How do you organize your storage solution?

jay3253

Adventurer
I am packing right now for a short trip to Colorado and was wondering how everyone organizes their storage. Like all fire starting stuff together or not. All kitchen stuff together of course but what about dry food? If there has been a thread for this already just link to it but I couldn't find any.

rayra

Expedition Leader
I pretty much have stuff bagged up by task, with the idea that I just need to grab one bag when I'm doing something. All my recovery gear in a bag. Tire change / repair stuff in a bag. Toolkit in a bag. Power stuff in a bag. 1 gallon freezer ziplocs are good for organizing a lot of small stuff in a sturdy enough bag such that you can see what's in it without having to dig in it. Same goes for a backpack.The bigger stuff I've used those re-useable grocery bags. Different colors for different things. 1st aid in a red bag. Tire stuff in a black. Recovery gear in a yellow. A couple months ago I bought several small zippered canvas toolbags from Harbor Freight, to store stuff in when I build my storage drawer / platform. I'll either color-code the handles or just write right on them with a light-color sharpie.
http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...r-of-good-sale-on-Tool-Bags-at-Harbor-Freight

In the meantime I have most of my gear wedged in a Sterlite 'footlocker' bin.

Happy Joe

Apprentice Geezer
Food items that don't require refrigeration I normally put into ammo cans (moderately critter resistant).
Bulk foods like rice/pasta peanuts trail mix etc. often goes into square plastic jars with labeled lids and they go into the ammo cans.
Bread gets double bread bagged (keeps longer) and placed in an ammo can normally on top of cookies or canned goods.
I gave up on deep tubs years ago, went to Wal-Mart plastic ghetto furniture/drawers then to shallow plastic tubs by staying shallow its way easier to find the things that you want that otherwise are at the bottom of a deep tub.
Sleeping bags and bedding get put into military surplus wet weather bags (there is little that is more uncomfortable than a wet sleeping bag in cold weather).
Clothing gets put into individual, by user, duffels.
Things like tarps, duct tape, bulk Velcro one-wrap, bulk cordage etc. get placed into a canvass quartermaster's bag.
Things like tent/canopy stakes get their own bag which includes a hammer.
Fold up chairs & tables are normally carried in their own/OEM bags.

Enjoy!

Binksman

Observer
We organize by task and storage.
Tents, tarps, sleeping gear, and air pump in one large truck box in the front of the bed.
Tools, recovery gear, and tackle box in one truck box over the wheel wells for easy access on the side of the road if need be.
Folding chairs and bike helmets in one truck box at the tailgate for easy access during rest stops.

All kitchen gear and paper goods are in a large plastic tote.
A smaller mathcing plastic tote holds dry foods.
Required cooler for frozen and cold foods.
All three of these fit nicely on top of one of the truck boxes and are strapped down.

Propane tank and water jug wherever they fit.
Fishing poles, etc. go under the boxes on the bed floor.

It's been working pretty well this way. The wife and even the kids can get to anything I ask without too much trouble.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior