Why aren't ute or tray back style campers more prevalent in the US?

WILLD420

Observer
You could probably answer this by asking the reverse question. Why are there so few slide in campers in Australia. In Australia the % of well backed Utes compared to tray backs is probably 1%. Tray backs are easy to get and take a lot more abuse than the well backs. Given the number of tray backs I would expect to see people using them and developing campers to suit them.

Also you will find a lot of those Utes will have a removable camper on the tray. Most are used as work trucks or daily drivers.

Then there is the fact that Australia is a small market so a lot of stuff either is imported or not available. You get used to building to suit your own needs. We have been doing that for generations.

Now there is some truth in the amount of vacation. I used to get 6 weeks a year with an extra 13 weeks after 8 years of service. That's about as good as you could get when I left. Everybody starts on 4 weeks a year and 13 weeks after 10 years (I think it's 10 don't quote me on that one). Most people also get a pay increase of 21% for their vacation time (leave loading).

This does enable people to do more.

Holy cow. I'm happy to be able to take 3 weeks off in a year and I NEVER get to take them all at once. If I can get 10 days in a row off work including weekends it's a really rare thing. I've got family that only gets 1/2 a day per week off work. Granted the pay is nice, but I gave up doing that sort of thing when I walked away from agriculture for a lifestyle.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Diesel 4x4 + flatbed + custom camper = WIN :sombrero:

Why flatbed are not more popular is a good question.

Though in many areas there is VERY good reason.
Some places, like California have defined any pickup non-standard pickup box as a commercial rig.

Not in Idaho. So here I go.

Camper is completely custom, about $7 invested so far.
Truck is pretty modified now, still less than $10k invested.
Short list includes Custom flatbed on 3-point pivot mount, SAS swap, 1-ton suspension.
As shown, weighing right at 10k lbs, I routinely average 15-17MPG

If you find a better, more efficient, cheaper way to do it, do it and post pics. 'Cause I dont think it can happen:snorkel:

chassis308.jpg

srileo

I love flatbeds and i have wanted one pretty badly for several reasons. I have a Titan with Hawk on my slide-in.
In researching flatbeds I find the costs are a bit prohibhitive right now. $6k installed for a UTE, and then FWC flatbed is another $6k or so premium compared to equivalent slide-in model. So, for a total of $14k you are almost paying the price of an extra camper. Not affordable for me, but for my next camper, I'll price out the numbers again and see if it makes sense. I do love the extra space and the side entrance.

tacollie

Glamper
We got rear ended in our Tacoma this weekend. Luckily no people or dogs were hurt. The Flippac seems fine. We slept in it that night. The bed and very rear of the frame are badly damaged as were our mountain bikes. Depending what happens with insurance I may try to build something similar to what lx450landcruiser did on his Tacoma. I have access to a metal shop so building it myself is realistic. If I had to pay somebody else to do it I probably wouldn't consider it an option due to expense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We got rear ended in our Tacoma this weekend. Luckily no people or dogs were hurt. The Flippac seems fine. We slept in it that night. The bed and very rear of the frame are badly damaged as were our mountain bikes. Depending what happens with insurance I may try to build something similar to what lx450landcruiser did on his Tacoma. I have access to a metal shop so building it myself is realistic. If I had to pay somebody else to do it I probably wouldn't consider it an option due to expense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cheers!:coffee drink: Im getting close to V2 version flatbed for my Tacoma and will be selling my currently one soon. Sounds like I should start selling flatbeds to stay ahead of the curve:sombrero:

Attachments

• truck.JPG
    truck.JPG
    152.5 KB · Views: 41

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior