Body protection help

98dango

Expedition Leader
What dose everyone hear use. I'm not talking I bought this arb bumper and theses bolt on parts.

My truck is usually in the 8k range and I want to jack it up off the slider. I also want a step so it will stick out side the body. However if it drops down on a rock I want the truck supported.

My initial thought was to use 2x6 1/4 box tubing. That is very heavy. I also was thinking 2x4 could work or even 3/16. I can build just about any thing but I'm no engineer.

Also my sliders will be just under 10 feet long and 18" from the frame. I had planned to use 2x2 box to build the mounts any and all ideas are welcomed.

20150614_120941.jpg

1stDeuce

Explorer
With that tall Ford, you shouldn't have that much to worry about on most trails it'll fit down, but here's a link to Jack's rocker guards on his 2500 chevy. This is a pretty stout setup as far as I can tell. :)

98dango

Expedition Leader
It's not that tall and my trips end me up in Moab to often ( wife loves it there). So I will actually crawl this. It looks tall but it is 3" lift and 35" tires soon to be 3" lift and 40" tiers with sliders and fender guards just not Shure how heavy to go

amgvr4

Adventurer
I would use .250 wall for the supports from the frame to the main tube, but the main tube will be plenty strong enough with 2x2x.188". If you don't have a tubing bender just use some 1x2" square tube for the steps. I like the idea of having it removable so I will weld some pate with 1/2-13 weld nuts to my frame and bolt the sliders to that.

98dango

Expedition Leader
I plan to make it removable. I also was thinking of 2x4 slides 1.5x2 box cut in the slider so I can do a face weld and not just a but weld.

But then I think 2" herw or dom would be the way to go with some dimple die plate on top.

98dango

Expedition Leader
Hear is what I'm thinking cut my rocker and door where you see the black line. This is called a boat side. The pre superduty trucks don't have this lower section. I will not have to cut cab supports or body mounts. Just unless sheet metal.

a631692e25c5203ce11ddf768df83402.jpg

2184d9211e0bc1afa19b83a62c1d1d70.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

amgvr4

Adventurer
Boat siding your truck would be the best from a clearance stand point for sure and since you would not be cutting into the cab it would not be that much work either. I think that 2x4 is overkill and would only add weight and cost with little to gain from it. 2x2x.188 is super strong and you would be hard pressed to bend or even dent it. I like the idea of having dimpled plate as a step between the "wings" and the main tube.

98dango

Expedition Leader
I'm still torn on what I want to use. I do have it planned out for a few different styles. I hope to be able to start cutting this weekend. Once it's cut I'm forced to make a decision.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles