Isuzu Trooper Pricing Guide

PHeller

Adventurer
In an effort to better help others determine if they are paying the right amount for their Trooper, I was hoping we could start a Pricing Guide.

Basically, just give us:

Year, Model, Tranmission
Mileage (when purchased or sold)
Maintenance (good, bad, when sold)
Rust or Overall Condition
Modifications (when purchased or sold)
Price paid or Price sold (or both)

If you're worried about giving away potential profit margins, feel free say "Bought for $1,XXX, sold for $2,XXX", as it will at least give the rest of us a ball park idea of how awesome you are at finding deals.

Last edited:

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
I dunno, haven't shopped for one for a long time. If you ask over on Planet Isuzoo you definitely would get some opinions.

nfpgasmask

Adventurer
Honestly, Troopers are in a weird spot right now, especially gen1s. They are kind of on the cusp of becoming "classics", but they still don't have the widespread appreciation that older Toyotas, Jeeps or Rovers have. So, even when they are considered by more folks to have a greater value in the classic dept, I still don't think they will ever command prices as high as vintage vehicles with the aforementioned marques. As for gen2s, it really just depends on the seller and the condition of the vehicle. You can still find good deals out there on Troopers. But, I am starting to see people ask for top dollar too, like these guys:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Isuzu-Troop...tr=true&hash=item1ea0485dc6&item=131538116038

To me, that is way to much money for a vehicle with 174,000 miles on the ticker....ANY vehicle short of some really rare classic. I wouldn't pay more than $2000 for a Trooper like that. So it's gonna be a case by case kinda thing.

Bart

PHeller

Adventurer
I'm trying to get this local guy to take $2,000 for a 1997 5spd with 180k.

Sounds as though it should be pretty bulletproof, especially after a recent timing belt and water pump change.

Does the 3.2l blow headgaskets often?

nfpgasmask

Adventurer
I think that would be a very fair price if the vehicle is in solid shape with all the proper maintenance. I don't think the 3.2 is as prone to head gasket failure as the earlier 2.6s were. It all comes down to proper maintenance of the cooling system as well as age. In gen2 form, a 97 with a 5-speed is the best combo you can get domestically.

Bart

PHeller

Adventurer
Got it for what I wanted! Should be a fun truck.

1997 Isuzu Trooper 5spd (Aisin AR-5)
182,000 miles
Good condition, recent timing belt and water pump service with receipts.
All recent oil change receipts. Needs a windshield (large crack) and front CV/axles.
Was asking $2400, paid $2,000.

IMG_0423_zps4hqgjplg.jpg

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
Very nice. Don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions, I'm pretty well versed in 2nd gen Troopers.

PHeller

Adventurer
BigSwede,

Most of my questions at least pertain to longevity and keeping this thing in one piece. I'm not super interested in dumping money into a 18 year old vehicle with 180k and virtually no resale value, so no huge bumpers, lifts, expensive tires or winches, none of that from me.

I just want to keep it reliable, make it comfortable enough to put another 50k on it before worrying about the engine or trans, and visit some less-seen sights of the desert southwest.

Shocks, sway bar mount bushings, slightly larger tires, manual hubs, better interior lighting and a sleeping platform are my current plans. That and fresh oil in both trans and motor. Previous owner was letting JiffyLube put 5w30 in the thing!

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
5W30 is what the manual says, although in AZ maybe you want something heavier. Here in MN I do use 5W30 Mobil One.

Although my Trooper is all built up I agree with you there is no need to go crazy. A lot of the stuff on my Trooper is stuff I had during my rock crawling days; I wouldn't bother with regearing and 35s these days if I didn't already have the gears.

In addition to your list I would suggest new rear springs as the factory coils are soccer-mom soft and can't carry much. OME has some good choices. HD tie rods are a good idea too, they are the weak link in the steering system and a broken tie rod can ruin your day (or at least carry a junkyard spare). And, sliders bring peace of mind when clambering over rocks, and provide a nice step too.

FurthurOnTheFly

Glamping Society
I just bought a 98 5 speed trooper about 6 weeks ago with 179k on the clock. Just got back from a 1400+ mile trip through the Sierras. Truck performed like a champ. Only maintenance I did was installed a deep cycle battery for the fridge and kept an eye on the oil throughout the trip. Enjoy it!

Nasty610

Have 2 Troopers both of which start every time and have yet to let me down. Easily the most durable vehicles I've owned. My 96 has had some issues but I cite the PO's maintenance habits as the problem more than the vehicle itself.

Year, Model, Tranmission
1996 Trooper Automatic
Mileage
Maintenance
Truck need a normal tune up and tires when I purchased it. The PO did very basic maintenance like oil changes but used the cheapest stuff possible so the engine had bad compression and my transmission went out when I filled it up with Dexron 6.
No rust with some random dents in the doors. Interior was in good shape aside from the sunroof the PO had installed. It leaks and will need to be replaced eventually
Modifications
After purchase I lifted using Grand Cherokee springs and installed Energy Suspension sway bar bushings.
Price paid or Price sold
Purchase price was $1600 with the tune up, tires, new interior and engine/transmission I have around $3500 into it.

Year, Model, Tranmission
1991 Trooper v6 Automatic
Mileage
292,000 when purchased
Maintenance
Truck needed a normal tune up and tires when I purchased it. The PO did very basic maintenance mainly with zip ties and duct tape.
Little rust on the rocker and front fender
Modifications
Have MSD coil pack, HD torsion bars & 4.3 TBI waiting to be installed
Price paid or Price sold
Purchase price was $500 with tires, shocks and various odds and ends I have $1600 into it.

PHeller

Adventurer
I just bought a 98 5 speed trooper about 6 weeks ago with 179k on the clock. Just got back from a 1400+ mile trip through the Sierras. Truck performed like a champ. Only maintenance I did was installed a deep cycle battery for the fridge and kept an eye on the oil throughout the trip. Enjoy it!

How much did you pay for that one?

I'm in a conundrum, a coworker is offering me his 98 Tacoma 5spd 2.7l with 180k and I get first offer, so I offered $3,000. I think the Tacoma would be more reliable in the long run, with cheaper parts, but I really like the size and interior space of the Trooper.

FurthurOnTheFly

Glamping Society
How much did you pay for that one?

I'm in a conundrum, a coworker is offering me his 98 Tacoma 5spd 2.7l with 180k and I get first offer, so I offered $3,000. I think the Tacoma would be more reliable in the long run, with cheaper parts, but I really like the size and interior space of the Trooper.

I paid $3k for mine. It came with all big ticket items already done, lift and tires. I also looked long and hard at the used Taco market because I've always wanted one, but at the end of the day I decided that I wanted a larger interior plus interior access. I have a daily driver so the Trooper is on adventure duty status, which made the decision easier. I sleep inside and wanted the option of stealth camp for me and my dog plus the ability to reach anything inside the vehicle without needing to get out if I don't have to.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94