GovPlanet 5 ton trucks

Does anyone know anything about this surpluser? They appear to have some very nice inventory for reasonable prices - a low mileage low corrosion MTV which 99% works for less than $9K. I know you'd spend more than that with an upfitter doing detailing, paint, insulation, fixing stuff but it beats the price of a new one by about $100K. It would make a great base for a big camper.

Charlie

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
Does anyone know anything about this surpluser? They appear to have some very nice inventory for reasonable prices - a low mileage low corrosion MTV which 99% works for less than $9K. I know you'd spend more than that with an upfitter doing detailing, paint, insulation, fixing stuff but it beats the price of a new one by about $100K. It would make a great base for a big camper.

Charlie

Govplanet is an auction site. It replaced gov liquidation. The prices you see on the site are the starting auction price. Check out steel soldiers.

"The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized."

loudboy

Observer
Like ToyLandCruiser mentioned, that is an auction site. The last iteration had some pretty bad reviews for supposedly using ringers during the auction to drive up prices. Also, all the vehicles I saw the other day on there were "off-road use only", meaning they dont have a title. I have no idea how hard it would be to title and register such a thing, but I imagine it would be a PITA.

red EOD veteran

Adventurer
Getting the title is easy, receive the paperwork that is provided from the auction (SF97 and EUC where applicable) and take that to your DMV. Many of these trucks have been bought by civilians and are street legal. the 5 tons and the older 2 1/2 ton trucks are not "off road only", the humvee is the main one that is listed that way.

Guessing you're looking at the M934, the 5 ton truck with the large camper (command center or storage shelter) on the back of it? Great trucks, large trucks but are setup well for their size. They are a medium duty chassis. check out www.steelsoldiers.com and read many of the threads in these 4 sections:
The Deuce
Deuce Modification and Hot Rodding
5 Ton and Up
5 ton Mods and Hot Rodding

The shelter on the back of the M934 is 17ft long and 8ft wide when closed. both sides expand 3ft for their entire length, bringing your expanded width to 14ft.

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
I think he is talking about the newer "cab over engine" style trucks - based on the Austrian Steyr trucks - but built for the US army by Stewart and Stevenson (sp?) with a Cat engine and Allison tranny. They are referred to as LMTV (4x4) and MTV (6x6).

The expanding shelters look great but I hear they weigh a ton? Any idea of what your weighs?

red EOD veteran

Adventurer
My deuce weighs 13,720 pounds with tools, spare parts (engine belts, wheel bearings, fluids...), The 395x85x20 tires, and about 30 gallons of fuel in the tank. I'll lose 200 pounds when the new engine goes in. Was getting 10-12mpg on the highway cruising at 55-58mph with the old multifuel engine.

the 5 ton cargo truck weighs a little over 18,000 pounds, the M934 5ton with the shelter is up around 23,000 pounds if I remember right. The 5 ton is not light and gets worse fuel economy than the deuce, but has it's benefits. For those not aware the cargo rating is the legal offroad weight capacity. 5 tons offroad, 10 tons on the highway. The deuce and a half is 2.5 tons offroad, 5 tons on the highway.

The LMTV we had on the demolition range had some nice upgrades over the deuce and a half it replaced. LMTV required alot more maintenance though.

6gun

No LMTV!

As a retired motor sergeant with over 18yrs in the motor pool I have to say the LMTV and MTV was by far the biggest piece of CRAP the Army ever graced us with. Nothing particular just constant little crap.

On second thought I did replace quite a few cab tilting mechanisms (pumps, rams, etc) Good luck with your purchase!

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
As a retired motor sergeant with over 18yrs in the motor pool I have to say the LMTV and MTV was by far the biggest piece of CRAP the Army ever graced us with. Nothing particular just constant little crap.

On second thought I did replace quite a few cab tilting mechanisms (pumps, rams, etc) Good luck with your purchase!

Interesting. I was in a maintenance company and had quite a few friends that worked in csms and they all tell me how good the trucks are.

"The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized."

dmstcdan

Observer
The cat engine in LMTVs are garbage. Take a look at resale prices of civilian trucks with the same motor. You wull notice that they go for sometimes half the price. That motor is junk. If you are a really good mechanic and really like the truck go for it.

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
The cat engine in LMTVs are garbage. Take a look at resale prices of civilian trucks with the same motor. You wull notice that they go for sometimes half the price. That motor is junk. If you are a really good mechanic and really like the truck go for it.

Disagree. You're thinking of he motor I. The m35a3. The motor in the lmtv is a totally different motor and a very good motor.

grndZr0

I also think the cat engine in the LMTV is awesome. I have also seen these trucks around recently for less than $20k.

I ran mine completely out of water 2 times do to a bad water pump gasket, and not having to parts to repair it properly. They were both in compat zones, in over 100deg F with wayyy more weight than it was designed to carry (riding on the rear bump stops.)

Drove for over an hour at 60MPH with no water in the engine....

Finally stopped when i pulled into the fob.

Changed the water pump gasket and drove it home the next day. Ran it another 6 months with no issues until we left.

Ryan

Amphibeast

Adventurer
How about some feedback from LMTV owners on their expirence on vehicles they own???? I love this platform & size.

I would take the 6x6 to opt the 330hp over the 275hp (4x4), ditch the rear axle & title as the 2.5 to avoid the CDL issue on those......

LMTV owners please chime in here!!!!!

I think these are going to be a go-to vehicle for the big truck overland guys... very global on current parts as well... cummings & allison!

1stDeuce

Explorer
Please, if you're talking about diesel engines, it's "Cummins", NOT Cummings. And the LMTV trucks use Caterpillar engines anyway. :)

I miss my old deuce, but if I'm fortunate enough to own another military truck, it'll likely be an A2 5 ton. The newer Stewart and Stevenson LMTV trucks have a fairly low (58mph) top speed, while a stock A2 5-ton will run 65mph on the governor. They also have a lot of electronics that you have to take directly to Cat or Allison for diagnostics. The do drive nice though. :)

You can re-gear the LMTV with gears from an MRAP if you can find them, but it's not terribly cheap anymore, and a bit of work...

None of these trucks are really suitable for overlanding, IMO. They are really big, parts are actually not that easy to find once you're outside the US, and fuel mileage is pretty horrible, particularly on the LMTV's. :(

Speaking of not suitable for overlanding, I see Gov Planet has lowered the price on HEMTT's... Starting for a cargo with crane M985 is only $7k. That's a LOT of truck for the buck!! :)

When I worked at Oshkosh Truck, I drove HEMMT's quite a bit. REALLY easy to drive, and extremely capable. And very useful with the crane! No lockers, but the rear axles have LSD's in them, and with CTIS, they'll pretty much keep up with a tank offroad. (The army's mobility mark...) And they'll run 60mph down the highway. A little faster on a good day. :)
My favorite video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0Vyq--p89A
Chris

Last edited:

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
Please, if you're talking about diesel engines, it's "Cummins", NOT Cummings. And the LMTV trucks use Caterpillar engines anyway. :)

I miss my old deuce, but if I'm fortunate enough to own another military truck, it'll likely be an A2 5 ton. The newer Stewart and Stevenson LMTV trucks have a fairly low (58mph) top speed, while a stock A2 5-ton will run 65mph on the governor. They also have a lot of electronics that you have to take directly to Cat or Allison for diagnostics. The do drive nice though. :)

You can re-gear the LMTV with gears from an MRAP if you can find them, but it's not terribly cheap anymore, and a bit of work...

None of these trucks are really suitable for overlanding, IMO. They are really big, parts are actually not that easy to find once you're outside the US, and fuel mileage is pretty horrible, particularly on the LMTV's. :(

Speaking of not suitable for overlanding, I see Gov Planet has lowered the price on HEMTT's... Starting for a cargo with crane M985 is only $7k. That's a LOT of truck for the buck!! :)

When I worked at Oshkosh Truck, I drove HEMMT's quite a bit. REALLY easy to drive, and extremely capable. And very useful with the crane! No lockers, but the rear axles have LSD's in them, and with CTIS, they'll pretty much keep up with a tank offroad. (The army's mobility mark...) And they'll run 60mph down the highway. A little faster on a good day. :)
My favorite video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0Vyq--p89A
Chris

Actually the lmtvs and fmtvs are a lot faster than the old 5 tons. When we would convoy, we always Ahmad to wait for the 5 tons to catch up. I've had an lmtv over 60 and I live at 5000 feet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles