What to replace in suspension?

brad2274

Adventurer
So i finally got the locked lugs of and looked and the corner with the tire that had negative camber wear and kinda looks crooked

Passenger tire also has inner wear but not visibly crooked

The driver fender has been replaced so I'm wondering if the arm is bent? I'm hoping its not the from or arm mount.
I was looking into a local used sport one but it'd be 50$ and the kit online with both new uppers, inner outer tie rod, and all ball joints for $150 so I'm thinking this is the way to go

Things I also found, frame to body mount in front look crooked and cracked? bad driver ball joint and passenger inner CV boot, no clicking so hope its just the boot

So you guys think i should go ahead and get that full kit and install it with that factory camber shim all the way down and hope its 0 camber?

Also the front sags so I was also curious if that affects the camber?

Eric M

Adventurer
I would be careful with kits from online. You really want at least reputable aftermarket parts like Moog, if you aren't going to get OEM. The sagging will affect the camber. That body mount is toast.

Scoutn79

Adventurer
If your tires were wearing like that from a camber issue you would have some serious problems and the lean in the tire would be very very noticeable...It would look like something was broken.

I am betting to much toe out. Have an alignment shop check the toe, at the same time you can have them repair any of the worn steering components. If you are comfortable with it You could, before going to the alignment shop, take the weight off of your front suspension and get under there and wiggle, pull and pry on all of the ball joints and replace any that wiggle in the least.

Darrell

dieseltechJay

Observer
It's a camber issue and not toe. There's no signs of tire "feathering".. The front end sagging could definitely lead to that. Torsion bars may not be at the right ride height. Replace what's broken/worn and then take it for an alignment.

Salonika

Monterror Pilot
I would never be able to look at a tire and say why the wear is uneven. It's cheap to have it checked out. I'd take it for an alignment check and let them tell me what's wrong, then I'd fix it and bring it back and be done with it. My local shop told me the alignment couldn't be done and why, and charged me a small fee, less than the price of a full alignment.

brad2274

Adventurer
Yeah the tire is visibly cambered in on that one side, but not the other. (both have negative camber wear)
That's what I'm looking at doing, get a benchmark and I need to figure out if the frame is straight as it looks like the frame isn't centered with the body, those mounts could be a culprit or a result I don't know but its worrying.

Simons

Adventurer
Is it just me or does that right rear wheel appear to be missing two lug nuts?
That tire wear didn't happen overnight. I would guess you're correct about it being a camber issue. Have you driven the vehicle? Does it pull right at all?

brad2274

Adventurer
Oh I forgot to mention that, its not that bad going slow but on the highway like 45 and up it pulls really hard to the left or right I can't remember which, I think right.
And good eye yes it has 2 studs broken off, hope those aren't hard to replace

dieseltechJay

Observer
Yeah the tire is visibly cambered in on that one side, but not the other. (both have negative camber wear)
That's what I'm looking at doing, get a benchmark and I need to figure out if the frame is straight as it looks like the frame isn't centered with the body, those mounts could be a culprit or a result I don't know but its worrying.

It's probably not straight. I honestly wouldn't worry about going to a shop and getting a benchmark at this moment. I'd get the parts replaced and then go from there. Hopefully this isn't your daily. I honestly wouldn't be driving it like this till everything has been gone through.

brad2274

Adventurer
Update, local shop I use a lot is gonna look at it for free tomorrow morning and just kinda figure how bad it is I guess, then I'll go from there.
It's probably not straight. I honestly wouldn't worry about going to a shop and getting a benchmark at this moment. I'd get the parts replaced and then go from there. Hopefully this isn't your daily. I honestly wouldn't be driving it like this till everything has been gone through.
I have a daily that's for sale right now, still registered, but I have been driving it around and it feels fine just cruising around at 45 or so, but its getting torn into as soon as money comes in and results from inspection tomorrow moafternoon

brad2274

Adventurer
Alright alignment shop said the frame isnt bent but the left front bodymount is bent. they said its the bolt inside the broken mount thats bent.
Also said to replace
-all tie rods
-all ball joints
-pitman/idler
-right front axle
i figured that all would need to be done, ill order parts soon.

Anyone know where to get the rubber/metal body mounts??

Simons

Adventurer
You must be relieved that the frame is straight. As far as the mount goes, you might be best to check at a wrecker.

brad2274

Adventurer
I actually just found a site that has them for $12 and they're OEM! Bolt is another $5. I used a site a member posted a thread about last week. Although I just found out the body is forward a half inch and the mounts are bad because someone forgot the washers on them. I'll get new front mounts and loosen body bolts then shift it back a half inch on frame

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles