Roof Rack Storage Bags

BuckBlue90

I have looked through a number of older threads but wondered if there was anything new on the market.
Thinking of a large storage bag that can hold bulky lightweight gear such as duvets, sleeping bags and the like. Which is why it would HAVE to be waterproof.
Maybe something like the Sherpak Elite 20.
Is this something I am never going to find, or even completely waterproof hard boxes?
What do you find works?
Thanks

doug720

Expedition Leader
I have been using a Big Foot waterproof bag for many of the same items for many years and have been very satisfied. It has been on the roof rack while driving in pouring rain for many hours with no leaks. It's opens for easy packing and has held up well.

No connection, just a satisfied user.

http://www.bigfootbag.com/

Happy Joe

Apprentice Geezer
I just use the old school, rubberized fabric, military wet weather bags... their water tightness is directly related to the skill/care used in closing them however.

Enjoy!

nwoods

Expedition Leader
I used to use a Rola "Platypus" bag. It was pretty great. Expandable, waterproof, many ways to attach it, very well made
http://www.etrailer.com/Roof-Cargo-Carrier/Rola/59100.html
$125 or thereabouts.

59100_1000.jpg

sliders-XL.jpg

Journeys-26-X3.jpg

perkj

Explorer
I use the "3D Maxpider Foldable Roof Bag with Aluminum mounting bars". The huge advantage is that the bag has an aluminum frame on the bottom and you use it to mount it to your roof rack or cross bars, so no need to fuss around with straps (though they make one that straps down too). Plus it folds down flat when not it use. The bag is a perfect fit to go in the main area in my LR3 Bajarack roof rack. It includes a waterproof cover as well that covers the entire bag. Wait for a 20% off coupon sale from Autoanything and you can pick it up cheap. you can also get really good deals on them thru eBay, however they are not authorized dealers like AutoAnything is and thus the warranty won't be valid.

http://www.autoanything.com/roof-racks/3d-maxpider-foldable-roof-bag

3dmaxpider_display_roof_bag_blk_w_rack.jpg

3dmaxpider_roof_bag_blk_w_rack_bottom.jpg

Here is a video showing how you install it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FG-zLE-ACFI

The only pic I have of it on the LR3:
IMG_4592.JPG

Last edited:

summerprophet

Adventurer
Large dry bags, or dry sacks.
Anything you find from sailing, kayaking or marine supply stores, is going to be completely waterproof.

For me, I just use north face base camp duffles. Not waterproof exactly, but used for the exact purpose you are seeking and had no problems. Just make sure the zippers are facing towards the back of the vehicle, and you won't have any seeping.

Robert Bills

Explorer
I use a custom-made gear bag from Blue Ridge Overland Gear. [blueridgeoverlandgear.com] I use it to store a tent, groundcloth, sleeping pads, awning tarp and two "bag chairs," i.e. lightweight stuff.

It compresses to 3 1/2" tall (the depth of my roof rack measured from the floor to the top of the rails and also the height of one mounted 2 gal. Rotopax container) for "stealth" and those occasions that I am traveling alone and only need gear for me.

It expands to 6 1/2" tall (the height of two stacked 2 gal. Rotopax containers) for trips requiring more gear.

DepHep%2520Roof%2520Rack%2520Basket%2520with%2520Rotopax%2520Cans%252C%2520Blue%2520Ridge%2520Overland%2520Gear%2520Bag%2520and%2520Antenna%2520Mounts%25201.jpg

IMG_0270.JPG

11391325_958030797542962_6836368122551898576_n.jpg

ab1985

Explorer
^very nice! I bought a military medic case for a bit more storage on the roof but really like this. Blue Ridge Overland stuff is great. Love my Dutch oven bag.

elvi679

no go for Thule bag

I own the Thule Quest Cargo Bag - and water will get thru the zippers in a good rain - I learned the hard way... of course, if you keep your stuff in waterproof bags inside you should be fine - but
note - they do not market it as waterproof:

Storm flaps with velcro fasteners protect zippers
Packaged in its own stuff sack for easy transport and storage
Durable 600 Denier material, weather resistant body
13 cu ft., 40" l x 32" w x 18" h 6lbs.
Measures 32 x 18 x 40 inches (W x H x D), and has a load capacity of 13 cubic feet

^very nice! I bought a military medic case for a bit more storage on the roof but really like this. Blue Ridge Overland stuff is great. Love my Dutch oven bag.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz