1997 Disco Stock brush guard with winch

pdXDisco

Observer
I'm picking up a 2nd 1997 disco tomorrow. It's a restoration truck, but it has the factory winch plate and Warn XD9000 that was available in '97. Looks like this:

gap9622.1-lg.jpg

I currently have a standard disco brush guard on my xd, but am hoping to combine the two to create this look:

28145d1302221756-anyone-here-own-1996-eco-challenge-xd-lr.jpg

Anyone ever done this before?

Also, it's my first time connecting a winch to the electrical system. Any advice? Thanks!

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
On the winch connection, larger cables connected directly to the battery. Use good quality cable and lugs with the lugs sealed with adhesive lined heat shrink.
If the battery to earth cable is large enough you can connect the winch earth to the same spot.
I use a high capacity battery disconnect for the winch. I use this one http://www.ryderfleetproducts.com/cole-hersee-75908/master-disconnect-switch-p-v30-75908
It's good for 500amps for several minutes.

I Leak Oil

Expedition Leader
Connecting the winch can be as simple as connecting the red cable to the +battery terminal, connecting the black cable to the -battery cable.

You can make the brush guard look like that, just cut weld repeat!

Ray_G

Explorer
If you are going to cut/weld to get that look...consider just cutting/welding to get to the Camel Trophy style look-but maybe that's just my daydream. Congrats on the 2nd Disco pickup with that somewhat rare piece of kit, thats great stuff.

pdXDisco

Observer
Thanks guys, I was super excited to find this setup on a $900 rig. I'm still debating trying to get the donor running, or just pull my parts, and be done with it.

I'll post up some pics when I get it all completed.

Another advice question, my lights flicker a bit when running, could this be my alternator?

Colin Hughes

Explorer
I had the whole set-up on my D1. The brush bar that came with the winch mount bolted to it. It rusted out so I just used the winch mount. Still have the plastic cover for the winch kicking around if you need one. I'll make you a great deal on it :) trek41.JPG Disco 3 small.jpg

pdXDisco

Observer
Actually, I might be! I picked up the truck today, and it does have the cover, but it has a big crack in it.

evilfij

Explorer
Those covers are great. Note the winch tray brush bar is shaped differently than the non winch one.

pdXDisco

Observer
Finally installed, brush guard to come...

Forgive the driveway shot, but it shows the winch/tray nicely.

Bj9ceG_8UCXy-1MP4mx9AvJlS3hsYk05v2mnimo0dSRqLXqU1x9ysR1fS6ijsowHM6XGgUjAKaHj-y-KbcCpz89tF24CQDMZ0bjaDUzVLQw2xQWUfq8ycic2W44HLw1DcyDgz_6GCFSKmk-sIpcHwAm_PrEFzaNJT6kNWhoKBoIgy1t-c8Tzs1Scw4gneQuUSxUB0Tv7qjUw-2otLHzcfVzqFIvVvy9O8NHrxp_oS6C-OwJczhmUUxo18VzwUmdX3JhMoJcqOgkPAu4NBO3Y6VZvpGA8OSXMOKiN9hO1KhKVndbLiRX_H2Hjj7U3iYvb_k4aF6rzHsbyUjpc5a1D5wUPcpQ-c22buLhzeQYPVbhVi5u003XS0HgZyyWrl90AVmk8BJ-fzlkDugUMmUyXt_k30MrvbV9pFUOcsbQ0abAcNYZa9udUgv93yLnMsduD5f6l_2J2HTaL_LtvlVQ6sAkTVkNXGJeJMLsJQ12_kdOqZkAs4b_0X87IUOBbA7sh1rdMQBiZHJhmMncsUhK--Jww4-IUUXAYX8Bfn1GptnWEihfPo44AojseCbkSrcLSeEAz_nP0bPICZMs-FLKJRZp95i9YbUQ=s1500-no

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior