G55 Build

asutherl

Observer
I picked a 2003 G55 several months ago from Hawaii with 60k miles on the clock. The deal seemed too good to pass up and I bought it based on pictures from the internet ad. It was a rough start, but it's getting close to being where I wanted it.

I took the LA subway (yes, there is a subway in LA) to Compton to pick it up at the shipping warehouse. I made it 1 block and the truck sputtered to a stop with the check engine light on! Thankfully, it was just out of gas, but still a major pain in the ********!

g55 stranded.jpg

Once fueled up, I jumped on the highway and headed to an appointment in Venice; however, the truck had horrible acceleration and virtually no throttle response! A quick web search and it sounded like the accelerator position sensor was toast. I replaced it and it's

As it looked once it was washed and home:

g55 home.jpg

About a month after taking delivery, I came out of my local watering hole and I couldn't get the truck to shift out of park and the brake light malfunction was blasting. Another quick web search (I should have looked at the manual in the glove box) and I jammed a ball point pen in the over-ride port to get me home. A quick trip to the Benz dealer the following morning netted me a brake light switch and all has been well since.

Now that I worked out some of the post purchase bugs, I moved on to upgrading!

asutherl

Observer
First order of business was the OME lift and new Braid Winrace Dakar rally wheels and 33" tires:

g55 braid wheels.jpg

Articulation isn't awesome on the G (coming from an LC 100).

g55 1A trail.jpg

I found out quickly that my front diff wasn't operational. A quick bleed, or lack thereof, made it clear the hydraulic fluid was solidified due to non-use.

asutherl

Observer
Finally...the Desert Services roof rack and rear ladder arrived! Exchange rates have been good!

G55 almost done.jpg

I'm really impressed with this rack and ladder! Top notch German design and build quality!

More to come...but lots of progress in 3 months!

Last edited:

scottishpinz

Adventurer
You've already turned that into a nice looking truck. Shows how a few practical modifications can take an urban cruiser back to an off-road thoroughbred!

ILIAN

Adventurer
Truck is looking nice. Can you please post some more pictures of the roof rack? How does it look from the top? Have you found center caps for the wheels? How far do the AMG fender flares stick out from the body?

peneumbra

Explorer
A very nice-looking truck. Maybe it wasn't working correctly at first because it was upset about having to leave Hawai'i...

asutherl

Observer
Truck is looking nice. Can you please post some more pictures of the roof rack? How does it look from the top? Have you found center caps for the wheels? How far do the AMG fender flares stick out from the body?

I'll get some pictures of the top of the rack. I don't plan on running center caps....no need really.

The AMG flares stick out approximately 4.75" from the body.

Andrew

otiswesty

Regular guy
Those wheels look really great.
I have always liked the early naturally aspirated G55 as a step up from a G500, good choice there.

asutherl

Observer
looks like you had to drill into the body for the ladder? :Wow1:

No drilling required....clamps to the gutter at the top and the bottom uses hook and loop pads to keep the ladder from moving around. I've used it 10x already...so far so good!

shaggag

awesome start! Those wheels are unique and look great. Do those g55s have different brakes than the standard g500? Any issues with brake clearance?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles