2001 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins - Questions/Slow Build

rawlk

Observer
Hey All!

Little bit of background then I'll describe my truck. - I'm a 22 year old, fresh college grad that's about to head to the San Francisco area for a new job. A month or so ago my little '98 nissan frontier bit the dust on the highway and is now parked in the driveway in need of a new motor. Weighed my options and found this pickup on craigslist that seems to have been really well taken care of. I'm super stoked, its a lot bigger than my frontier but not so terribly large its overwhelming. Ended up using this to tow home my frontier from the shop across town, couldn't hardly feel it back there, it was great :D
2015-06-12%201_zpsbsn7oszw.jpg

I'd very much like this to be a build thread, but having just graduated, bought a new truck, and about to move to California, I'm a bit low on cash so that part of the project will probably be stretched out for a while.

I'll try and list everything the previous owners have done, but I keep coming across more (which is an awesome problem to have by the way), so I'll edit when I come across something new :)

2001 Dodge Ram 5.9L Cummins - SLT/Laramie
255K miles
Rebuilt Automatic Transmission (not sure which)
2" drop/shackles on the back
Engine has been partially dismantled and resealed with new gaskets. (in the photos, everything the previous owner 'touched' he painted red, kinda odd, but its a terrific way to keep track of things :p )
New Air/Vacuum pump
New aluminum radiator
HID lamps & reflectors/lenses
LED lights inside
EDGE Juice CTS <- I'm new to the world of diesels, but this thing is pretty sweet
Air Dog Lift pump
S&B Cool Air intake
4in MagnaFlow turbo-back
Newish set of 6Y Duralast batteries
IMG_20150621_190812_zpsr8vhygeq.jpg

So I do have several questions. I'm new to the world of large trucks and overlanding but am ready to dive in :) Any help or advice is greatly appreciated!
That lift pump. I can't find a whole lot of maintenance instructions for it. How often are the filter(s) supposed to be changed? It seems to be in a pretty standard location but it worries me it hangs so far below the frame, do many people move 'em?
IMG_20150621_191108_zpsgqccxdoi.jpg

What is the best way to clean up the rust spots and prevent the paint from getting worse? The roof is in relatively sad shape with surface rust/paint chips.

I have the factory shackles and overload springs for the back end, with a Leer 122 on the back, should I go ahead and toss 'em back on?

Last one for now.. SoCal seems to be pretty active... Anyone up in the bay area? Would anyone be willing to show me the ropes when I move out late July? :D

Thanks! It's been awesome getting to see everyone's builds and their adventures, always something I've wanted to get into but never thought I'd get the opportunity.

Rawlk

Last edited:

rawlk

Observer
Got a camper shell!

So a couple days ago I started browsing Craig's List again (dangerous) and I came across a guy that was selling a Leer 122. Picked it up for cheap! It doesn't fit perfectly but WOW, that is a LOT of room. Moving up from my 'japanese mini-truck' with a small leer cap to a full-sized pickup with this over-sized thing is... spacious :) Color doesn't match but atleast it's not maroon. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
IMG_20150618_202656_zpsobnbdstg.jpg

Picked it up and promptly drove a couple hundred miles. Got just over 19MPG. Not bad right? Doesn't seem to have affected my mileage at all
OH, also, its the 2wd model, not the 4x4

Rawlk

east_tn_81

Adventurer
Can't help you with the motor. I can tell you with rust if it is not to serious to get some rust converter on it a primer and some paint then clear coat. May not be a match but will stop the rust. If the paint on the cab is shot. Rattle can it what ever color you want. Good luck.

rawlk

Observer
fuel pressure gauge is mandatory. Upgrade the lift pump if you can afford to.

Got it covered! It has the Airdog hanging out under there now and right now I have a few gages up on the cts. Fuel Pressure, Speed, Trans Temp and Boost. :)

I can tell you with rust if it is not to serious to get some rust converter on it a primer and some paint then clear coat.

Cool, I'll certainly do that! I haven't heard of rust converters before. I'll take a look.

Simons

Adventurer
That low hanging fuel filter is no biggie for cruising asphalt but looks like a terrible place for off pavement. Gravel flying off the front tire hitting it, due to the trucks low break over angle you risk casing it on dunes or cresting small dirt hills, or driving over downed branches etc...

Rbertalotto

Explorer
Joining the "Turbo Diesel Registry" is mandatory! Get the magazine. It is invaluable when owning an older Dodge diesel.

Get a Geno's Garage catalog (comes with the magazine subscription......)

Great truck! You're gonna love it!

rawlk

Observer
@Simmons - Yeah, thats kindof what I was thinking. Theres not a whole lot of slack with the fuel line so it might get replaced if I end up getting to move it. The only thing I found on it was this cummins forum post -> here . TLDR: Can't mount 'em sideways :( makes sense I guess,
Maybe I'll put a brace or a plate of some sort out infront of it to catch any debris and protect it a bit, dont plan on doing any heavy offroading yet, but I'd be nice to have the option :)

@Rbertalotto - haven't heard from those, I'll take a look!

CatButt

Observer
There is room behind the cab on the outside of the frame rail tucked up high. If done right it will sit just level with the bottom of the frame. Get some new fuel line and move it there.

rawlk

Observer
Heyall, so another question. My fuel gauge is faulty. I've read a lot of other posts on 'em, but usually the gauge is non-functional or its spotty or something of the like... Mine is simply way 'off'. Empty is 1 tick past half, but the needle is in the place, just not using the whole gauge.... Should I be looking for a loose wire somewhere/bad gauge or should I take a look at doing the sender mod/kit on the tank? :/
Hopefully videos embed well :)
[video]http://vid304.photobucket.com/albums/nn178/rawlk/Ram/VID_20150616_193739_zpsbkgfsukx.mp4[/video]

Thanks

rawlk

Observer
Got a brush guard!
Found it listed out on Craig's List not too far from home. Decided to pick it up. Apparently the guy had the same truck as mine and ended up selling it before he could put this guard on. Works for me!
20150702_182756_zpskqaswfwn.jpg

Spent about 2 hours with a buffing wheel and some compound and it cleaned up pretty well!
IMG_20150703_170337_zpsx1voinbv.jpg

After that ominous drilling through the bumper with a 1/2" bit, I got it mounted. I think it looks pretty good!
2015-07-04_zpsrqz0bf2l.jpg

Next on the list is either a solar panel or some steps/hoops.

mib1392

Observer
Hi,
for your safety and the guys on the highway with you: clean the hood latch, and put some fresh grease on it. You don't want to have what we had just before crossing into Baja, on Dec 23rd... the hinges bent, but the windshield still intact, and luckily we were the only one on the highway. Could have been a not-so-nice Christmas.
Get a CTEK Dual for your planned solar and a 2nd battery.
And think about a steering brace (best ones seem to be from DOR, I have that and it stabilizes a lot), and check how loose the steering is in the other components (trackbar bushings? I have a Luke's link replacement, this is good stuff for near-stock Dodges).
And buy some dark towels, the white ones get dirty so quickly when you hang them on that silver towel rack at the headlights to dry :sombrero:

We're on the SF peninsula with a 1999 CTD (and a Fourwheelcamper). Come to the South Bay Meetups once you're here.
PM me if you're interested in some steps. I have some in the garage that I no longer need (never made it to be mounted... and probably never will).

Best,
Michael

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Hi,
for your safety and the guys on the highway with you: clean the hood latch, and put some fresh grease on it. You don't want to have what we had just before crossing into Baja, on Dec 23rd... the hinges bent, but the windshield still intact, and luckily we were the only one on the highway. Could have been a not-so-nice Christmas.
Get a CTEK Dual for your planned solar and a 2nd battery.
And think about a steering brace (best ones seem to be from DOR, I have that and it stabilizes a lot), and check how loose the steering is in the other components (trackbar bushings? I have a Luke's link replacement, this is good stuff for near-stock Dodges).
And buy some dark towels, the white ones get dirty so quickly when you hang them on that silver towel rack at the headlights to dry :sombrero:

We're on the SF peninsula with a 1999 CTD (and a Fourwheelcamper). Come to the South Bay Meetups once you're here.
PM me if you're interested in some steps. I have some in the garage that I no longer need (never made it to be mounted... and probably never will).

Best,
Michael

Looks like a 2wd. No brace needed to my knowledge.

rawlk

Observer
@regcabguy: You're correct. It is the 2WD version. Wasn't super bummed since I figured I wouldn't be doing too much offroading yet.

@mib1392: With the bumper going on and the fresh purchase I've opened that hood a lot lately. I'll make sure it's well tended :) Had a friend a long time back that lost a firebird hood the same way, came unlatched and smashed the windshield>.> the guy ended up leaving the hood on the side of the road to get home. What a loss

On the steering brace, is that only for the 4wd models? It does feel super loose and It'd be terrific to tighten up a bit but most of what I've been able to find is suggestions to replace the whole powersteering unit :/ I've got a bad suspension squeak that may or may not be related, tried to grease it up but I haven't hit the target yet apparently

Awesome! I'd love to join the group as soon as I make it out there. I plan to make my trip round the 18th

Thanks all :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles