Gen 3 - Cargo area "booming"

montypower

Adventure Time!
The bolt should fit tight with the shock bushing. However, the bushing is significantly larger diameter than the bolt resulting in the shock banging around.

I had to torch the stock sleeve out of the factory shock bushing then grind it down slightly to give a nice tight fit. That lower shock bolt should be torqued to 113 +/- 18ft lbs. You can't get proper torque unless you have an inner shock sleeve to tighten against. Otherwise, you are just compressing the OME bushing while it still has slop from being larger diameter than the bolt.

Unless yours is different than mine... it is an issue and poorly designed for our trucks. Regardless if you hear a noise or not it should be done properly.

nnamssorxela

Adventurer
I think I remember checking the fit, but maybe I'm mistaken. I'll try to make time to check it out sometime this weekend and report back for any of those interested.

EDIT: If I recall correctly, the bolt is a tight fit into the holes on the mounting bracket, and i remember tapping slightly on the shock "eye" to get it to line up exactly with the bracket hole since they were the same size. Either way, I'll pull it apart and double check for peace of mind.

NH Moto Expo

Adventurer
Did anyone figure this out? I installed OME suspension on mine and now have a rattle in the back. It wasn't there at first but now I hear it all the time while driving down the road. It's not a loud booming but it's definitely from suspension. Unfortunately I too discarded my old shocks when the job was done.
Just so I have this right. Is it the length of the bushing that needs to increase? Or the inner diameter? I can possibly get a sleeve turned down or look for a larger thru bolt...but I want to make sure I have what I need.

bikerjosh

Explorer
I think I have this going on with my 98. It does have OME shocks. Started sounding like I had a loose body panel or something. My buddy hopped in the truck with me yesterday and after the first "boom" he looked at me and said something to the effect of "What are you special? That is coming from the rear suspension." :smiley_drive: I guess I better dig into this.

nnamssorxela

Adventurer
I've been dragging my feet, but will be getting around to it this week as I need to replace some rear arm components.

Montypower, these sentences are a little unclear to me: "The bolt should fit tight with the shock bushing. However, the bushing is significantly larger diameter than the bolt resulting in the shock banging around." If the bolt fits tight in the bushing, and the bushing fits tight in the control arm bracket (and shock eye), I'm not sure where the play could be coming from. I imagine that it will be apparent when I dig into it, but I'm not sure I follow what you're saying.

nnamssorxela

Adventurer
Checked this out last night. The bolt that goes through the bushing is snug in the sleeve with no play. The shock eye fits snug in the control arm with no play. The one thing I did not check was if the inner and outer bushing sleeves were the same width as the shock eye, but I believe they are.

I do not get any booming.

Any suggestions? I'd be happy to measure anything while I'm down there if needed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior