Solar help

Mushin_Noshin

Adventurer
Ok please don't bash me, I know there are 100 threads about this question but I'm to lazy to read through them all. My question is I'm looking for a solar setup with everything needed to simply setup when I get to camp to hook to battery, and keep it charged while it runs a 63qt fridge. It will not be permanently installed in vehicle as I would like to be able to use it from vehicle to vehicle to boat or trailer. Please let me know what you are using and any links to where you bout it. Again being lazy! Thanks

1stDeuce

Explorer
I won't bash you for being lazy, but there's an actual section for 12v solar questions, which is where your inquiry belongs... Hopefully one of the mods will move this there.

There are several setups out there, and most of them are decent, and most are a good bit more expensive than putting a kit together. Just go back to the main forum page, scroll all the way down to the Power Systems heading, and surf around for 5 minutes.

I get my solar stuff from solarblvd.com. They have kits too, and pretty good prices. Somethimes they have slightly better prices on ebay too, but I don't recall their ebay store name.

Mushin_Noshin

Adventurer
So just gonna do Renogy suitcase. Looks nice n easy. As a bonus we were training at work today and cutting up some cars. Rolled the hood back on one and what did I find? 2 month old Odyssey battery! Score! Thx again for info.

rayra

Expedition Leader
Depending on your budget and 'brand consciousness', Harbor Freight routinely sells / sales a decent 3-panel 45watt kit that does a decent job. Usually the whole kit is available for <$150. Lots of survival / prepper forum posts about it working ok, as well as a metric buttload of YouTube vids of interesting installations / projects with them.

There are al lot more efficient panels available now at much cheaper prices per watt, but if you want a turn-key system the HF kit isn't a bad place to start / experiment.

Last edited:

plh

Explorer
Depending on your budget and 'brand consciousness', Harbor Freight routinely sells / sales a decent 3-panel 45watt kit that does a decent job. Usually the whole kit is available for <$150. Lots of survival / prepper forum posts about it working ok, as well as a metric buttload of YouTube vids of interesting installations / projects with them.

There are al lot more efficient panels available now at much cheaper prices per watt, but if you want a turn-key system the HF kit isn't a bad place to start / experiment.

Much better deal is to get the standard 100 watt kit from Renogy rather than the HF kit. About $190 shipped. Might run sales sometimes too. (most of the time I'm a HF fan boy)

http://www.renogy-store.com/Renogy-100W-12V-Monocrystalline-Solar-Starter-Kit-p/kit-starter100d.htm

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94

Members online