Home brewed folding rear motorcycle carrier

Motafinga

Adventurer
Just wanted to share my relatively cheap/simple solution to having a way to carry my enduro bike on the back of my camper rig.
I wanted to solve many issues I've experienced with hauling a bike with my rig such as:

*I fricken HATE dealing with a trailer! Slow speed limit, Slow lane, Storing a trailer, major loss of maneuverability and the list goes on..
*Standard carrier puts the bike to close to rear of truck blocking the entrance of the camper
*Standard carrier is in a fixed position that limits your angle of approach unless you pull it off
*Standard carrier is quite wobbly from side to side if you get into anything goaty off road
*Standard carrier doesn't make the getting in and out of the camper exactly easy especially after a few beers, unless you pull it off and stash it aside!
*I wanted something acts as a built in porch / step on the back of the rig
Anyways you get the idea.
So..I figured I'd take a shot at making something that solves the above grievances.

I started with this>>
cheap basket type folding cargo carrier

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-06-22 at 1.56.43 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2015-06-22 at 1.56.43 PM.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 56

Motafinga

Adventurer
These pics are showing version 1 and what I ended up with on my old rig.. more detailed pics coming soon
And yes the bike is just far away enough to access the camper while loaded on the carrier

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-06-22 at 2.10.26 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2015-06-22 at 2.10.26 PM.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 76
  • Screen Shot 2015-06-22 at 2.09.23 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2015-06-22 at 2.09.23 PM.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 68
  • Screen Shot 2015-06-22 at 2.18.39 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2015-06-22 at 2.18.39 PM.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 61

tonkaman

Adventurer
Looks like a pretty slick solution. So you just added the outriggers for tie down points and bolted on a wheel chock?

Motafinga

Adventurer
I didn't think to take any build in process pics since I hadn't discovered this forum at the time, but here's a few more detailed shots of what I ended up with after more fine tuning for strength and usability.

The carrier is about 12 inches too narrow to handle the bikes wheel base so used a wood plank which I framed in angle iron as a platform for the bike.
I then added a wheel chock on one end. The handle bars strap down to the eye hooks.
To increase strength and stability I welded gussets ala angle iron in the middle of the carrier and I also added a second strut that slides into a second receiver u bolted to the trucks hitch and a turn buckle on the other side to tighten everything up and take out any slop. The strut is a bolt action type thing that slides out and stashes in the truck when the carrier is folded.
I also made a folding step/bridge that fills in the gap between the bumper and carrier.
After getting the Alaskan I had to reverse the direction of the bike since the door opens the opposite way so I just flipped everything to the other side.
The completed carrier is super strong and you can even put a street bike on it.
I added trailer lights that plug into the trucks existing plug and also a back-up cam that pivots to be usable in either position.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-06-22 at 2.42.36 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2015-06-22 at 2.42.36 PM.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 64
  • Screen Shot 2015-06-22 at 2.43.07 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2015-06-22 at 2.43.07 PM.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 75
  • Screen Shot 2015-06-22 at 2.43.58 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2015-06-22 at 2.43.58 PM.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 56

hansrober

Adventurer
I like it! I dig the way it kind of adds a small porch to the back of your camper. The backup cam I am sure is super handy. What do you think it weighs?

Motafinga

Adventurer
I like it! I dig the way it kind of adds a small porch to the back of your camper. The backup cam I am sure is super handy. What do you think it weighs?

Thank you sir, with all the reinforcing it's about 80-100 pounds. Yeah the porch/step function was important for us and our dogs to be able to easily access the camper without fumbling over a typical moto carrier. Back up cam is waaaay key too!

OVRLND

Adventurer, Overland Certified OC0017
Great idea.
I like that it can stay on when not in use as an MC carrier, but still be out of the way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior