Advice needed before I pull the trigger

seancampbell

Hello Brains Trust,

I'm a long time lurker and looking to purchase an ex-railways Canter. As I'm not in a position to view the truck ( "Ute" if my wife asks), I have had many conversations with the owner and in my opinion he has been fairly honest with me.

Below are some photo's I asked for of the chassis/under body, can anyone see anything to be worried about with a 14 year old truck? (Yes, he has told me about an oil leak from somewhere in the motor/gearbox area and leaking clutch slave cylinder)

Thanks,

Sean

Attachments

• IMG_0148.jpg
    IMG_0148.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_0146.jpg
    IMG_0146.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_0147.jpg
    IMG_0147.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 27

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
Firstly... welcome as a contributor. :)

The most critical area of the chassis to check on an FG is the area around the step section. If there are cracks in the frame, this is the most likely place that they will be.

yabanja

Explorer
It's really hard to tell from only 3 pictures. The best thing to do is to pay someone to do a pre purchase inspection if you can't be there yourself. I would never buy a vehicle sight unseen without an inspection by a mechanic that knows the vehicle.

Allan

gait

Explorer
are they labels on the rear diff housing? It looks a bit cleaner than the rest, has it been replaced?

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
Firstly... welcome as a contributor. :)

The most critical area of the chassis to check on an FG is the area around the step section. If there are cracks in the frame, this is the most likely place that they will be.

Like this? :)

10558819_10102012385550139_1036515887_o.jpg

seancampbell

YES ^

That's what mine look's like. I just wanted to make sure I fit in here....... :sombrero:

I've got a mate going out that way next week. I'll get him to have a closer look for me. Fingers crosses, there will be another build thread soon.

Sean

blackduck

Explorer
Ask alan what sort of woes can be faced when you buy an old maintenance truck
the thing about company work trucks, you always drive them like they belong to someone else

seangrips

I bought an ex railways fg637 in 2001 that came from Charleville with 105k kms. 250k later, still very happy with it. Just had the original clutch replaced and asked if they could replace the main bearing seal while the box was off as I've always had oil leaking past the bell housing. The main seal was fine and the leak was noted from somewhere higher. I can not complain about how well this little ute has performed (have always wanted to upgrade to turbo, but life never lets you get there)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online