breaking. I would expect them to be quite robust and resilient to damage. For those who would like the dimensions in inches. About 60 inches long or 5 feet and about 17 inches at the widest spots. About 2.5 inches at the deepest but of course hollow.

In the next couple of weeks, I will take them to a nice sandy area, get my fuso stuck and use them to get the heck out of dodge.

Way to go Darcy, swing by my place and Ill help test them out with you and maybe distract you and run off with them!

biggoolies

Adventurer
Way to go Darcy, swing by my place and Ill help test them out with you and maybe distract you and run off with them!

Hi Yves:
That would be great. It would be good to see you again. Sometime in the near future if you are available.
Darcy

Aussie Iron

Explorer
Well , here you go Folks a Video of using my recovery tracks in a sandy river bed. I've left a long lead in to the video as it shows a good example of the front diff centre working (also supplied by Alan). I could have driven around this soft patch as you will see by the other tyre tracks but you know when you have a 4ft diameter Gum tree in front of you that I could have winched off it was a no brainer to try and get stuck. They work well as can be seen.

Dan.

Last edited:

Fugly

Adventurer
Dan

Good to see both the tracks in action as well as the front dif....
Thanks for sharing ....

Cheers Fugly

alan

Explorer
Well , here you go Folks a Video of using my recovery tracks in a sandy river bed. I've left a long lead in to the video as it shows a good example of the front diff centre working (also supplied by Alan). I could have driven around this soft patch as you will see by the other tyre tracks but you know when you have a 4ft diameter Gum tree in front of you that I could have winched off it was a no brainer to try and get stuck. They work well as can be seen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6-93EZ6zws&feature=youtu.be

Dan.

Hi Dan,
Great video! thank you, i hope all went well on the trip a good test for wheels , LSD and the tracks..:smiley_drive:

Bris31

Adventurer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6-93EZ6zws&feature=youtu.be

Dan.

Hi Dan, what was the tyre pressure you had at that time and also if you remember what part of the Cape York it was ?

Brij

Aussie Iron

Explorer
Hi Dan, what was the tyre pressure you had at that time and also if you remember what part of the Cape York it was ?

Brij

Tyre pressure was 45psi front and 55 in the rear ( there will be more why in my trip report ). The place of this sand crossing is at the bottom of the hill at Maytown.

Dan.

westyss

Explorer
Nice vid Dan, looks like both of those items, LSD and tracks work well, good to see that, and nice set up too!

GR8ADV

Explorer
Tyre pressure was 45psi front and 55 in the rear ( there will be more why in my trip report ). The place of this sand crossing is at the bottom of the hill at Maytown.

Dan.

Nice video, thanks for making the time to share. What wheel and tyre combo is that?

westyss

Explorer
I hope there hourly rate is not to high:)
two sets went out in Australia, and 2 to the US and 1 to Canada, i have not heard if the overseas sets have reached there destinations yet.

Bueller?Bueller?

Reviewing this thread and noticed two things, one, that there was a disproportionate ratio of where the tracks went, ie, two to the US, two to Australia and only one to Canada, now that seems like a simply honest mistake that can be easily rectified, I believe Alan you have my address!

The other thing I noticed was that there really has only been one test so if the ratio of where the tracks went doesn't change I think the right thing to do is to RIP them away from a non tester and send them to someone in Canada for prompt and immediate testing! I can probably find that person too!:elkgrin:

lastly.....come on guys lets go get some testing done!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94