Broke Down

Garbinator

SeekTheMoneyTree
If this thing will work, here is a very funny experience we experienced on a small adventure near Roswell N.M.

Garbinator

SeekTheMoneyTree
Front end of that tow truck was mighty light that day, oh! Our German Shepard? He had to ride in the truck cab!

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Tow truck drivers are the unsung heroes of our times.
I was towed off the freeway once by a young man who'd been hospitalized the month before by an idiot driver who struck him while texting. I always tip the drivers.
Glad you got it back to Roswell without being abducted.

Last edited:

unkamonkey

Explorer
A few years ago my neighbor was driving home from Moab with his Jeep hooked on and a large camper on his recently pucrhased F350 Dually Powerstroke 4X4. They could tell something wasn't right in the truck so they unhooked the Jeep and his son followed on the way to Denver. He got to town, Huge cloud of brown smoke from under the hood and then nothing. EGR went bad and was pouring antifreeze in to the motor. They had about the same sized tow truck sent by AAA. Hauled it about 65 miles to the dealer they had gotten it from. Went the next day and transferred the camper to his sons PU. He did buy the extra warranty so that helped when he got the truck back. Complete melt down of the motor. Ford put a new one in and Mike drove soon to a local diesel shop that did the $1,200 EGR delete. Easy enough to unhook the hoses, once you get the intake manifold off. Then you have to get the computer fooled so it thinks the EGR is still there.

Garbinator

SeekTheMoneyTree
I always thought Ford had a limp mode. Similar thing happened to my bud when we started out on a trip to Death valley. His EGR valve went sour as well. So far, my DuraMax has served me well. However, I do keep it completely stock to include the factory Air cleaner. It is not a daily driver. My fingers are crossed my EGR valve will not cause me an expensive engine rebuild. But who knows? I just try keeping it up to snuff and good to go.

As for Rosewell and the aliens... we saw all sorts of crazy signs, some down-right funny! Entertaining! Interesting city to visit, and the Rosewell GMC/Chevy dealership was amazing service and friendly. My wife got so made that evening she wanted to trade the whole camper and truck in for a new vehicle and drive home. They allowed us to stay in our camper the whole time they worked on it.

Last edited:

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
I drove a tow truck for awhile. Not sure I would have risked that; pretty ballsy. The bed had a big arc in it. I tried to tow an ambulance once with a truck that had an aluminum bed. When I went to lift the foot up, the bed popped off the rails. That thing looked like it could do the same. Aside from that, it was a fun job. I learned a ton about winching/recovery.

Garbinator

SeekTheMoneyTree
Don't think I had my serious doubts! With N.M. Winds becoming an issue, the frontend of the tow truck began lifting itself off the pavement and bouncing a bit. It was the longest white-knuckle 54 miles We ever did in our 41 years together. This young man was a rather gutsy fella whom I will never forget.

Who sayz ah guys gotta be off road to discover adventure.

grogie

Like to Camp
Wow! That was something! And interesting to watch the mobile home pass by... (lol)

I'm glad that you made it. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz