A Forgotten G-Wagon.....

Marco Swanepoel

Hi All

My name is Marco I am from South Africa and I have a passion to own a Gelanderwagen and explore Africa with it

I came accross this G Wagon abundant in a parking lot in Johannesburg the only details I have is that it has been standing their for +- 10 years.
image.jpg

I have now made it my mission to find the owner and return this amazing vehicle to its former glory !

I anyone have any info on this G Wagon please help me.

burquedoka

Adventurer
Interesting. It has a stretched frame. The space between the rear door and fender is longer than stock. It's a strange perspective, but it also looks like the rear axle is relocated further back? I can't quit tell, but that space I mentioned first is definatly unusual. I'd love to hear what you find out about it. Good luck with the Hunt!

Canada G

Observer
Armoured And if i am correct it was made for nelson mandela. It has a v8 engine. No 5 liter but a 3,8 but not sure about that.

Tacoma13SR5

Observer
Since that beaut has been sitting there for that long, is there any way it could be claimed as abandoned and you'd be able to buy it somehow?

Marco Swanepoel

Not if the ANC has their vingers on it.

I think there is so much red tape around that car it will probably be sitting for the next 10 years !!!

DUTCH

Curmudgeon
If it's armoured, I would NOT want to use it to explore around Africa. All that weight will be terrible on fuel, as well as wanting to bog down in any less than ideal road surfaces.

Marco Swanepoel

No if it is armoured I dont want it !

I'll rather build my own one

Now the BIG question: Do I start with a long wheel base 3 door or a 5 door G wagon ?

Canada G

Observer
5 door without the rear window and add the 3 door rear end.

The mandela stretched is a one off build in the 80's and i think done by AMG. Proberly the first stretched armoured ever build.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior