Intake Manifold Swap, AKA Variable Intake Plenum Delete

dieseltechJay

Observer
Okay, did a search and found nada. Interested to see if anyone has bothered trying to swap intake manifolds and get rid of the variable runner intake "cyclone" manifold? I specifically have a 2G SR with the 6G74 DOHC, but I know there are enough similarities between designs that something's gotta work. I like simplicity and finding ways to eliminate extra stuff that can break.

mudraider

Adventurer
Haven't heard of anything else that goes on there. couple folks have redone the bushings in them, or bought a new manifold

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Howah

Observer
I have two manifolds. One has the front seal sealed off with silicone so it works off the long runners at all times then the second one has the variable valves deleted so its acting as a short runner manifold at all times. Feels different with each setup. Or get a new manifold from mitsu.

dieseltechJay

Observer
What's the problem with the stock manifold?

For starters my rig was bought as-is so I'm unsure if it works or not. I'll do a vacuum test, but as for what's wrong, as racer I simply prefer simplicity and less moving parts. I have noticed that even the single runner intakes are huge and complicated though. I wonder if the Pajero Evo had the same manifold or not.

jlocster

Explorer
Diesel, you probably already know this because you're familiar with Mitsubishis, but for those that aren't, those 3.5L DOHC engines on the 1995/96 SRs are commonly known to ingest the butterfly valves with can result in catastrophic engine failure. I've read many accounts of people simply removing the butterflies with little effect on engine performance.

dieseltechJay

Observer
Diesel, you probably already know this because you're familiar with Mitsubishis, but for those that aren't, those 3.5L DOHC engines on the 1995/96 SRs are commonly known to ingest the butterfly valves with can result in catastrophic engine failure. I've read many accounts of people simply removing the butterflies with little effect on engine performance.

Yeah, hence why I wanted them gone, but I personally wanted a cleaner airflow from single runner intake. I may have to just play around with manifolds and see.

montero98ls

Observer
I purchased the new part number one, which I guess still has problems after 100k, but honestly it'll be beat to hell by the time I hit that. Reason I Didn't delete was , I wasn't sure about smog and I like things to be in original condition(engine wise)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles