98 Tacoma ExCab TRD veeeeerrrry slow, mild build

gofargogo

Hi! I've been lurking for a bit, waiting on the day when I could finally get a decent ExPo candidate. I really wanted a toyota even though I've never owned one. I'd been admiring them from afar since Back to the Future came out. I just picked this truck up 2 days ago, it's a 1998 Tacoma extended cab TRD, 3.4 with a 5 speed with 160k. I bought it from the original owner who was downsizing his fleet. It was a great price, even given it's condition as it's a little rough around the edges. Clearly it's been used as it should be, but I'm hoping to clean it up a little and start taking it on new adventures. In the meantime, I've started trying to familiarize myself with practical realities of owning and maintaining a 1st gen tacoma. Next week I'll give it a 30k service, just so I have a good baseline to start with.

I do have a question about the SR5 desgination: My tailgate says SR5, and it's my understanding that meant it was an upgraded trim level. But was it a consistent trim level? I ask because, while I have power windows and doorlocks (kind of..), the mirrors are manual, there's no clock, and I don't think there's ABS.

My future plans are:
  • New muffler (something quiet)
  • New rear bumper with hitch
  • 15" spare tire rims powdercoated white
  • sleeping platform/camper shell buildout
  • Better offroad lighting
  • New suspension

And all threads are useless without pics so here are mine..
DSC_3519-L.jpg

DSC_3521-L.jpg

DSC_3522-L.jpg

gofargogo

It's got some surface rust. I crawled around under it and banged on the frame members when I bought it. I think it's good. I'll be pulling the bed and recoating the frame before this winter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles