Box/Cube or Custom Bed Replacement Camper on Ranger Chassis?

PHeller

Adventurer
I'm curious how a custom bed-off camper build might go on a newer Duratec based Ford Ranger. These little trucks get pretty good fuel economy, are fairly reliable and easily repaired.

Part of my problem is I don't know what this type of camper is called? If its not a slide-in but uses a truck chassis, what is it?

attachment.php

brnatocean.jpg

attachment.php

attachment.php

reeferpickup.png

Kia_2900_refrigerated_truck_Medium.jpg

Utilitypass3.jpg

I've seen Chinook-like campers on Toyota pickups, but only rarely something that used the Ranger or S10 as the chassis.

In my case I wouldn't need all the camper fittings like a sink, toilet, etc. I'd basically just want a somewhat lightweight and aero box that could also be used in a similar manner to a van. I'm inspired by Bill McBride's Expedition G-Wagen. The box on his is narrow, somewhat taller than the cab, relatively lightweight and spartan interior. You can stand up in his, and his has a sink and countertops, something I wouldn't need.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Has anyone seen something similar done on a Ranger or S10 chassis?

Last edited:

PowerWagner

Explorer
I'm curious how a custom bed-off camper build might go on a newer Duratec based Ford Ranger. These little trucks get pretty good fuel economy, are fairly reliable and easily repaired.

Part of my problem is I don't know what this type of camper is called? If its not a slide-in but uses a truck chassis, what is it?

attachment.php

brnatocean.jpg

attachment.php

attachment.php

reeferpickup.png

Kia_2900_refrigerated_truck_Medium.jpg

Utilitypass3.jpg

I've seen Chinook-like campers on Toyota pickups, but only rarely something that used the Ranger or S10 as the chassis.

In my case I wouldn't need all the camper fittings like a sink, toilet, etc. I'd basically just want a somewhat lightweight and aero box that could also be used in a similar manner to a van. I'm inspired by Bill McBride's Expedition G-Wagen. The box on his is narrow, somewhat taller than the cab, relatively lightweight and spartan interior. You can stand up in his, and his has a sink and countertops, something I wouldn't need.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Has anyone seen something similar done on a Ranger or S10 chassis?

Serious **********!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94