Ford 5.4 Stall when Hot & Towing

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
You'll have to excuse me if this isn't the ideal place to post this... It's the Forum I know and frequent.

A co-worker has a 2004 Ford F series with a 5.4. When he was towing his camping trailer with his loaded truck up one of the bigger (& longer) grades in these parts trafic slowed to a near stop near the top. His truck stalled. It restarted easily, but ran rough for a bit before it smoothed out. Temperature guage read normal... But it was very hot out, and inside the tuck. He said it has done it one other time when he had it sitting ideling on his sloped driveway.

When questioned he said the truck has sputtered a bit when he tries to accelerate hard below 1/4 tank. The check engine light hasn't lit. He's leary about changing plugs because of the plug breaking reputation.

Thoughts I've had:
1) contaminated fuel (old, water, crud)
2) fuel pump
3) fuel filter
4) air filter
5) vapor lock
6) plugs
7) cap/rotor/wires (or whatever 5.4s have... Don't own a Ford gasser)
8)?

Anyone have any ideas? Similar problems?

He's taking it to a shop, but doesn't know if they'll be able to solve it... I've got no faith in mechanics being able to solve such an intermittent problem. He doesn't want to break down in the middle of the road

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
What's the mileage on it?
When was the last time the transmission was serviced?
Is he or you sure he's towing within the limits of the truck?
And have you checked to see if there are any codes in the computer?

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
I'll ask about mileage and service and weights.
It's a heavier smallish trailer.

I've not plugged in my Scan gauge, but the check engine light hasn't come on if that means anything.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Could a tranny issue cause the engine to sputter and stall?

Would there be any useful info in the computer if the check engine light didn't come on?

Thanks for looking, and in advance for replies.

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
Could a tranny issue cause the engine to sputter and stall?

Would there be any useful info in the computer if the check engine light didn't come on?

Thanks for looking, and in advance for replies.
The converter has a lock up and they can stick. Below 1/4 tank issue has fuel or filters name on it. My Dads truck with the same engine was sputtering. I did the garden hose trick and it fixed it. While hot rev the engine while your spraying the garden sprayer into the intake. The steam breaks up carbon and blows it out the pipe. It works great. All of these newer engines have what's called inversion. Google engine inversion. It basically sucks exhaust backwards gumming up the intake runners and valve. The steam cleans it.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
It has 170,000 km on it (just over 100k miles). He has taken it in to have it worked on. The only codes relate to misfires, and has been told the plugs need to be replaced. At the same time the tranny is also being serviced.

There were no codes related to the fuel system.

He hopes that his bank account isn't completly empty before he gets it back and that this work resolves the problems. He also mentioned that some of the shifts are a bit rough.

Thanks Again.

Gtdad

Adventurer
IMo misfires are fuel pump related not transmission related and the Codes for misfires are meaningless. I would still bet my money on the fuel pump as his symptoms are major deja vu for me and my fuel pump woes I ve had in the past with vehicles.
i would have the fuel pump check out before bothering with new spark plugs since if it fuel pump then his plugs are fine and saves 500+ buck to get them changed.
Put that money in the fuel pump which lives in the tank , hopefully his tank is too full right now.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
It's already in the shop for the plugs.

It does sound more like a fuel pump issue. He also told me it is running rough at idle, so I'm sure cxhanging the 10+ year old plugs isn't a bad idea.

He knows if it still has issues, that the pump will be next.

Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles