GovPlanet 5 ton trucks

1stDeuce

Explorer
I hope the A2 trucks are not the "old 5-tons" that you are referring to. (A2's have super singles, not duals, and since the tires are taller, and they're turbocharged, they are quite a bit faster than the old N/A 250 Cummins 5-tons.)

I suppose it could be true that when fully loaded, the lower gears of the LMTV's allow for governed speed to be reached more easily, while a A2 5-ton might not be able to get to the governor... But lightly loaded, the A2 will outrun an LMTV, and get better mileage doing it.

Perhaps we should start a crowdfunding site to purchase both and do a legit head to head real world comparison of the two... I'd need a HEMTT as a support vehicle, I'm sure... $30k ought to do it. :)

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
I hope the A2 trucks are not the "old 5-tons" that you are referring to. (A2's have super singles, not duals, and since the tires are taller, and they're turbocharged, they are quite a bit faster than the old N/A 250 Cummins 5-tons.)

I suppose it could be true that when fully loaded, the lower gears of the LMTV's allow for governed speed to be reached more easily, while a A2 5-ton might not be able to get to the governor... But lightly loaded, the A2 will outrun an LMTV, and get better mileage doing it.

Perhaps we should start a crowdfunding site to purchase both and do a legit head to head real world comparison of the two... I'd need a HEMTT as a support vehicle, I'm sure... $30k ought to do it. :)

Still incorrect. The 5 tons were actually empty and still couldn't catch the lmtvs. The 900 series have 240 horsepower and the lmtv/fmtvs have 275.

evilram

I have an m35a2 (5 ton drop side cargo truck). It's great fun, and if you try, it'll power slide through an icy parking lot pretty well.

Have driven it on many hundred mile or so trips, and one long trip (Minnesota- CO, pulling my dodge dually the whole time). It was great.

It is slow, and for an RV, it isn't as comfortable, even with the added comforts I've put into it. But, as an offroad capable RV, it's a great budget way to go.

I would suggest though, try to find one with an expansible box already on it. It'll save you tons of time in building the camper/RV portion.

I'm not sure how fast this would be against anything, but I'd say it's annoyingly slow up hills. Also, I never checked gas mileage. Kind of felt like it was counting calories of a milkshake. Not a lot of point.

1stDeuce

Explorer
Sign up. I think there's a short approval. And possibly a cap for new bidders. Their site has all the info you need.

Trailboss

Senior Curmudgeon
I have an m35a2 (5 ton drop side cargo truck)....

I think you need to check the dash data plate again.

The M35a2 is a 2.5 ton cargo truck (deuce-and-a-half) from the '60s-'80s, and if it has drop sides, it is a M35a2C. They have multi-fuel engines and top speeds are about 50 mph.

The M35A3 from the '90s has auto trans, Cat 3116 diesel engine, singled tires and drop sides.

The 809-series 5-ton cargo trucks from the '60s-'70s would be M813, M813A1 (drop side), or M814. Cummins 240 (aka 855 Cummins in civilian trucks) diesel engine, top speed 48-55mph.

The 939-series basic version 5-ton cargo trucks from the '80s would be M923, M925, M927, M928 with the same 240 Cummins, drop sides, dual 11.00x20 tires and auto trans.
If the trucks have the 240 Cummins, auto trans and singled 14.00x20 tires, they are the A1 versions.
If the trucks have the 8.3L Cummins w/turbo, auto trans, singled 14.00x20 tires, they are the A2 versions built from around '89-'92. These can easily hit 65mph.

Last edited:

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Good info to know Trailboss. Could you post some pics of these trucks? It would be cool to visualy identify the different types. Cheers, Chilli...:):)

Trailboss

Senior Curmudgeon
The Operator Technical Manuals for the different series of trucks have drawings of the different models within the series.

M35A2 2.5-ton models (actually called the M44 series trucks) start at page 20 https://www.nsncenter.com/Library/TM/TM-9-2320-209-10-1?PageNumber=20

The 809 series of 5-tons start at page 16 https://www.nsncenter.com/Library/TM/TM-9-2320-260-10?PageNumber=16

The 939 series of 5-tons start at page 18 https://www.nsncenter.com/Library/TM/TM-9-2320-272-10?PageNumber=018

Since some mentioned the LMTV (Light Medium Tactical Vehicles) and MTV (Medium Tactical Vehicles), and they are now being surplused by the Gov't.:
M1083 Series MTV 5-ton trucks https://www.nsncenter.com/Library/TM/TM-9-2320-366-10-1?PageNumber=067

M1078 Series LMTV 2.5-ton trucks https://www.nsncenter.com/Library/TM/TM-9-2320-365-10?PageNumber=49

Last edited:

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
Coming back from annual training one year I checked the MPG on the LMTV I was in and an up armored HMMWV. I believe the LMTV got 9MPG and the hummer got 13. This was at 55mph convoy speed.

The LMTV's are way more comfy to ride in than a hummer, no experience with the old trucks.

Overwater

I purchased several trucks from govliquidation.com, which I guess was the predecessor to the site you are referring to. Auctions require strategy. I purchased 3 running M35A2's and drove them off the base. I paid between $1,200 and $1,600 for each of them. The one for $1,400 had a winch and all three are running happily 3 years later. In my state the 2.5 ton did not require commercial license to drive but the 5 tons did. If you are resourceful the parts are dirt cheap, if you aren't, then you're stuck paying the prices boyceequipment, etc. charge.

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
I purchased several trucks from govliquidation.com, which I guess was the predecessor to the site you are referring to. Auctions require strategy. I purchased 3 running M35A2's and drove them off the base. I paid between $1,200 and $1,600 for each of them. The one for $1,400 had a winch and all three are running happily 3 years later. In my state the 2.5 ton did not require commercial license to drive but the 5 tons did. If you are resourceful the parts are dirt cheap, if you aren't, then you're stuck paying the prices boyceequipment, etc. charge.

Good info Overwater. I might have to hire you to get a truck for me as I am Canadian..:wings:

TwinStick

Explorer
For the life of me, i can't figure out why the US ARMY would NOT demand the ability to lock all the axles if need be. That's what makes the Tatra, Kamaz, Unimogs, Zetros , Maz, Ural, etc... such good vehicles. When **** gets bad, the ability to have TRUE all wheel drive, can many times, make all the difference in the world. Also one of the reasons we own a Power Wagon.

I am an old 64C, Motor Transport Operator, US Army. I did all my time in Kaiserslautern Germany. I got to see many of these vehicles & see them in action during joint military exercises.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles