JK trailer brake controler

HAFICON

Adventurer
Is there a Mopar play and play trailer brake controler? I have not seen one but looking to buy one I need to put brakes on my trailer.

Otherwise if you have one in your JK what do you recommend?

Thanks,
James

onetraveller

Adventurer
There is a plug and play 7 pin harness from Mopar, but no Mopar brake controller. The 7 pin harness has a wire that you route into the cab to be used with the controller of your choice.

Tekonsha (either the P2 or P3) seems to be the controller of choice for those who tow a lot.

Mike

comptiger5000

Adventurer
I run a Tekonsha Prodigy P3 in my ZJ and love it (and I've pulled stuff up to a 5k+ lb horse trailer with it). It's a great controller, easy to use and doesn't look out of place in the interior. I've used them in other vehicles as well and agree with a lot of the comments online that say it's one of the best.

HAFICON

Adventurer
Ok cool I am gonna look for that 7 pin, I really dont want to cut any wires, that just leads to issues later. Thanks alot.

ODchaser

I second the vote for a Prodigy P3 brake controller. It is a small, simple and functional controller. You will need this to control the brakes and will need a harness that will provide power to the brakes. I used the Mopar 7 pin you spoke of and am very happy with it. You will need to run a wire into the cab from the 7 pin harness, and connect it to the brake controller. Also, the brake controller requires you to tap into the brake light switch above the pedal. It is all simple and straightforward. Don't confuse the Mopar 7 pin tow harness with the Mopar 7 pin flat tow harness (which is used if you tow your Jeep via towbar, etc) Here is a link to both.

http://www.amazon.com/Tekonsha-9019...sim_263_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=0KZ5TYYBKZANE2P63TPC

http://www.amazon.com/Wrangler-7-Pin-TRAILER-WIRING-Mopar/dp/B0062MOG50

HAFICON

Adventurer
Local store has this guy on the shelf for same $17 dollars. Web site says it will work for trailer brakes. Not trying to go cheap I don't mind ordering the wiring harness just time is the issue now. Might do this as a get by and order the other kit.

gmwelder86

Adventurer
Got a p2 with the mopar harness. Harness went in pretty easy, instructions are lacking for routing instructions as everything is cut to exact length.

1stDeuce

Explorer
Your link didn't work, but the important thing in a trailer brake controller is to get one that is inertia based, not time ramp.

The cheap units are all time ramp based from what I've seen, which is a really bad way for a brake controller to work. The function like this: when the brake switch goes hot, the controller ramps up the trailer brakes at an adjustable rate to an adjustable max. That works great if every stop you make is exactly the same. But if you need to stop faster, you get no additional help, and if you want to just slow down a bit, you get the same help as for a normal stop, which may be too much. In a short time, you will be so annoyed with it that you'll either turn it off, or turn it down so low it's not really doing anything. Legal? Yes. Smart? No.

An inertia based controller, like the Prodigy, applies trailer brakes proportional to the decel rate of the vehicle. The faster you stop, the harder it applies the trailer brakes. The adjustments to make it near seamless are very easy to do, and with just a little attention, should result in your truck stopping like the trailer isn't even there, with no pushing, or jerking.

IMO, the biggest reason for needing trailer brakes when towing is during a panic stop. With a time ramp controller, the stop is about done before you get any trailer braking at all. With an inertia based controller like the Prodigy, trailer brakes come on instantly, and apply hard and I STOP. Please don't buy a $17 brake controller. :)

Chris

I'm also currently running a Prodigy, though I think it's a P1 or P2. It was a $40 craigslist controller and it works GREAT. I will never use anything else.

unkamonkey

Explorer
Tekonsas in both of my towing vehicles. Easy to install and work well. They have been in for years so I don't remember what model they are.
Neighbor had a time ramp controller on his Jeep to tow his boat. He thought it was great, I thought it was crap.

wADVr

Adventurer
Another recommendation here for the Prodigy P3. I ran that in my CTD on multiple trails, loaded and unloaded and really liked how easy it was to change settings to properly brake the various loads/trailers.

Mrknowitall

Adventurer
I had a voyager in the Tundra- it is inertia based, but a bit finicky to set up. The gain was a blind thumb wheel, which is a w#ore on a car hauler, where you need to adjust for load quite a bit. If you're only towing one trailer most of the time, however, it's a nice unit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior