Tactical Armor Group bumpers?

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
There's a reason TAG F/K/A Kennesaw Mountain gets lots of attention: Their prices are very low compared to competitors. I guess the photos of those welds show why. This is a great example of "if it seems too good to be true, it probably is."

rayra

Expedition Leader
Synchronicity

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1780994_if_welding_could_be_considered_sex__this_would_be_it.html

11873803_921949731185507_9145760855070318570_n.jpg

10689920_766826450031170_8751373269988531392_n.jpg

F40

Adventurer
Completely different kind of weld than the tag bumpers... Mig vs Tig. Tag bumpers may even by flux core under all that epoxy.

WUzombies

Adventurer
You talking about SOE as in Special Operations Equipment?

Yeah. If you follow them on social media you see some epically bad customer service, although it is kind of funny.

As for TAG bumpers I think most people could buy a cheap Chinese MIG from Harbor Freight and pull off better welds than what has been posted here.

rayra

Expedition Leader
Completely different kind of weld than the tag bumpers... Mig vs Tig. Tag bumpers may even by flux core under all that epoxy.

lol, notsomuch. There's aspects that make a good weld that have absolutely jack to do with the delivery method. Consistent solid bead, degree of penetration, puddling, weld profile / position, etc. The TAG examples show none of them.

Last edited:
Yeah. If you follow them on social media you see some epically bad customer service, although it is kind of funny.

As for TAG bumpers I think most people could buy a cheap Chinese MIG from Harbor Freight and pull off better welds than what has been posted here.

Ha, I have dealt with John Willis since being stationed at Pendleton and then seeing him with Yeager in Camden, TN. He is actually pretty good in person. ******** online. In his defense I still have a 3 point sling and wallet of his that would look new if ran thru the wash. Funny to see him mentioned.

Apples and Oranges here though. These guys have ****ty service AND a ****ty product. Just goes to show that being a good salesman is more important than being a good craftsman.

Root Moose

Expedition Leader
TAG should sell their ******** as unassembled kits. Some of their stuff looks to be decent in design, just gets ruined with bad welding.

Jack Stilts

Subaru Ambassador
I saw this post from one of the forum member 1984CUCV. He seemed very pleased with a bumper from RLC Welding. I think I am going to give them a try for a M1009 I am working on. He has some good pictures. Theres at least one good reference:ylsmoke:. PM him, maybe that will be a good lead for you.

James at RLC is a great guy to work with. I have not heard one negative review about his quality (solid), communication (excellent) and timing (less than Shrock). He's no-nonsense, easy to work with, and creates a great product. I have two bumpers he's made and I'm very pleased!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior