16" or 17" wheels?

Gravity

Observer
Looking for some Pro's/Con's on wether i should get 16 or 17 rims on my new wheels
Will be running 35's in either a 35/12.5/17 or 315/75/16's load range E tires and most likely the Toyo AT2s. They will be on a SMB that is coming in a bit over 10.5k lbs

Currently running 285/75/16s on it so the 16's will clear my brakes. Anyone of these 2 have typically better tire availability in Central or So America?

Thanks

-d

onetraveller

Adventurer
I had never seen a good argument for larger rims aside from clearance for larger brakes or steering components until this past week, aesthetics not withstanding. While driving through a mud pit at a local 4x4 event, several participants broke alloy rims when rocks got lodged between the brake caliper and the rim. The pressure of the moving rim pushing the rock against the immovable caliper punctured holes in the inside of the alloy rims, completely ruining them. One guy lost 3 rims at once. I think a larger rim may have saved those breaks by allowing the stones to pass through, but it's also possible that a smaller rim wouldn't have let the rocks make it in that far in the first place.

Smaller rims are usually cheaper and lighter. It does seem, however, that the number of tire options for 17s is increasing while the options for 16s are decreasing.

For Jeeps, the bigger brake kits require 17 inch rims.

Mike

1stDeuce

Explorer
With 35's, you won't notice much difference between the two, but if you plan to go to SA, stick with 16's. 35's will be pretty tough to find, but tires for 17's may be even more difficult... :)

rayra

Expedition Leader
If trekking somewhere really rural or otherwise at the far end of the supply chain, it might be easier to find a replacement tire for a 16" rim.

mtndude23

Observer
On my tundra, I swapped the stock 17's for 16's right away. The price jump for 17" tires pretty ridiculous. Also many more options available for 16" rims.

Mrknowitall

Adventurer
Remember that the most common 35 is the 315/70R17 on the Raptor and H2. So at least in the States, there should be the least challenge in that size for availability.

nick325i

Adventurer
I don't about SA, but the trend here is definitely going larger. I would go with 17's. It seems like there is a lot of availability on 17" - 20" all-terrain tires.

I have steel 16's on my RRC and I'm dreading the day they stop making 255/85's (which has already happened with some tires).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior