OneGreatAdventure.net - Alaska to Antartica - Kerstin and Jeepie

kerfro

Hi everyone,

My name is Kerstin and I am currently on the road from (Vancouver to) Alaska to Antartica in my 2000 Jeep TJ. Yes, it's just me and Jeepie R. Sparklez.

route.jpg

We started camping on board the ferry/Alaska Marine Highway System from Bellingham, WA to Juneau, AK and have visited many great places already: Juneau, Kodiak, Homer, Seward, Anchorage, Palmer, Valdez, McCarthy & Kennicott, Fairbanks, Coldfoot, Deadhorse, Coldfoot (again), Chicken, Dawson, Whitehorse, Liard. Currently, we are in Fort Nelson, BC and plan on going to the Canadian Rockies, then Vancouver and down the US coast. After that Baja and down, down, down all the way to Ushuaia where I will catch a boat to visit Antarctica.

I am trying to be an adventuress and write about it at the same time and you can find my page here: OneGreatAdventure.net. Unfortunately, I am still in Homer according to the blog :)

IMG_5681.jpg

Jeepie is small but a little camping machine as she has got a second battery and a solar panel and a fridge and outlets to charge all my gadgets. She also has soft-top and a security deck and dreams of being pink with sparkles. But I told her that she will have to be patient as a pink-and-sparkly vehicle would be slightly too stuttle to drive the Pan-American Highway (If she makes it to Europe - maybe). She also dreams of a roof top tent and I might give into her whining there. Her highlights so far were the Dalton Highway and the Alaska Highway. She disliked the border between Chicken and Dawson as she got strip searched.

Jeepie on the Dalton Highway.jpg

I asked some uninformed questions on the forum once or twice so thank you everyone who has helped me get her outfitted right. It would be great to connect with any travellers and nice people on the road.

Last edited:

Septu

Explorer
Was a pretty good weekend. Enjoy the trip! Can't wait to see more photos! (hint... that means you need to take more photo's!!) :D :D

Zeeri

Thanks for the visit! And inspiration! Safe travels! I will be following along! I hope you found Staples ok!

rkburris84

North American Overlander
Question, I've always wanted to do the entirety of the Pan-American Highway, which I've already done from Fairbanks to Dallas, but how do you plan on transversing through the Darien Gap at the Panamanian-Colombian border? I've always heard that it is risky/dangerous/difficult. That has been the deterrent for me.

Septu

Explorer
Question, I've always wanted to do the entirety of the Pan-American Highway, which I've already done from Fairbanks to Dallas, but how do you plan on transversing through the Darien Gap at the Panamanian-Colombian border? I've always heard that it is risky/dangerous/difficult. That has been the deterrent for me.

It's currently unpassable over land. Everyone (and I mean everyone) ships or ferries their vehicles around it.

Thanks everyone! I will try to take more photos and update both here and on the blog more frequently.

Regarding the Darian Gap: I will be shipping around it but it would sure be fun to have an expedition through it: http://youtu.be/QrPbBkr44PU

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

digitaldelay

Explorer
Have a great trip!

c37bdb8d6b85891d48cd53e75f99049d.jpg

Jason

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier