Odyssey & DieHard Platinum AGM Users - what are you using for float chargers/tenders?

228B

Observer
Odyssey & DieHard Platinum AGM Users - what are you using for float chargers/tenders?

Odyssey & DieHard Platinum AGM Users - what are you using for float chargers/tenders? We know that Odyssey/EnerSys, who also makes the DieHard Platinum AGM batteries, recommends a float, or, maintenance trickle charge of 13.5 to 13.8 volts.
My EnerSys/Odyssey OMAX - 50A - 1B charger finishes it's 14.7 volt absorption phase with a 13.6 float, with it's fans still running, producing a wee bit too much noise. What fanless battery tender/maintainers deliver a 13.6 float voltage? Ones I've tried to use seem to top out at 13.4...
Thanks in advance for any reply.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
EnerySys and Sears dissolved their relationship, btw. I don't know yet where they're going to source the new DHP.

When I had a DHP, I used a big Sears charger to maintain it.

pdxfrogdog

Adventurer
I'm using the same Odyssey Ultimizer 50A charger, mainly for the amps it can deliver. Agree with you about the fan noise. Here is what I do during the late spring, summer and early fall when camping trips are coming regularly every 2 to 4 weeks: Get home and immediately throw the battery on the Ultimizer... it's typically recharged in about 4 hours. Let it float on the charger until the next morning then disconnect and stow the charger. The battery (a group 31 DHP) just sits until the next trip... it just doesn't lose anything in the 2 to 4 weeks of sitting around. After trip, repeat process above. In the fall, I'll probably be looking for something cheap and quiet to keep the battery floating at 13.6 over the winter and early spring where camping isn't typically happening.

broken1

Observer
I have the DHP Group 31 in my Tacoma that is my DD, every couple of weeks or before/after a trip I set it on one of these for the night to make sure it gets fully charged.
industrial-commercial-series-34-view-product.png

http://interacter.com/products/industrial-commercial-series-overview/ Made in 'murica and the support people are ridiculously helpful with prompt and detailed assistance. Mine was responded to within 10 minutes on a weekend by a senior engineer, He helped me adjust mine (there were instructions on line and from support) to exactly the specs and numbers provided by Odyssey on their website. Interacter makes a line that is blessed by Odyssey but now that mine is adjusted properly it is all the same.

Also, this throws an honest to goodness 25 amps all day long if it has to. The transformer in it is about the size of a softball. It will melt wires if you don't size appropriately. Oh and no fan just a slight hum from the transformer, never had a problem with it. I've used it on everything from a 4X parallel battery bank to this application. I've used it to bring crap batteries back form the dead, etc... Can't recommend them highly enough.

MJCake1

These batteries require a good 40 to 50 amp charge for complete conditioning or they will start to lose their power overtime and end up discharging much more quickly.
I had my DHP 31 AGM Marine in an ArkPak with a 1.5amp 7 stages smart charger for a couple of years and started to notice this behavior. Just recently found out why and got an Odyssey 40 charger to bring her back to life. I wouldn't waste the money on a trickle charger. Just juice it up every couple of months in the off season she should be good.

M&M Overland Adventures

228B

Observer
These batteries require a good 40 to 50 amp charge for complete conditioning or they will start to lose their power overtime and end up discharging much more quickly.
Sure! They like to be hit with some juice during the bulk charge phase (to +/- 80% state of charge), yes... however the next phase is critical: the absorption phase... with voltage in the 14.7 range, and for HOURS. This is the issue that people who are chronically undercharging their Odysseys are having: they're not getting the battery to enough absorption voltage and for not enough time.
I've discovered quite a bit of experienced info here on this forum, and from HandyBob's blog, and, most importantly, from EnerSys/Odyssey themselves:
Odyssey Application Manual -and- Charging Criteria See Pages 10, 11 and 12.
Since I've posted this thread's question, I've "tuned" my solar charge controller's voltage set points in both Absorption and Float. When the battery is not being charged then floated by my solar electric system's Morningstar SunSaver MPPT 15-L charge controller, the camp trailer it is in is parked, connected to "shore" 120V and I float the battery on the OMAX's 13.6V.

James86004

Expedition Leader
EnerySys and Sears dissolved their relationship, btw. I don't know yet where they're going to source the new DHP.

When I had a DHP, I used a big Sears charger to maintain it.
When did that happen? Are the DHPs in the store still Enersys?

When I looked at Odysseys a couple of years ago the equivalent DHP was a lot cheaper. Two months ago when I needed another battery the Odyssey from Amazon was almost the same price as the DHP, and since Sears was out of stock I got the Odyssey.

228B

Observer
Are the DHPs in the store still Enersys?
Yes. I have a Group 31 DHP and it's the same in every detail as the pair of Group 31s in stock at one location that I have my eye on, but I have to save some scratch to buy them. If they're there when it's time, then, great. If not, I'll pay a lil' more and get the orange ones.
As for how long they'll remain available, it's probably a matter of what's already in the pipeline will be distributed, sold, then that's it. What the warranty replacement becomes, who knows.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne