Southern Ontario to B.C. and back again - The little SX4 that could

WagoneerSX4

Adventurer
After about a year of slowly planning the trip was a huge success! Weather was great for being spring time, we really couldn't have asked for better. It all started when I found out my girlfriend has never been farther west than Saskatchewan. I knew this had to change, so we started to planning a road trip to the Canadian Rockies. To keep my girlfriend happy the plan was to camp all the way out there, stay in jasper, then head into B.C. for a day trip and then back into Banff and then my family flew out to Canmore, AB for a week to meet us. That we had some luxury in between camping so it wasn't 3 weeks straight of camping. I kept this trip pretty safe. It was not only my first car trip across Canada but it was my girlfriend's first REAL camping trip that didn't consist of staying in full service campsites and in bear country. She started out the trip being absolutely terrified of bears. We've had a couple bear encounters in northern ontario but those are just black bears, not grizzlies. And boy did we have some encounters with grizzlies... more on that later. I'm going to stick mostly to photos that include the SX4 and trailer but we took about 2000 photos so if you'd like to see anything that I talked about let me know and I'll post it.

Total mileage driven: 8,420km / 5,232 miles.
Fuel economy average for entire trip: 12.15L/100km / 19.4mpg
Vehicle: Suzuki SX4 AWD
Trailer: Custom RTT box trailer built off a habor freight frame
Trip length : 22 days

We headed straight north up to Bruce Peninsula to take the ferry to Manitoulin island. We planned this because it's the only way to bypass heading through Toronto and cottage country and again, my girlfriend has never been on a big ferry before. It's also a nice way to split up the day instead of sitting in a car for 12hrs straight. It rained so hard that day we couldn't see 50ft around the boat, so we really didn't get a very scenic tour.

Shortly after the ferry was our first planned campsite in Chutes provincial park. It's a pretty nice park with quite a nice hiking path that goes around all the falls and loops around. We woke up early and hiked the full loop.

The rockies are gorgeous, but driving through northern Ontario has got to be one of the most beautiful places in Canada. Not quite the impact of driving through mountains, but it's got it's own little special charm. Every single turn you go around you're greeted with a postcard scene. We stopped probably every 30min to take photos.

After spottting many moose and black bears, we finally rolled into Kakabeka Falls. We arrived much later than anticipated with all the photo stops along the north shore of Superior. This is quite a touristy campsite, but the falls are really beautiful. Again we got up early and hiked around the park and took some photos.

After a couple more stops in Ontario parks just to check out the sites, we finally headed out to Manitoba.

I have to be completely honest, this is when the trip got SUPER boring. And this is coming from someone who lives in South-western Ontario, I know a thing or two about boring. If we could have just transported from North-western Ontario to Calgary, AB, it would have been awesome. The roads in winnipeg were brutal and gave my trailer suspension a good work out. So much of a good workout, that the frame where the front spring hanger was mounted started to bend. Not too terrible, but it definitely needed to be fixed before going any further. Since we were well out of winnipeg at this point, we didn't have much options for materials. With the help of GPS, I gimped it to a home hardware that was about 50km away. Yes, that was the closest store available, and it took us off route quite a ways. I ended up getting two steel brackets and used the store demo drill to drill holes in them so I couldn't use them as frame reinforcements. Thanks to the home hardware employee that allowed me to do this who shall remain nameless :)

This is why you should always carry spare tools on road trips! Never know what will break. I ended up banging the frame back with the backside of my axe and kept the bracket from bending any more with vice grips. I checked it every couple of 100km's but it didn't budge one bit for the rest of the trip!

This is just an idea of how exciting Saskatchewan is.

Not only was Saskatchewan the most boring place I've ever visited in my life, but it was also the most unfriendly province in Canada that we came across. Some of the towns you roll into for something to eat you quickly get the hint that they don't want outsiders there. We tried to stay away from the roadside fast food places to get an idea of the local scene and help out the local privately owned businesses. This turned out to not be such a good idea here. Think of the stereotypical farmer standing in overalls and cocking a shotgun while staring at you.

We pretty much high-tailed it through the prairies as fast as I was comfortable with towing the trailer. Okay that's a lie, it was pretty much as fast as the SX4 was capable of going. With a severe head-wind the entire way through the prairies, there were some parts where I was in third gear to the floor just to stay at 100km/h (speed limit is 110). Poor little SX4 was a trooper though, never complained even once about the abuse she was getting put through. It was ironic that the flattest, straightest roads ever was where we got the worst fuel economy of the entire trip. This is where the 40L gas tank of the SX4 became REALLY annoying. The tiny tank is barely adequate when I'm getting 8L/100km, but when you're average twice that, you find yourself running out of gas before you get to the next gas station. Luckily I always had my 20L aux gas can on the trailer filled. Two separate times we wouldn't have even been close to the making the next gas station if we didn't have extra gas with us.

We were very happy to finally see this sign:

Not that that meant the boringness would stop. But at least you get a little more wildlife and SOMEthing to look at when you get into Eastern Alberta. We stayed in a little campsite just off the highway outside Calgary. It was literally just a square patch of land where we parked and opened up the RTT. We had the whole site to ourselves. It was the next day when we would finally spot the things we were chasing... tiny little mountains starting to appear on the horizon.

We went through Banff and then headed up the icefields parkway (hwy 93) up to Jasper. I wouldn't be surprised if this is the most scenic drive in the entire world. This drive alone was worth the 14hrs of torture driving across the prairies. I'll let some photos do the talking for me:

Once again, the SX4 was getting a workout. It's amazing what good use this thing makes of 150bhp and 140tq. On one of the "scenic lookouts" there was a minivan that couldn't make the climb back up to the road because of the loose gravel and gignatic potholes and had to use the entrance ramp instead of the exit. I said challenge accepted and climbed right out with no drama besides a little wheelspin. This might have been in my head but I swear I heard applause as I drove off.

We got to Jasper with plenty of daylight left even after stopping what seemed like a hundred times again. Luckily I had my gas can filled again because gas was $1.55/L ($5.87/USgal) along the parkway. When we got to Jasper the gas was actually cheaper than it was back in Ontario. Why do I live in Ontario...

We stayed at Whistlers campsite just outside Jasper. It was a perfect combo of still have essential services but being on the edge of wilderness. It was rudding season for the Elk and the females apparently use this campsite as a sanctuary to have babies because they know the bears will stay away. Well, apparently this plan wasn't fool-proof because when we got there they were in the process of removing quite a large black bear from the site that was eating a baby Elk. I have to say, they do this in quite a humane way compared to how we treat our wildlife in Ontario. It was nice to see. But then I had the job of calming down my girlfriend who even before this was terrified of bears. You can imagine her emotional state after seeing a bear rip apart a little elk in a campsite where we were going to be sleeping that night. But I have to give her props, she sucked it up as best she could... clutching her bear spray in the tent like a teddy bear every night.

Seeing Elk just hanging around the campsite all the time was really cool. One morning we woke up and a VERY pregnant momma Elk was laying down beside our picnic table. So we basically had breakfast with an Elk sitting a couple feet away from us. The only bad thing was Elk pellets everywhere. And I mean EVERYwhere. After a while you just stopped trying to avoid them and just walked through them.

Campsite in jasper:

The next morning we took the Jasper Skytram up the mountain. There was an optional hike at the top of the skytram to the peak of the mountain. It was labelled as "moderate" so we thought we'd give it a go. Another moment of honesty, this hike kicked my butt. It basically walking an incline straight up the side of a rocky mountain side. There were countless people who started out and then gave up after a couple of minutes but we didn't give up and made it to the top. And it was totally worth it!

I also LOVE the vehicles around here! I've seen so many modified adventure vehicles I was having panic attacks. Everything from a modified toyota tacoma with a camper on the back to an Earth Roamer!!!

Last edited:

WagoneerSX4

Adventurer
The next couple days we hiked and mountain biked every single trail that we had time for. We were absolutely exhausted and actually looking forward to sitting in a car for a day and heading over into B.C. and then back into Alberta into Banff. These are just some of the beautiful sites Jasper has to offer. I think Jasper was the highlight of the trip for me. It's not as touristy as Banff and is a lot more natural and was not busy at all. On each hike we went on we were lucky to run into another person on the trails.

Speaking of hiking, this is where we had our first bear encounter. We headed up to the tailhead of Valley of Five Lakes. If anyone visits Jasper, this is a MUST. Some of the most beautiful lakes I've ever seen. Anyways, when we first showed up we had a nice older couple come over to us and inform us that was currently a big grizzly bear at the beginning of the trail blocking the bridge. We asked the normal questions like when was it last spotted, what was it doing, did it show signs of aggression, etc. It turned out it was spotted over an hour ago and it was just digging for routes by the shoreline. The woman looked horrified that we were still planning on doing the hike and I tried to nicely explain to her that any trail you go on out here you're probably not more than a 100m away from a bear. I think I may ruined the rest of her husbands trip by saying that because I don't think she really thought about that until I said it. So ended up pairing up with another couple that we met who also wanted to do the hike but didn't want to do it alone after hearing of the bear. So we had 4 people, 4 cans of bear spray, and hopefully enough common sense between the 4 of us to handle venturing out on the hike.

We got to the bridge where the bear was last spotted and didn't see any signs that he was still there. It was a pretty large open area, so we were confident he had moved on. We went on our way making sure to keep talking loudly which wasn't difficult since we were socializing with the couple we had just met. About an hour later the husband just starts muttering, "I found him, I found him, I found him." At that point the bear wasn't on our minds anymore so we had no idea what he was talking about. But then his face turned white and he started to push his way through the group and started into a brisk jog. We then turned around to a grizzly bear on the trail directly behind us. I've seen many black bears on trails in Northern Canada, and have even seen grizzlies in zoos, but this was a different experience. I can't say I was afraid at all when I turned around as I was way too excited about finally seeing a grizzly in the wild! I quickly came to realize that nobody shared my excitement and they had left me alone with the bear. Since our greater numbers for safety was no longer in play, I decided to slowly back up the trail away from him, one hand on my bear spray. I don't think he really even cared we were there, he just kept on walking up the trail and then finally veered off into the forest. What an experience that was! It doesn't sink in just how huge a grizzly is until you're by yourself a mere feet away from one in the middle of nowhere. It really gives you respect for them and a better understanding that they're not always a danger. I was surprised by the reaction my girlfriend had. I think this was the turning point for her on the trip of not being afraid of wildlife anymore. We came across a grizzly in the wild and it didn't eat us! I guess all it takes is a grizzly encounter for some reason to be more comfortable camping!

Next we headed over into B.C. and then Banff. Some more of the most beautiful roads I've ever driven on. The highlight was probably athabasca falls. Absolutely gorgeous waterfall that flows through a big canyon.

We also came across these guys:

We originally planned on camping in Two Jack outside of Banff, but it was full when we showed up so we had to stay in Tunnel Mountain. Not quite as quiet and secluded as I would have liked but it was out only option at that point. We ended up moving two days later because a group showed up that was there for all the wrong reasons and ended up getting evicted. Just idiots from Calgary who had no respect for anything or anyone. In the first hours of their arrival (which was at 11:30pm) they broke every single rule of the park. No campfires after 11, no cooking food after 11, quiet time after 11, no dogs off leash, no excessive vehicle idling at any time (they had no flashlights of lanterns with them so they parked their 3 trucks - escalade with a stupidly loud exhaust, silverado and a CR-V, with their engines idling with their headlights pointed toward the campsite so they could set up their brand new tents fresh from the packages. Again, this would be fine if they weren't already drunk on arrival and yelling at the top of their lungs. The straw that broke the camels back was when they let their daughter who couldn't have been older than 3 or 4 sleep in a little mesh princess tent all by herself after leaving their campsite covered in half eaten hot dogs, empty beer bottles and condiment bottles. This wouldn't have been a big deal if we hadn't just had a group of coyotes walk through our campsite the morning before and they had 4 black bear sightings on the campsite in the last two days. Needless to say, they got evicted and it took the wardens, two rangers and all the camp officials to evict them. I'm pretty sure the entire campsite was awake that night. We were just the lucky ones to be on the campsite beside them. We tried out best to not let this ruin the next day but it's hard when you only got a couple hours of sleep.

The next day was the only rainy day of the trip which happened to be a blessing because we really didn't have the energy to do anything anyways. We just hung around the campsite, ate, watched a couple movies and hit the hay early.

The next day we decided to take a trip up the Three Sisters Parkway. It's basically a service road that slowly goes up a mountain with a bunch of optional pull off trails along the way. Finally got to do bit of off roading!

The road were a little dry and dusty:

Ran into a ranger that we chatted with for a bit. He was amazed I was up there with the SX4 but loved what I did with it. He was in a modified power wagon decked out with light bars, winch, sliders. Not a bad rig for a ranger!

On the way back down we stopped and hiked Grassi Lakes which was, once again, absolutely beautiful.

After that it was off to meet my family in Canmore, Alberta for the "luxurious" part of the trip. I thought my RTT was pretty luxurious but apparently my girlfriend had other opinions on the matter. This was where the touristy part of the trips starts. We stayed in a really nice Condo, went spelunking in Rats Nest Cave (props to my dad for doing this at 65 years old!!). If anyone isn't claustrophobic, you have got to try spelunking. Our guide was really cool and ended up taking us all the way to the end of the caves and went WAY over our time limit and let us try some tight squeezes that first-time spelunkers probably shouldn't have been doing. We tipped him very graciously and we even talked with him after for another hour. It was refreshing to talk to a geologist that was so genuinely interested in his work. Just a little back info on Rats Nest Cave. It's an on-going unfinished cave, which means there are still many passage ways that have not been explored yet. It has a species of shrimp that lives at the very bottom in the 'grotto' that was just discovered a year ago and hasn't even been named yet. It's the only living thing that they've found in the cave thus far. It's 18 stories deep and 4km long. It's a protected cave so it's not open to the public. It was made by a glacier when alberta and B.C. was pushed together making the mountains. It was actually formed from the bottom up. It's apparently a very unique cave geologically which is why they got it protected and it's being studied all the time.

WagoneerSX4

Adventurer
The rest of the trip was golfing, eating a TON of alberta beef, and spending time with my family. The way home was uneventful. We got screwed over again the day of the ferry. This time it was fog. Someday I'll see get to see lake huron from the ferry!

See yah Rockies! Until next time...

Somewhere along the way home somebody tried to steal our mountain bikes. Luckily, they failed and couldn't cut through my chain. I'm just lucky my bikes didn't fall the rack on the way home. All of the crossbar straps were undone and all of my bungie chords were missing.

Kind of a crappy way to end the trip but you have to look on the bright side, at least I still have my bikes and nobody got a mountain bike through the windshield along the Trans-Canada!

But the best thing to come of this trip is my girlfriend's attitude completely changing. She went from dreading this trip to having the time of her life. She also went from hating bears and being terrified of them to being completely comfortable around them and respecting them. She has no added bears to her list of favourite animals along side elephants. It couldn't have gone any better than that for an introductory trip for her! Now I can start planning some off the beaten path trips for next time and be a little more adventurous!

unabashedpraise

Adventurer
Thanks for sharing. Sounds like it was a great time. I'm not sure about Saskatchewan, but it sounds a lot like the Midwest here on the states. Boring to drive through. However, I find the wide open spaces refreshing. I guess it just depends on how long the drive is. That, and I know there are mountains on the other side!

andysgreenxj

Observer
Grear trip report, thank you for sharing it with us! I'm originally from Vancouver myself, and dearly miss the Rockies, so I'm glad you got to enjoy them! Also good to hear that your lady has a more positive outlook on overlanding(now if I could just get my wifey to enjoy roughing it a lil more...lol)! I thouroghly enjoyed the read, as well as the pics...one I'd like to do a similar trip, but run as close to the Actic ocean as I can, and come back down through the Yukon, and Northwest Territories, into B.C., ending up on Vancouver Island.:ylsmoke:

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Fantastic trip thanks for sharing! Banff is on our list! Trying to convince the wife that a road trip would be a bigger adventure than a seat on a plane.

Any details on your trailer? I'm planning a stealth build for my dad as a long over due big gift from his two boys. We have lots of folks using the Harbor Freight trailers at our yacht club as small sailboat hauling/gear trailers and your bend issue is something I have heard about from other folks. I have noticed that the Experienced builders have all incorporated a heavy piece of "L" iorn that runs across the bottom edge of the frame rail to spread out the point load of the spring mounts. Seems to do the trick.

I have seen a couple of really clean solid PWC trailers locally for sale already set up with flat decks being sold in the $300-$400 range which I think I might grab one of those given they are bit more higher quality than the Harbor Freight rigs. Like most I'm all over the map on the box design ideas. Also my dad likes boats and today has down sized from a power boat to a Canoe which adds a bit of a complexity to the whole RTT vs racking a boat on the trailer.

WagoneerSX4

Adventurer
Great trip and report! Thanks for sharing!

No problem! This was just a trial run to ease my girlfriend into overlanding so I didn't keep a journal or anything. Next time I'm planning on doing a daily journal so I can remember everything we do each day. I know I left out some great experiences.

Thanks for sharing. Sounds like it was a great time. I'm not sure about Saskatchewan, but it sounds a lot like the Midwest here on the states. Boring to drive through. However, I find the wide open spaces refreshing. I guess it just depends on how long the drive is. That, and I know there are mountains on the other side!

You're right, I did like the wide open space. On our way west it was awesome weather (besides the head wind) with little tiny fluffy clouds as far as you could see. But on the way back it was overcast, spitting and foggy. At 110km/h it took us a solid 14hrs to get through the prairies until you start getting into the marshiness of Manitoba. That's a LONG day of driving right there.

Grear trip report, thank you for sharing it with us! I'm originally from Vancouver myself, and dearly miss the Rockies, so I'm glad you got to enjoy them! Also good to hear that your lady has a more positive outlook on overlanding(now if I could just get my wifey to enjoy roughing it a lil more...lol)! I thouroghly enjoyed the read, as well as the pics...one I'd like to do a similar trip, but run as close to the Actic ocean as I can, and come back down through the Yukon, and Northwest Territories, into B.C., ending up on Vancouver Island.:ylsmoke:

I'd LOVE to live out west. I was born on the wrong side of Canada. I was really happy to see how much my girlfriend enjoyed the trip. She's already asking me to plan another local camping trip and we've only been home for 3 days :)

When we go back west I plan on spending more time in B.C. and I would love to venture up north into the Yukon. But it was tough enough getting away from work for 3 weeks, I think if we planned a Yukon trip we'd need at least 4 weeks, and that would be a stretch.

Fantastic trip thanks for sharing! Banff is on our list! Trying to convince the wife that a road trip would be a bigger adventure than a seat on a plane.

Any details on your trailer? I'm planning a stealth build for my dad as a long over due big gift from his two boys. We have lots of folks using the Harbor Freight trailers at our yacht club as small sailboat hauling/gear trailers and your bend issue is something I have heard about from other folks. I have noticed that the Experienced builders have all incorporated a heavy piece of "L" iorn that runs across the bottom edge of the frame rail to spread out the point load of the spring mounts. Seems to do the trick.

I have seen a couple of really clean solid PWC trailers locally for sale already set up with flat decks being sold in the $300-$400 range which I think I might grab one of those given they are bit more higher quality than the Harbor Freight rigs. Like most I'm all over the map on the box design ideas. Also my dad likes boats and today has down sized from a power boat to a Canoe which adds a bit of a complexity to the whole RTT vs racking a boat on the trailer.

Exactly! I always choose driving over a plane ride when I can. Even if it takes me an extra day to get where I'm going and it's more expensive. I find you don't get a sense of how far you are from home when you take a plane. It's kind of cheating.

It's just a regular harbor freight frame with a 2200# axle and I converted it to double-eye springs from the slippers with 2000# spring packs with one leaf taken out. I also scrapped the crappy tongue that came with it and put on a 2" tongue that runs the length of the trailer so I could have a hitch on the back for my bike rack. This alone added a lot of strength to frame. On top is a pretty simple box I made from plywood framed with 2x2's. All the corners are reinforced with heavy steel brackets so it's plenty strong to handle my RTT. It's also got LED lighting 360deg around it as well as inside with a deep cycle house battery and a 800w inverter. We were in pretty covered campsites and I just put out the solar panels (40w x 2) and left them there and even with charging my laptop multiple times, our phones every night, and using the LED's, the battery never dropped below fully charged the entire trip. Other than that it's got a fold down table that we use as our kitchen, 20L gas can, 10L water, and a Rhino awning. I use it to haul my 20hp outboard (you can see the mount off the front) and my 12' inflatable boat.

If you can find a higher quality frame right out of the box I would definitely go with that. The harbor freight frames are really thin gauge metal. I just finished with the frame reinforcing today and this is what I came up with:

I used 3/16" thick aluminum for everything as I'm trying to cut down on weight. I used L angles on all four spring hangers (only the fronts were bending but I did the rears just to be safe). Then instead of using a longer drop bracket for the front I used a shorter hanger and square tubing that's bolted separately to the frame from the hangers. I think it'll be just the right amount of overkill while still keeping the weight down. I'm sure if I used steel I would have added 30lbs to the trailer. At least now I should never have to worry about it bending again... hopefully :)

Bushcoat

one trail at a time
Great report and pics! These pics have me itching to head back out west. I am glad you got to stay at k.b falls, its not a bad little park at all. We don't mind staying there for a night or two if we don't want to drive too far. We just got back to thunder bay from Ottawa(and dipped into new York) last week, I most certainly saw more moose and bears driving there and back than I've seen in a long time.

WagoneerSX4

Adventurer
I must have gotten lucky and went at the perfect time because everyone can't believe the wildlife we saw. When we were along the north shore of superior at dusk we spotted 9 moose and 3 black bears in a span of 2 hours. I have to say, we wouldn't have spotted half the animals we did without the help of the LED bars.

vicali

Adventurer
Haha, you were so close but then turned around! Come back and do BC proper; how 'bout Haida Gawai, Long beach, and then the Okanagan?

WagoneerSX4

Adventurer
Haha, you were so close but then turned around! Come back and do BC proper; how 'bout Haida Gawai, Long beach, and then the Okanagan?
Haha, I've done the western side of the Rockies before. We planned on just exploring the eastern side this time. But we just couldn't resist popping into B.C. for a day!

Actually we were planning on spending another 5-6 days in B.C. and going all the way to the coast but then my family decided to meet us in Banff and incorporate a family holiday into the trip so we had to cut down the B.C. time.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
No problem! This was just a trial run to ease my girlfriend into overlanding so I didn't keep a journal or anything. Next time I'm planning on doing a daily journal so I can remember everything we do each day. I know I left out some great experiences.

You're right, I did like the wide open space. On our way west it was awesome weather (besides the head wind) with little tiny fluffy clouds as far as you could see. But on the way back it was overcast, spitting and foggy. At 110km/h it took us a solid 14hrs to get through the prairies until you start getting into the marshiness of Manitoba. That's a LONG day of driving right there.

I'd LOVE to live out west. I was born on the wrong side of Canada. I was really happy to see how much my girlfriend enjoyed the trip. She's already asking me to plan another local camping trip and we've only been home for 3 days :)

When we go back west I plan on spending more time in B.C. and I would love to venture up north into the Yukon. But it was tough enough getting away from work for 3 weeks, I think if we planned a Yukon trip we'd need at least 4 weeks, and that would be a stretch.

Exactly! I always choose driving over a plane ride when I can. Even if it takes me an extra day to get where I'm going and it's more expensive. I find you don't get a sense of how far you are from home when you take a plane. It's kind of cheating.

It's just a regular harbor freight frame with a 2200# axle and I converted it to double-eye springs from the slippers with 2000# spring packs with one leaf taken out. I also scrapped the crappy tongue that came with it and put on a 2" tongue that runs the length of the trailer so I could have a hitch on the back for my bike rack. This alone added a lot of strength to frame. On top is a pretty simple box I made from plywood framed with 2x2's. All the corners are reinforced with heavy steel brackets so it's plenty strong to handle my RTT. It's also got LED lighting 360deg around it as well as inside with a deep cycle house battery and a 800w inverter. We were in pretty covered campsites and I just put out the solar panels (40w x 2) and left them there and even with charging my laptop multiple times, our phones every night, and using the LED's, the battery never dropped below fully charged the entire trip. Other than that it's got a fold down table that we use as our kitchen, 20L gas can, 10L water, and a Rhino awning. I use it to haul my 20hp outboard (you can see the mount off the front) and my 12' inflatable boat.

If you can find a higher quality frame right out of the box I would definitely go with that. The harbor freight frames are really thin gauge metal. I just finished with the frame reinforcing today and this is what I came up with:

I used 3/16" thick aluminum for everything as I'm trying to cut down on weight. I used L angles on all four spring hangers (only the fronts were bending but I did the rears just to be safe). Then instead of using a longer drop bracket for the front I used a shorter hanger and square tubing that's bolted separately to the frame from the hangers. I think it'll be just the right amount of overkill while still keeping the weight down. I'm sure if I used steel I would have added 30lbs to the trailer. At least now I should never have to worry about it bending again... hopefully :)

Thanks for the feedback your modification looks similar to what I've seen at the club I bet your good to go now. My wife and I have the original LifeTime Tent trailer and I just built a solar Generator set up which seems to cover our minimal needs. 18ah deep cycle motorcycle style battery in a 50caliber ammo box which has a cheap solar controller in it for a street lamp so the load and the charge is run through the controller load side is just a 20amp max lighting output on the controller set to be hot at all times, then wired to a simple 6 fuse fuse box which we power in total about 20ft of LED strip lighting. 1 ATV flood lamp and a simple 12v charging hub for the computer, camera, cell phones etc. The solar panels are two 10w Renogy hard panels which I simply stow in their boxes in the tongue box when not in use and just set out when were set up at camp etc.
So in the tent I have two 4foot led strips across the top of the privacy partition with a little switch, then outside I have a 3foot strip on the inside of the tongue box lid which when open lights up the hitch area and the front section of any campsite we might be setting up in the dark, then on the rear I have the ATV LED flood light on a key fob which I can trigger from the car if were backing up in the dark, Then a couple of small strips of LED lighting mounted on wood dowels which I velcro to the back of the tent and the step. Very basic all in probably around $250 in parts, plugs, wire fittings etc. So far its worked great. worst case use we might burn 8-9amps at night but by 1-2pm the two 10watt panels have us pretty much fully charged again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94